A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Shh! Don't say "toilet"! (potential for gross-out, but please don't go there)

<< < (13/16) > >>

Mad Goat Woman:
Aussie here. I call it the loo, the toilet, or when in public, the ladies.

Waterlight:
Mid-40's, American, Pacific Northwest:

Out in public:  "Washroom" (FWIW, I was friends with someone from Canada for many years)  or "ladies' room"
In a private home:  "Bathroom"

gmama:
I grew up in the Philippines where we call the toilet either "kubeta" or "baño".  However, due to the long association with the US, most people use, in English, "comfort room" or most commonly "C.R" for short.  You could be in the deepest, most mountainous region, and people will still know what a CR is.

Quick anecdote: on a family trip to Japan, my 15 yr old cousin had to go really bad so I (9 at the time) and my 10 yr old brother went with her into a department store in search of the facilities. We asked a confused saleslady using every name we could think of, "washroom? watercloset? bathroom?".  In a moment of desperation my cousin even started mimicking toilet sounds.  I think we finally got somewhere when the saleslady brought out a pad and pen and we drew a toilet.   

We later asked our tour guide what we should have said.  Turns out the magic word would have been "toilet", which we three kids in our ignorance had never used. 

I live in Canada now and my friends and I also use the terms "wizzorium" and "crapeteria".

Another toilet story that makes me giggle is the one about the musician who, in reply to a critic's bad review, wrote back "I am sitting in the smallest room in my house.  I have your review before me.  Pretty soon it will be behind me."   >:D

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: gmama on June 24, 2013, 07:45:59 AM ---I grew up in the Philippines where we call the toilet either "kubeta" or "baño". 

--- End quote ---
If I’m right, there’s a town in the Philippines called Los Baños.  Plenty of scope for juvenile humour there...

hyzenthlay:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on March 04, 2013, 11:25:07 AM ---48 YO, Texas...in most cases I refer to it as restroom if asking to use it while a guest.  If an overnight guest is visiting, I will say I put clean towels out in the bathroom or I'll tell the kids they need to go clean their bathroom.

--- End quote ---

That is my usage as well. Mine is the bathroom, anyone else's, be it someone's home or a shopping center is a restroom. I'm a military brat so my speech isn't particularly regional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version