Author Topic: The Reply-All Assault  (Read 4452 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: The Reply-All Assault
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
We had an email list for my whole dorm community when I was in college, and somehow a small clique of guys ended up sending a number of messages to each other, on that list, comparing the relative beauty of the ladies in the dorm.  >:( ::)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
We had an email list for my whole dorm community when I was in college, and somehow a small clique of guys ended up sending a number of messages to each other, on that list, comparing the relative beauty of the ladies in the dorm.  >:( ::)

Well, at least it meant you could prescreen for creeps. But yeah, yuck.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MsOverThinker

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
One way that we cut down on this at our university is to put the list-serve or emails all in the bcc: line.  Then you can hit "reply all" to your heart's content, but it'll just be you and the sender talking.  Of course, that only works with the conscientious list-serve user.

We had a bcc: nightmare last week with someone in a high office announcing their departure, and then all the "reply all" well-wishes.  One way to get rid of the annoying is to use outlook's "ignore thread" function.  Only do this if you want NOTHING to do with the entire message, as it'll delete the original and all the subsequent ones.  New ones will never arrive in your inbox.

PrettySticks

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
This isn't precisely the same, but it's still a reply-all story!  I have a first name that's semi-common in a variety of spellings, and a very common last name. I also signed up for gmail very early, so I got firstnamelastname@gmail, which means I get a lot of personal emails meant for other people.  (I'm actually somehow on several different listservs for several different PTA mailing lists from several different states.  I occasionally get chastised for not signing up for class mother duty.  I've tried unsubscribing to no avail.)

Typically I just ignore, but once I got a mass email inviting a group of people I didn't know to a potluck barbecue across the country, and asking people to reply-all saying what they would bring.  Since people were actually asked to reply-all, I thought perhaps I should nip this in the bud. (Also, while not really my problem, I felt a little bad for their similarly-named friend, who wouldn't know about the party.) I wrote a note to the group saying basically "I'm sure you're all lovely people, and the barbecue sounds great, but I'm not the person you meant to invite.  Please remove me from this list."  The person who sent the email replied (just to me) and apologized, saying she would re-send the invite to the right people.  Great!  But then eight of the ten people (I counted) on the email replied all to share what they were bringing to the potluck, say "Sorry!" or just write "Haha!"  Um, I wrote that note because I DIDN'T want to hear from all of you.  I got just as many emails, just not necessarily about the barbecue.  So much for that experiment :)