Author Topic: Can you please explain to clueless me how a single sink works?  (Read 7595 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Can you please explain to clueless me how a single sink works?
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »

I live in Australia now, and we have 2 sinks, but I've never used the second for rinsing. The few times I've tried it elsewhere, (A) it seemed like a waste of water, and (B) after the first few dishes, the second sink was full of suds, which rather negated the rinsing anyway.

That would to me be an indication that they do need rinsing.

I rinse under running water, but when we are camping, I can rinse the dishes for a dinner for four in less than a quart of hot water. (We have to carry the water in and boil it ourselves - believer me, we don't waste it!)

There is also a difference between dish soap and dish detergent. In the US, most of us use detergent, which can be toxic if not rinsed off. I think too much soap simply causes a little gastric distress, but if you guys use soap and are used to it, I guess not.

I am not trying to be critical, just explain how we think.

CakeEater

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
We use detergent as well. There's just not enough on any individual plate to cause stomach issues. You can't taste it.

katycoo

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Re the poster who asked about stray bits of food clinging to the plate - I would scrape all bits of carrot etc into the bin before washing, possibly rinse before washing to remove excess sauce etc.

Is the 'no rinse' method also the way it's done in non-US commercial kitchens? Apparently many of us Americans have a love affair with rinsing :).

No idea, sorry.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
Posting from New Zealand.  I went and looked in my kitchen cupboard.  I had both kiwi dishwashing liquid and a parallel imported brand.  Both as it happens is made by the same multinational.  As above the kiwi one, just said one small drop is enough and the other one - from the philipines mentioned rinsing well.

I know that in commercial kitchens - for those catering for more than 4 people you are required to use a commercial dishwasher.

Hope that helps

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
:( I dont have a mixer tap. But i do want one. sighh

I'd never heard the term 'mixer tap' but our kitchen has one.  The faucet has a lever.  Extreme right produces very cold water.  Extreme left produces steaming hot water.  You just push the lever to get the temperature you want.  Our bathroom sinks have hot and cold knobs but the bathtubs have a similar sliding mechanism.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2013, 11:38:22 PM »

We must live in the same city. Most of those things are now ingrained into me even though (some) restrictions have been lifted, with the exception of the showers. 4 minutes just ain't gonna cut it!

And yes, seeing people running water in the manner of that TV show gives me the willies now! I don't even turn the water on to brush my teeth until the toothpaste is on the brush, and it gets turned off again as soon as the brush is wet, and in between needing to be rinsed.

Brisbane?   ;)

I'm down in the deep, deep south now (Tasmania) and as dry as the weather is, no water restrictions now.  We are occasionally limited to 'no sprinklers on fire ban days' because it reduces available water pressure to the fire fighters.  Mind boggling...  meanwhile the grass (what grass???) has dried brown, nothing green shows itself, and the occasional spit of rain is just a tease.

Sorry for the threadjack!   ;D