General Etiquette > Techno-quette

The Reply-All Assault

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sebastienne:
At my last job, at a university, emails to "all faculty/staff" weren't BCCed. And "reply all" was the default on our email program. The result was that an exchange like this would happen pretty much once a week:

Campus police: Renew your parking permits by Tuesday!
Professor Mortimer T. Jingles: Professor Jingles is out of the office and will return your email when he returns
Sally Jones: Why did I get this email? Remove me from the list.
40 other people also hitting reply all: Remove me from this list, too!
Lone voice of reason: Stop using "reply all." This is ridiculous. You're filling up the mailboxes of literally everyone on campus.
80 other people: Remove me from the list!!!!

Every. Week.

xanne:
I sent a message out to the people I work with trying to determine if there was enough interest to hold an event.  Message said the since the number of people in the building is now 1/3 of the population from last year, will enough people participate to make it worthwhile, please let me know.  Mr. Bigshot VP sends out that there are not enough people and no one has the experience to run the event (one I had worked on for 2 years at other locations), reply all.  Needless to say, no more responses came after that one.  Up to that point I had 5 volunteers to assist, 2 to put on workshops and about 10 others who wanted to participate in the 10 minutes prior to the VP's reply.

Audrey Quest:

--- Quote from: mbbored on March 03, 2013, 01:16:30 AM ---("this way we can all get in contact with each other!") and it happens almost weekly for at least one of the groups.

--- End quote ---

"I don't want everyone to get in contact with me and I am sure that others are inconvenienced by this too.  By not controlling how we send out email we are likely cutting down the number of people we reach because people will just set up rules in their email to dump our communications into the spam folder."

I don't know that they would get the message though.  Everyone thinks that what they are sending out is the most important thing EVER.  It never occurs to them that people have lives and other interests and while they would like to be informed of goings on, they do not want it to take a disproportionate amount of their attention.

Julian:

--- Quote from: Sebastienne on March 07, 2013, 11:37:42 AM ---At my last job, at a university, emails to "all faculty/staff" weren't BCCed. And "reply all" was the default on our email program. The result was that an exchange like this would happen pretty much once a week:

Campus police: Renew your parking permits by Tuesday!
Professor Mortimer T. Jingles: Professor Jingles is out of the office and will return your email when he returns
Sally Jones: Why did I get this email? Remove me from the list.
40 other people also hitting reply all: Remove me from this list, too!
Lone voice of reason: Stop using "reply all." This is ridiculous. You're filling up the mailboxes of literally everyone on campus.
80 other people: Remove me from the list!!!!

Every. Week.

--- End quote ---

We had this happen at a previous job (hospital).  Facilities management sent out an email to 'all' re some diseased trees that were a problem.  Cue the 3,000+ staff across the site all hitting 'reply all' to complain about the trees, complain about the plans to cut the trees down, complain about the barrage of emails, to complain about reply all, to complain about the complaints, to complain about the complaints about the complaints...

It crashed the email server.

Browyn:
Very large company, 40K+ employees.

Person at headquarters office thinks he has picked all staff at his location email group to announce there are free cookies in the breakroom.

Accidentally gets all employees email group.

All the reply all nonsense and jokes about "we didn't get any cookies" brought the email system to a halt.  IT had to shut down the email system and delete the emails to get things fixed.

I figure the poor guy who sent the original email was hiding under a desk by then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version