Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

S/O when you only want the stretchers

(1/3) > >>

LadyR:
As a spin-off on wanting food without stretchers (lobster rolls without celery, etc.), what if you don't wnat the main and it means stretching the other ingredients further?

In that thread someone gave an example of a bagel breakfast and wanting the veggies/toppings, but not the bagel. I made me think of something that happened recently (and my DH admits he ws at fault here).

We were going to BIL's for a games day and BIL provided food for dinner for us (DH and I and two of our friends). BIL had picked up the fixings for sandwiches: lots of bread and meat, limited amount of cheese, olives and pickles. One of our friends is a vegetarian, a relatively new one, and DH had forgotten to mention it to BIL. So he was now in a position of needing to load up on the cheese/pickles/olives, which created an imbalance. We made it work and DH had his sandwiches without fillers, but it stuck in my mind.

I don't always like deli meat, so I am sometimes in the same postion where I'd load up on the extras, but then feel awkward if it created an imbalance. Should one just hold back until everyone has me theirs in those ircumstances and load up from what's left or is it ok to take a share of what you need to feel full, even if it may create a shortage?

Zilla:
Regardless of what the items are (good stuff, fillers etc) I wouldn't create a shortage for others if you have access to all the items.  In your case, I too am not fond of deli meats and would probably just get a slice of cheese and olives.  And wait to see if there is anything left. 

Carotte:
I would try not to create shortage, but depending on the company (people I know well) I would probably say something like 'I'm not gonna take any of XXX so feel free to take my share' or 'Anyone want to trade my share of XX for some YY?'.

Hmmmmm:
Agree with PPs. I'd have made a sandwhich with a slice of cheese, a few pickles and olives, but not more than I would have used if I were adding meat to the sandwhich. Probably wouldn't have been the tastiest, but enough to get through a couple of hours.

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on March 03, 2013, 08:43:53 PM ---Agree with PPs. I'd have made a sandwhich with a slice of cheese, a few pickles and olives, but not more than I would have used if I were adding meat to the sandwhich. Probably wouldn't have been the tastiest, but enough to get through a couple of hours.

--- End quote ---

I might kinda hang back and see if anyone left off cheese or other extas on theis so I knew if I could balance out mine with "their" extras.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version