Author Topic: I said No! (but now I feel guilty and rude)  (Read 3856 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: I said No! (but now I feel guilty and rude)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
...    DD knew we had said "no sleepovers" for this weekend.  Second, DD is going to another friend's house for a sleepover! ...

Really all you can say is "I'm sorry, Hannah (or better yet, Hannah's Mother).  We already have plans for this weekend and won't even be here part of the time.  We won't be able to take care of you (your kids) this time." 

And give a similar answer any time one of them 'announces' that they're going to be spending the night -- or all day -- with your family.  You can always still invite them over for an hour or two every once in awhile so that they know you don't actually dislike them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:31:34 PM by gramma dishes »

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 01:24:00 AM »
Without a parent talking to you, there's no way to even know for certain that the parents are leaving the kids alone. It may just be that the kids are not making the transition to having Mom back home very well. It may be that the kids want to get out of the house to give their parents some alone time.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
This is why I had a rule that I had to talk to a parent (or guardian, if the parents weren't around - for whatever reason) before anyone slept over at our house who didn't live there.

The only time I broke that rule was when DD was older and someone showed up drunk at our house to visit her and her then-BF.  I was NOT going to send a drunk off behind the wheel of a car - and New Years' Eve is a bad time to find sober people to drive them home (he was technically old enough to drink - but wasn't old enough to have any sense, it seemed).  I probably should have called the police to see if they offered a taxi service for drunks to get home, due to the holiday, but I wasn't awake enough to think of that at the time.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?