A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Shh! Don't say "toilet"! (potential for gross-out, but please don't go there)

<< < (12/16) > >>

whiskeytangofoxtrot:
"Restroom" or "ladies' room" for me, if it's pubic, "bathroom" if it's at a residence.  At a ren faire, it's "privy", and if it's my own home or among good friends, I'll often jokingly refer to it as "the catbox" or "the library".  ;D

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Katana_Geldar on March 18, 2013, 05:20:56 PM ---When I was growing up, I took the word 'restroom' literally as a place you would rest. Maybe with a bed or couch. I wasn't until years later I found out what it actually was.

--- End quote ---

I've even seen ones with couches in some luxury venues like fancy hotels and the symphony.  ;D

MrTango:
Most of the time, I just say "Men's Room."

OSUJillyBean:
Late 20s southern USA:

At someone's house - bathroom
Out in public - ladies' room / mens' room

Side note: at my mother's house, the "powder room" means the half bath that has no shower or bathtub in it.  But she's a former realtor so a little fancy shmanyc language is expected.  ;D

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on May 02, 2013, 12:44:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: Katana_Geldar on March 18, 2013, 05:20:56 PM ---When I was growing up, I took the word 'restroom' literally as a place you would rest. Maybe with a bed or couch. I wasn't until years later I found out what it actually was.

--- End quote ---

I've even seen ones with couches in some luxury venues like fancy hotels and the symphony.  ;D

--- End quote ---

In the museum where I worked, the women's toilet had a quiet area with a sofa and comfortable armchairs.  The idea was that mothers could use the place to nurse infants.  That made it a real rest room. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version