A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Shh! Don't say "toilet"! (potential for gross-out, but please don't go there)

<< < (14/16) > >>

Wauden:
I was taught to say 'lavatory' and never say 'toilet'.  :o When in a public place, it is the 'ladies' '.  With friends, it is the 'loo' or 'bog' or something like 'I am going to take a leak' or 'going for a wee' but it depends on the friend. 

MissRose:
When I've been in UK and Ireland, I generally ask where the Loo is or the Ladies Room is if it is not obvious to me as those are the terms my friends who live there tend to use.  In the states, I hear people use different terms like Ladies or Mens Room, bathroom, etc. but its rare to hear loo used here.

Hurricane Marathon:
I usually say "The Can" or "Le Pissoir." <-- my dad said that one once, apparently it's from an old Paul Newman movie.

If I'm in public I say "the ladies' room", or "the gents" if I'm referring to the men's room.  In someone's home I ask for "the bathroom."

I hear "the restroom" in the US most often and British people tend to say "the loo" or "the toilet".

Pen^2:
I'm Australian. At home, I'll say "toilet" or "loo". When at a friend's house, or just generally in public, I'll say "the ladies'" or "lavatory".

I always try to be specific. Asking for a "bathroom" can be interpreted as wanting to wash one's hands, say. Although I'm aware that in America, "bathroom" is basically a synonym for "toilet", I've been in many homes in a number of countries where the actual toilet had its own, small room, separate from the bathroom proper. It's always good to be specific to avoid confusion. For example, I once asked where the nearest ladies' was, only to be told (in a confused way) that there were plenty of women around already--which one did I want to talk with?

baglady:
U.S. here. I say "bathroom" for the facility in a home (mine or someone else's -- "Where's the bathroom?"), "restroom" in a public place. They tend to be labeled "restrooms" -- the actual rooms will say "men" or "women" on the door, but there'll be a sign pointing to the "restrooms."

Some folks use "go to the bathroom" as a euphemism for the bodily function itself, which leads to such amusing (to my ears) usages as "The dog went to the bathroom on the living-room carpet."

When I was in Spain in the '70s, the term for public bathroom I encountered most often was "el servicio," but many of them were labeled with a big W (for water closet?).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version