A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Your most embarrassing moment

(1/9) > >>

jpcher:
I don't know why this memory popped into my head. This happened more than 30 years ago and I still think that this was the time that I was over-the-top embarrassed and had now clue as to how to handle the situation.

I was 20 years old, engaged to be married. My fiance rented a townhouse (I had a key) and I was still living with my parents.

One night, about a month before our wedding, I thought to make him a surprise special dinner. I called him and told him that I would be there when he got home from work, but I didn't mention the dinner or the surprise.

I went to his townhouse with all the groceries, prepared the meal, put everything on "warm" then dressed into a (surprise!) skimpy outfit (not a negligee, but close enough ::)) I sat down on the couch, watching TV, waiting for him to come home from work.

There was a knock on the door.

I froze. There was no way I was going to answer the door with what I was wearing and the bedroom, where the rest of my clothes were, was upstairs. The stairs were right in front of the door. The door had windows.

I stayed put and thought "Please go away, please go away, please go away!"

The knocking came again and again. Many minutes later I cringed when I heard a key in the door and fiance's voice "She's not answering? She said that she would be here."

I ran to the powder room and hid. I was mortified.

Fiance was calling my name and I heard them go into the kitchen. That's when I made a mad dash to the stairs.

When I came down, fully dressed, Fiance said "What? You couldn't answer the door?" He seemed a bit angry, which embarrassed me even more. Friend said "I was knocking for 10 minutes!"

After turning more than 20 shades of red, stammering for a reason why I didn't answer the door, I quietly said that there was dinner in the oven, gave Fiance a peck on the cheek and left.

I honestly think that was the most embarrassing time of my life.

What about you? Please share your stories! ;D

EmmaJ.:
I have a thousand embarrassing moments  :) but will share the most recent. I was in the hospital visiting a friend, and afterwards thought I better stop by the restroom before the long drive home.

This hospital has only family style restrooms for visitors. I found one right in front of the elevators and popped in to do my business.  This one was a small room with only one toilet and sink. I dropped my jeans and sat down.

Just then the door was FLUNG open and a young teenaged boy literally leaps into the room.  I'd forgotten to lock the door. We both stared at each other, frozen in horror.  I stammered "it's occupied" and he finally spun around and zoomed out of there.

Now it occurs to me that the door is still unlocked and I can't reach the doorknob from where i'm sitting. And since this restroom is in a high-traffic area in front of the elevators, I was terrified it was going to happen again (it didn't).

SiotehCat:
I don't have embarrassing moments.

I have had so many (think dozens and dozens) moments that would make normal people die of embarrassment. I stopped feeling embarrassment a long time ago. Just for my own sanity.

I walk into poles and glass doors/walls. I tripped on my own pants and fell down the stairs in the middle of a busy bookstore. I fell down the stairs outside a busy restaurant AS I was thinking "please dont fall down these stairs"!

DS and I were in a travel center once because we each needed to use the restroom. He went into the boys restroom while I used my phone. I finished up and then followed him. I stood in the busy mens restroom with every man looking at me and I completely forgot what I was doing. DS yelled at me to get out.

OP, what happened with your fiance? Did you ever explain what happened?

mmswm:
My most embarrassing moment was while teaching.  That term I was teaching a business calculus class that met at night.  Most of the students were older than traditional aged students.

This particular night we were learning how to take derivatives using the multiplication rule.  The lesson was going well, then I showed them an example that combined the multiplication rule and the chain rule (which we had learned in a previous lesson).  Now, it's not important for the telling of this story that the reader has any clue what those two rule actually are.  What's needed is the knowledge that a problem of this time winds up being more tedious than difficult.  As I was going through the many steps involved, I could hear all the whining and sighing from the class.  I finally looked at them and said, "You know, just because it's long, doesn't meant it's hard."

Then the snickers started.  At first it was just a couple of students.  Then other students figured out the double entendre.  It took several minutes to recover the class.  Oh, well.  At least it wasn't as bad as what one of my biology professors said.

bonyk:
At high school orientation, I tripped and landed face down in front of the entire freshman class.  4 years later, our class president used it as an example in a speech about overcoming challenges at senior night. .  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version