Author Topic: Dog Park and Toddlers  (Read 12807 times)

Dalek

• Am not amused!
Dog Park and Toddlers
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
Is it ever okay for toddlers to run around a dog park? Yay or nay?

I'm seeing a trend of parents letting their young children run around dog parks. Occasionally, a kid will get knocked down by an overly excited and curious dog. Parents feel dog owners should keep their dogs restrained within the dog park. Owners feel dogs should have a place to run and play without worrying about being stressed by kids.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: Dog Park and Toddlers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
It's a dog park.  It's specific purpose is to provide a safe environment for the dog to run around off-leash.

Parents who want the dogs restrained so their kids can run around are being extremely special snowflakes.  Not to mention ridiculous! 

If the parents want a place for their kids to run and the dogs to be restrained, a regular park will much better suit their needs.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
Seriously,  Seriously?  Parents are going to Dog Parks and whining about all the dogs there? SERIOUSLY???!!!

I am going to have a glass of wine and look at pictures of kittens until I calm down.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
I would feel it's really irresponsible to bring a toddler into a dog park. Not only is it unfair to the dogs, who are there specifically to play or interact with other dogs in an off-leash environment, but as a pet owner I'd be pretty peeved at having to worry about whether or not my enthusiastic dog is going to "play" with the kid and maybe knock them down.

I mean, they already have parks for children. They're called "parks" and "playgrounds".
Utah

cattlekid

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »
Nope.  Dog parks are DOG parks, not CHILD parks.  I would not allow my dog to run free in a regular park, so please extend those of us in the dog park the same courtesy.

Firecat

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »
The short answer: No.

The longer answer: It's a dog park, which means it's primarily for use for people with dogs. If it's an off-leash dog park, it's intended for dogs to be able to run and play, and a running child could easily be knocked down, possibly injured.

In this case, the parents are being very entitled and special snowflake...surely there are playgrounds or areas where dogs aren't allowed that could be used by the children instead? Besides, why would anyone let a toddler, who is as likely as not to put dirt or anything else in his/her mouth, run around in an area dogs have been using as a toilet? In an area where dogs have been doing their business, it's quite possible the kid could pick up a parasite or something. Seriously, what are these people thinking?

Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:35 PM »
I have kids and dogs, and if I had access to a DOG park I would expect it to be full of excited dogs. Some dogs and kids aren't safe around each other.

miredrose326

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
Our local dog park does not allow children under the age of 8 in the park and anyone under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. The dog park is for the dogs to run freely. There are plenty of kid parks for them to run freely.
My beautiful babies 

GSNW

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
Seriously,  Seriously?  Parents are going to Dog Parks and whining about all the dogs there? SERIOUSLY???!!!

I am going to have a glass of wine and look at pictures of kittens until I calm down.

My thoughts exactly.  D O G park.  Woof.  The whole POINT of the dog park is that the dogs are unleashed.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
I'm with everyone else.

Toddlers should not be allowed to run free in dog parks.

Dogs should not be allowed to run free in toddler parks.

They just don't mesh well when behaving in perfectly appropriate Toddler-like or Doggy-like ways.

(I have a long post about a dog and a muffin and my kid where I was NOT pleased with the dog or the owner's initial behaviour.  If the exact same situation had happened at a dog park versus a kid park, I would have held myself entirely responsible)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »

Pour one for me, too, please. That is ridiculous.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
I am one of those people who really really really gets ticked off when I see an unleashed dog in a non-dog park.  I don't care how well trained your dog is, IMO it should never be off leash in public unless in a specifically "unleashed dog area". (I understand various localities have differing laws/rules about dogs, but I'm coming from the viewpoint of someone who lives, and jogs, in a city with leash laws; in other places obviously the local laws should be observed.)

As such the idea of a parent getting incensed over an unleashed dog in a dog park infuriates me!  Because I want more dog owners to use dog parks and I want them to feel like its a safe, fun, welcoming place for their dogs, thus to encourage their use of dog parks. I would have no problem telling such a parent to shove it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:55:53 PM by WillyNilly »

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
This reminds me of people who buy a house next to a dairy farm and then complain about the smell, flies, noise, and expect the dairy farm to change its operations to suit them.

EllenS

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
I'm with Firecat.  My kids preferred eating things off the ground to eating off their plates.  I shudder at the thought of taking them to a dog park.

Betelnut

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
Only people accompanying dogs should go into a dog park.  If a toddler is with an adult with a dog I guess it would be okay (unless expressly against the rule) but that toddler is in no way supposed to be allowed to run around.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently