News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 11:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "You're being rude" - Etiquette hypocrisy & misunderstandings  (Read 123975 times)

andi

Re: "You're being rude" - Etiquette hypocrisy & misunderstandings
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
the mother doubled back to yell at the lady for being "rude" and "intolerant" because he was "just a little boy, and doesn't know any better!".
Would it be retaliatory rudeness to tell the mother "Then teach him better!"?

That's what I always want to say.  Of corse he doesnt know better - that's what parents / guardians etc are put here for- to teach them!!!

doodlemor

« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »

The oldest boy shoved him and DS whacked his head against the glass hard.  The oldest boy then put both hands on DD's behind and SHOVED her forward.  And while he not have meant it in "that way," it seemed awfully convenient that he decided to put his hands on her behind. Meanwhile, the younger son just crawled over them all.

Actually, he probably did mean it "that way."  I used to teach kids that age, and unfortunately, that's how some of them think.

Twik

« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
I arrive in the parking lot, and since I don't have any of the owners of the placards in the truck with me, I bypass all the open handicap parking and pull into a regular spot about half way back. I hopped out of the truck only to be verbally assaulted by a crazy lady berating me for "abusing handicap parking".  I just looked at her like she was insane, closed the truck door and started walking into the store.  She followed me, yelling at me for at least half the walk.  I ignored her, but it seems that simply being in possession of the placards constituted "abuse" to her.  I didn't reply, only because if I dared open my mouth, I would have probably been guilty of retaliatory rudeness by busting into uproarious laughter right in her face, so I just kept my mouth shut.

I wonder if she had some idea that if you display the cards, you *have* to park in a handicapped spot?
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

mmswm

« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
Twik, I thought of that.  The whole situation just seemed surreal.  She was yelling at me in a combination of English/Spanish, and I was trying to ignore her, so I didn't pay too close attention to what she was saying.  I can't win for losing, apparently.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

nayberry

« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
+1 to "chuck norris JR" reacting perfectly.   

i have a new one,  apparently if you are stood looking at yogurts in the supermarket you now need to be psychic and "know" that you have to move immediately when some people come along. 
that or you'll be hit by their trolley,  i still didn't move until i was done, then i heard "some people are so rude", i did reply..... "yes, shoving a trolley into someone instead of saying, excuse is rude isn't it?"
baby berry arrived june 2016

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
nayberry, that bugs me to no end.  All people have to do is say "excuse me", and I'll almost always move aside.  That simple.  I had an old man clip the backs of my heels with his cart, and he responded with my loud "Ouch!" with an annoyed, "Well, couldn't you see that I'm trying to get to the shelf?"  No, sir, I did hear you coming, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head or ESP.  I expected a speech about how young people never move over for their elders anymore, but he simply sidled in front of me and got what he needed off the shelf.

A simple "Excuse me" would have resulted in an immediate, "Oh, sure." and me moving out of the way.

nayberry

« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
precisely Crochetfanatic,  if they said excuse me, i'd have moved along and gone back after they were done.

Kimberami

« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »

i have a new one,  apparently if you are stood looking at yogurts in the supermarket you now need to be psychic and "know" that you have to move immediately when some people come along. 
that or you'll be hit by their trolley,  i still didn't move until i was done, then i heard "some people are so rude", i did reply..... "yes, shoving a trolley into someone instead of saying, excuse is rude isn't it?"
The Evil Fishy in me would have felt the need to scream very loudly...possibly fall the ground in agony.   >:D
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

snowflake

« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
nayberry, that bugs me to no end.  All people have to do is say "excuse me", and I'll almost always move aside.  That simple.  I had an old man clip the backs of my heels with his cart, and he responded with my loud "Ouch!" with an annoyed, "Well, couldn't you see that I'm trying to get to the shelf?"  No, sir, I did hear you coming, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head or ESP.  I expected a speech about how young people never move over for their elders anymore, but he simply sidled in front of me and got what he needed off the shelf.

A simple "Excuse me" would have resulted in an immediate, "Oh, sure." and me moving out of the way.

I mostly get people who are checking their lists, counting coupons, etc. in the middle of an aisle.  I swoop down to get a can of beans or what not and get hissy fits because I'm "cutting in line."  Uh, there's a line to the beans?  No one was there and it's not obvious what you were doing.  If someone reaches in when I'm making up my mind or double-checking quantities needed, I figure that's because it's not my personal grocery store.

nayberry

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:47 AM »

The Evil Fishy in me would have felt the need to scream very loudly...possibly fall the ground in agony.   >:D

i did say to Hub's one time that if that "darned" woman hit me with her trolley again i was screaming and doing a professional footballer's injury moment (soccer for the USA) so rolling on the ground crying and screaming in agony....  i didn't have to, but the thought was there.....

mmswm

« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »

i did say to Hub's one time that if that "darned" woman hit me with her trolley again i was screaming and doing a professional footballer's injury moment (soccer for the USA) so rolling on the ground crying and screaming in agony....  i didn't have to, but the thought was there.....

I have been sorely tempted to do this more than once.  Fortunately, I know that my acting skills are quite bad and my better judgement ruled the day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

sweet_basil

« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
People speaking to me while I'm eating annoy me to no end. It's still rude to talk with your mouth full, yes? They get pissy when I don't respond promptly and somebody has to "helpfully" remind me that "So and So said something to you." Any suggestions for saying "My mouth is full, can't talk right now?"

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »
People speaking to me while I'm eating annoy me to no end. It's still rude to talk with your mouth full, yes? They get pissy when I don't respond promptly and somebody has to "helpfully" remind me that "So and So said something to you." Any suggestions for saying "My mouth is full, can't talk right now?"

I do the tight-lipped smile while pointing to my chewing mouth. Usually the reaction I get is a laugh and, "Oh, right, when you're ready."

EllenS

« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

I do the tight-lipped smile while pointing to my chewing mouth. Usually the reaction I get is a laugh and, "Oh, right, when you're ready."

I will sometimes add a vocalized "Hm Hm Hm..." as in "I'm chewing.." but with my mouth closed.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2013, 05:16:35 AM »
That is a passive/aggressive power play.  It's a tactic often used at business lunches that aren't celebratory.