A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Shh! Don't say "toilet"! (potential for gross-out, but please don't go there)

<< < (2/16) > >>

Rohanna:
Bathroom or washroom, though any of the above would be understood. Powder room would seem a tad "twee" here, and toilet would be a little blunt and probably raise an eyebrow. Restroom has definate business connetations - a "restroom" is found in a gas station or mall mostly.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Rohanna on March 04, 2013, 11:08:44 AM ---Bathroom or washroom, though any of the above would be understood. Powder room would seem a tad "twee" here, and toilet would be a little blunt and probably raise an eyebrow. Restroom has definate business connetations - a "restroom" is found in a gas station or mall mostly.

--- End quote ---

Oh, and there's also ladies' room and men's room, also more for public than private bathrooms. But unlike in England, "room" is always appended to the end--it's not just the Ladies'. Though I've always kind of liked the sound of that.

jmarvellous:
When asking an employee for directions in public, I'll say, "Excuse me, where is the ladies' room?" just to differentiate from the (usually separate) men's facilities. I don't make a habit of mentioning it to my companions, but if I must, it's restroom, bathroom, or toilet/stall if referring to the unit, such as a whispered warning to a girlfriend, "Avoid the third stall, there's no toilet paper!"

I'll ask, "Where's your bathroom?" in a private home. Or tell my guests our bathroom is upstairs.

Hmmmmm:
48 YO, Texas...in most cases I refer to it as restroom if asking to use it while a guest.  If an overnight guest is visiting, I will say I put clean towels out in the bathroom or I'll tell the kids they need to go clean their bathroom.

Piratelvr1121:
I call it all sorts of different things, depending on my mood, really.  I'm in my 30's and living in Maryland, and the toilet in our house is often referred to by just about every word there is for the room. 

Loo, potty, latrine, the head, bathroom, little girl's room, little boy's room, commode, throne, etc. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version