Author Topic: "You're being rude" - Etiquette hypocrisy & misunderstandings  (Read 37308 times)

snowflake

Re: "You're being rude" - Etiquette hypocrisy & misunderstandings
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
nayberry, that bugs me to no end.  All people have to do is say "excuse me", and I'll almost always move aside.  That simple.  I had an old man clip the backs of my heels with his cart, and he responded with my loud "Ouch!" with an annoyed, "Well, couldn't you see that I'm trying to get to the shelf?"  No, sir, I did hear you coming, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head or ESP.  I expected a speech about how young people never move over for their elders anymore, but he simply sidled in front of me and got what he needed off the shelf.

A simple "Excuse me" would have resulted in an immediate, "Oh, sure." and me moving out of the way.

I mostly get people who are checking their lists, counting coupons, etc. in the middle of an aisle.  I swoop down to get a can of beans or what not and get hissy fits because I'm "cutting in line."  Uh, there's a line to the beans?  No one was there and it's not obvious what you were doing.  If someone reaches in when I'm making up my mind or double-checking quantities needed, I figure that's because it's not my personal grocery store.

nayberry

« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
+1 to "chuck norris JR" reacting perfectly.   

i have a new one,  apparently if you are stood looking at yogurts in the supermarket you now need to be psychic and "know" that you have to move immediately when some people come along. 
that or you'll be hit by their trolley,  i still didn't move until i was done, then i heard "some people are so rude", i did reply..... "yes, shoving a trolley into someone instead of saying, excuse is rude isn't it?"
The Evil Fishy in me would have felt the need to scream very loudly...possibly fall the ground in agony.   >:D

i did say to Hub's one time that if that "darned" woman hit me with her trolley again i was screaming and doing a professional footballer's injury moment (soccer for the USA) so rolling on the ground crying and screaming in agony....  i didn't have to, but the thought was there.....

mmswm

« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
+1 to "chuck norris JR" reacting perfectly.   

i have a new one,  apparently if you are stood looking at yogurts in the supermarket you now need to be psychic and "know" that you have to move immediately when some people come along. 
that or you'll be hit by their trolley,  i still didn't move until i was done, then i heard "some people are so rude", i did reply..... "yes, shoving a trolley into someone instead of saying, excuse is rude isn't it?"
The Evil Fishy in me would have felt the need to scream very loudly...possibly fall the ground in agony.   >:D

i did say to Hub's one time that if that "darned" woman hit me with her trolley again i was screaming and doing a professional footballer's injury moment (soccer for the USA) so rolling on the ground crying and screaming in agony....  i didn't have to, but the thought was there.....

I have been sorely tempted to do this more than once.  Fortunately, I know that my acting skills are quite bad and my better judgement ruled the day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

sweet_basil

« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:01 PM »
People speaking to me while I'm eating annoy me to no end. It's still rude to talk with your mouth full, yes? They get pissy when I don't respond promptly and somebody has to "helpfully" remind me that "So and So said something to you." Any suggestions for saying "My mouth is full, can't talk right now?"

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
People speaking to me while I'm eating annoy me to no end. It's still rude to talk with your mouth full, yes? They get pissy when I don't respond promptly and somebody has to "helpfully" remind me that "So and So said something to you." Any suggestions for saying "My mouth is full, can't talk right now?"

I do the tight-lipped smile while pointing to my chewing mouth. Usually the reaction I get is a laugh and, "Oh, right, when you're ready."

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »

I do the tight-lipped smile while pointing to my chewing mouth. Usually the reaction I get is a laugh and, "Oh, right, when you're ready."

I will sometimes add a vocalized "Hm Hm Hm..." as in "I'm chewing.." but with my mouth closed.
                www.ellenseltz.com

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:35 AM »
That is a passive/aggressive power play.  It's a tactic often used at business lunches that aren't celebratory.

rain

« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
what I usually do is hold up a finger to indicate  "wait a minute" - is shows I've heard them (boy I wish DS would do something like this) and lets them know I'll answer when I'm ready/able
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
Classic at the doctor's office today.

Patient was asking about getting something (not speaking clearly - they were talking to the person at the desk and on their cell phone at the same time - so hard to understand what was being said to the person at the desk and what was being said over the phone was loud & clear - but that's not what I'm posting about HERE). 

After asking two or three times about something, the question was "why won't you release that to me?"  Receptionist finally said, clearly, that the insurance had not paid so there was an outstanding (unpaid) balance on the account for the last five months and that nothing could be done about (mumble) until that was cleared up (I wondered if the mumble was to keep anyone else in the waiting area from hearing any medical information).  Patient told her that she'd been no help.

Patient then turned and stomped through the waiting area and out the door, exclaiming over the phone that "this office is always so RUDE!" - whether to the waiting room or the person on the other end of the cell phone conversation was not clear to me.  And whether or not the patient needed to do something about contacting the insurance company instead of just demanding that the doctor ignore the unpaid balance.

I got billed several times over the last few years where a typographical error (wrong social security number, wrong name of family member listed as either patient or insured, and similar lapses that could have been caught by proof reading - but weren't until I looked it over and pointed out the error in the claim submission - or called the insurance company to find out what was going on if it was something else).  For all I could tell, the patient was being asked to call the insurance company to find out what was holding up payment, not asked to pay a huge sum of money at that moment....but the way patient reacted, paying the doctor was not their problem.

I thought that the receptionist was trying to be polite by keeping her voice down while talking to the patient, until there had been several rounds of "do what I want you to do" and "I can't do that.....". 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?