Author Topic: Etiquette Quagmire  (Read 6455 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Etiquette Quagmire
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »
I agree within the others. Saying anything about your brothers need if the card implies you are willing to let him drive it if the is a "need".

Call your aunt, explain what is going on, and say you'd like to visit another time. Then tell you're mom that you  are sure they will have a nice weekend mind that you've already called your aunts with your regrets.

bonyk

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »
Call your aunt, explain what is going on, and say you'd like to visit another time. Then tell you're mom that you  are sure they will have a nice weekend mind that you've already called your aunts with your regrets.

I agree with this.  And I would answer any questions with a flat, "Letting bro use my car isn't an option," on repeat.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the advice to call the aunt and "explain what is going on."  I think that would bring the aunt into the mother-daughter conflict, basically saying "I can't come see you, Aunt, because Mom is being so unreasonable."  I can't see that it would help the OP in her relationship with her mother to do that.

My opinion is that the OP tell her mom, "I'm driving to Aunt's in my car" and do so.  The OP, while living at home, is an adult, and she can stand up for herself.  I don't think that missing out on the weekend on the Cape is necessary.  I would take a strong stance here, because otherwise it's going to happen again and again that the mother will pressure the OP to loan her car to her brother, and the OP has very good reasons not to do so.

The trick is to be as polite as possible to the mother.  "Mom, I'm sorry, I just can't do that" is a good, vague response when the mother leans on the OP to loan her car.  Keep repeating that.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

SPuck

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
Well we are taking my car down to my Aunt's this weekend which is fine with me. Mmrgg.... At least that is what she says, and it took a huge fight to get that result. I don't want to go into the details. I really don't have to worry about my brother borrowing my car without asking. I only have one set of keys.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
Glad to hear that; sorry about the fight.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
Sharnita said it best.

Normally I wouldn't justify, but besides my own limited funds at the moment my aunt also has limited parking. She lives in apartment housing and shares her garage/driveway with another tenant. I don't know if street parking is aloud (they are private roads) and I also don't remember anyone parking on the street last time I visited.

Then I'd say leave an hour before your mother and make the parking her problem!  >:D

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
I hope that peace is restored soon.

KB

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 12:59:25 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the advice to call the aunt and "explain what is going on."  I think that would bring the aunt into the mother-daughter conflict, basically saying "I can't come see you, Aunt, because Mom is being so unreasonable."  I can't see that it would help the OP in her relationship with her mother to do that.

The only reason I would consider calling the Aunt is that, if the OP has been specifically invited, simply not turning up leaves a large open space for the OP's mother to fill - quite possibly with very unfair and unjustified comments about the OP herself. For instance:

Aunt: Where's OP?
Mom: Oh, she decided that her car was more important than seeing you and so, since she doesn't trust Son for some stupid reason, she didn't bother to come. I had hoped she would have the manners to call and tell you she wasn't coming, but it would seem not.

For that reason, I would consider calling and giving my apologies. You don't need to give a reason other than 'I'm afraid something's come up and I won't be able to make it', but calling will prevent that risk.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
You can't be in a tug of war if you drop your end of the rope.

Like others say, "Mom, I need to be firm on the fact that brother cannot ever use my car. If that means I don't go to Aunt's so be it.  I will call her and let her know I can't attend."

Then with Aunt, stick to the facts: "Aunt, I am so sorry that I will not be able to see you this weekend after all.  Mom presented me a choice between letting brother have access to my car this weekend (and believe me, he has already had 3 strikes in that area) or visiting you. I am not picking my car over you, as much I am picking having strong boundaries with my mom and brother. I am sorry you have to deal with the fall out but I hope to see you soon."

o_gal

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
I really don't have to worry about my brother borrowing my car without asking. I only have one set of keys.

You have one set. You know of one set. But is that really the only set? The time that he stole the car, he could have stopped somewhere and had another set made that you know nothing about.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
I really don't have to worry about my brother borrowing my car without asking. I only have one set of keys.

You have one set. You know of one set. But is that really the only set? The time that he stole the car, he could have stopped somewhere and had another set made that you know nothing about.

If that's a possibility then a crook lock is an easy solution.

SPuck

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
Just one set. As for the stealing the car aspect. That's what I consider it. My mother claims it's borrowing without asking so... there is that. :P

It was an only an over night trip, but I woke up with out the car being in the drive way and I was/am pissed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:58:45 PM by SPuck »