Author Topic: Dog Park and Toddlers  (Read 13394 times)

mmswm

Re: Dog Park and Toddlers
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »
I think that you are right.  My park may be a bit different than other parks. I live in a semi rural area.

This is typical of the dog park we tack our dog to.  Huge area of open land and ponds and dogs run wild while most owners are wandering around, sitting on a bench, or throwing stick for the dogs. It is the dog's chance to be completly off a leash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdpa/5043421692/in/set-72157631653808335

A toddler out here is very likely to get run over on a busy Saturday morning.

One of the funniest things I've seen at a dog park was an owner who had trained her labs so well, they wouldn't leave her side to go run and play.  She kept encouriging to "go, go", would throw a stick, or would walk off and they just stayed on her heels the entire time. 

My dog... I'm lucky if he comes back after the 5th time I call him.

This is Baxter.  Though I have a very good reason for it.  Brazilian Mastiffs are considered "dangerous" by many, sort of like pit bulls.  They are actually banned in some countries and very heavily regulated in others.  While they are very sweet and loving toward their families, they can be a bit over protective of them.  I actually take Baxter to dog parks precisely to train him to stay put and follow my voice commands when he's off leash.  My parents' property is several acres, which he has free run of whenever he wants, so I don't worry about him getting off leash time.

As for the OP, I agree.  Toddlers shouldn't be in dog parks.  That's what tot parks are for.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »
That's super snowflakey, I think. I'm not sure if there are different regional terms for "dog park," but I'm assuming that in this case, we're talking about a smaller, probably fenced, area that is dedicated for off-leash running about. If that's the case, then it's mostly for dogs, and humans should stay on the sidelines to let the puppies frolic as they will.

However, I think it's important for any pet owner to have verbal control over their pooch, even in areas where the dog is allowed to be (or encouraged to be) off-leash. It's simply a matter of respect for other people and other dogs. A kid getting knocked over because he was tearing around and collided with a dog is mostly at fault (okay, his parents are). However, a kid standing off to the side watching isn't really to blame if a big dog jumps up to say howdy. Should people bring their toddlers into the dog park for the heck of it? No. But I'm not sure I think families with children should be banned from bringing their own dogs into the dog park if the kids know and respect the rules.

I tend to agree with this. So long as the child is closely supervised and not running around, I don't think it's rude for them to be in a dog park. It might not be the ideal place for them (because of the safety aspect) but I don't think it's rude per se for a well-behaved toddler to be there.

Miss Understood

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
I just need to interject (somewhat off-topic) that when I first moved to Chicago I was delighted to find that there is a dog park called "Wiggly Field."  (For anyone non-U.S. or U.S. non-baseball fans, this is a pun on one of the oldest baseball stadiums in the nation, Wrigley Field - I think only Fenway Park is older.)  I love puns in general but cute animal-related puns are my favorite.

Back to topic, DH and I have cats, not dogs, so we do not visit Wiggly Field.  We do sometimes (when the weather isn't freezing) walk down to the lake and watch the dogs playing at Montrose Beach - it is so much fun to watch them, all breeds, from huge to tiny, running around freely, interacting with each other and enjoying themselves.  The dogs are so incredibly happy - when their people are driving into the parking lot the doggies are literally jumping for joy. 

Until this thread it never occurred to me, but actually I have never seen any child there, much less a toddler.  Not even a teenager (but that's probably because when we visit there it's early AM on Saturday).  I can't really imagine a small child there - so many dogs of all sizes bouncing about and doing their business (their people are good about picking up but still I wouldn't want a kid of mine rolling around in that sand).  There are so many places for parents with little kids to go and so few places for dogs in an urban environment - I would hate for the dogs to have to give up the few places they have.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
Seriously,  Seriously?  Parents are going to Dog Parks and whining about all the dogs there? SERIOUSLY???!!!

I am going to have a glass of wine and look at pictures of kittens until I calm down.

Okay first off I must be tired because I read the thread title as "Daleks and toddlers." And I've only ever seen one episode of Dr. Who, though I have a fbook friend who is obsessed so there ya go.

Second, I'm with Auntie Mame. Really? Our town is looking at putting in a dog park and I hope that won't be the case here!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »
I think that the situation in the OP is terrible.  That being said, kids can be dog owners and can be actively involved in dog care and training.  Obviously a toddler isn't there yet but parents might be teaching younger kids and middle to older kids might actively work with the dog.  If the kid is where they are supposed to be, doing what they are supposed to, then they are fine.  Yest there are dogs that don't react as well with kids.  There are also dogs that don't react as well with men.  SOme might be react to a wheel chair.  If your dog misbehaves just because the person is a kid/a man/in a wheel chair then you need to control your dog (even in a dog park) not say "They shouldn't have been in the park".

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
Dog piling on here to agree
*snerk*  Puns are bad, m'kay?

I'm in agreement as well.  My Sadie is 80 pounds of love, but she thinks anything smaller than her is a puppy, which she also thinks needs to be held down and cleaned.  In a dog park, she'd be the first one sitting on a toddler and washing behind the ears. And Brutus is 80 pounds of cuddle, but he thinks he's a lap dog, and brushes up against people like a cat does. That would just knock a little kid down, and then he would proceed to lay on them for cuddles.

Not exactly a fun time for toddlers.

English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
Awwww!!!!! I have to say, while that behavior would probably scare my toddler, it's still hilarious and adorable! :)

There's a service dog trainee at our church. He's not training to be a seeing eye dog so he can be petted and his people are training him to be able to interact in various surroundings and with various ages.   He's still a puppy now, a black lab and his head is now about the height of my 16 month old.  Piratebaby's not afraid of him, and willingly puts out his little hands to be licked but backs up before the dog can get to his face.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

buvezdevin

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »
I agree with what would have previously seemed to me the obvious statement that off-leash dog parks are for the dog's benefit, and that small children would not be wisely added to the mix (unless, perhaps, very closely supervised) - and I also wondered if this was a frequent issues, so I googled.

Who knew.

The most recent article, from within the past week is about such a park changing rules in a California city, and the related variety of rules for other such parks in the area:  http://www.thealamedan.org/news/city-rescinds-ban-kids-dog-parkshttp

The article has an interesting sentence towards the end, referring to a grandmother stating that her four month old puppy needs the outlet of the park, so she brings her dog and her two and a half year old grandson twice each day on the days she cares for the grandson.  The sentence is isinteresting as it is a quote from Grandma, but the reporter closes the sentence noting it was said as the grandson ran around the park. 

Last quote of the article, from a different person "the dogs are fine, it's the people."

Editted to fix link
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:46:49 AM by buvezdevin »
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Pigeon

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2013, 09:24:54 AM »
My city has an off-leash dog park.  The rules state that no children under 5 are allowed in the park at all; no one under 16 may enter unless they're accompanied by an adult.  Yet, I have seen the situation posed in the OP play out.  A young girl (who was running and squealing with a dog rope-toy in her hand!) was knocked down by an exuberant Lab. A shouting match between the parent and dog's owner ensued when the parent attempted to kick the dog (who had wandered off after licking the little girl's face - he was in no way threatening her after the accident). 

The parent was screaming that her child is "ONLY FOUR YEARS OLD;" a few patrons pointed out that the child wasn't even allowed to be in the park in that case.  The real kicker (well, besides the parent trying to kick the dog!): they didn't even have a dog at the park!  They were just there seeking some cheap entertainment for the child.  They left in a huff, with the parent threatening a lawsuit all the way to her car.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
I agree with what would have previously seemed to me the obvious statement that off-leash dog parks are for the dog's benefit, and that small children would not be wisely added to the mix (unless, perhaps, very closely supervised) - and I also wondered if this was a frequent issues, so I googled.

Who knew.

The most recent article, from within the past week is about such a park changing rules in a California city, and the related variety of rules for other such parks in the area:  http://www.thealamedan.org/news/city-rescinds-ban-kids-dog-parkshttp

The article has an interesting sentence towards the end, referring to a grandmother stating that her four month old puppy needs the outlet of the park, so she brings her dog and her two and a half year old grandson twice each day on the days she cares for the grandson.  The sentence is isinteresting as it is a quote from Grandma, but the reporter closes the sentence noting it was said as the grandson ran around the park. 

Last quote of the article, from a different person "the dogs are fine, it's the people."

Editted to fix link

The link still didn't work for me.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
My city has an off-leash dog park.  The rules state that no children under 5 are allowed in the park at all; no one under 16 may enter unless they're accompanied by an adult.  Yet, I have seen the situation posed in the OP play out.  A young girl (who was running and squealing with a dog rope-toy in her hand!) was knocked down by an exuberant Lab. A shouting match between the parent and dog's owner ensued when the parent attempted to kick the dog (who had wandered off after licking the little girl's face - he was in no way threatening her after the accident). 

The parent was screaming that her child is "ONLY FOUR YEARS OLD;" a few patrons pointed out that the child wasn't even allowed to be in the park in that case.  The real kicker (well, besides the parent trying to kick the dog!): they didn't even have a dog at the park!  They were just there seeking some cheap entertainment for the child.  They left in a huff, with the parent threatening a lawsuit all the way to her car.

Per the bolded: the fact that our country allows such frivolous lawsuits shows how out-of-whack things are!  ::)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »

Who knew.

Editted to fix link

The link still didn't work for me.

Take the http off the end. 

http://www.thealamedan.org/news/city-rescinds-ban-kids-dog-parks
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
Thanks, LadyDyani!  :)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
My city has an off-leash dog park.  It is a large, fenced in grassy area with sections for small dogs (under 50 pounds) and large dogs (50 pounds and over).  We've taken The Beagle there many times.  He is 30 pounds of exhuberance and he loves toddlers.  Why wouldn't he?  They're usually close to his level, they smell pretty good and sometimes they're sticky and in need of puppy kisses to clearn them off.

The rules of the dog park clearly state:  1.  No humans without dogs. 2. No children under the age of 5 permitted.  3.  Children under the age of 16 MUST be accompanied by an adult.  4.  No human food allowed.  5.  Pick up after your dog.  6.  Enter at your own risk.

There is also a security guard, employed by the city, that enforces the rules.  I've seen him stop people from bringing small children into the dog park.

Coralreef

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »
Bringing toddlers to a dog park is a BAD idea.  I've had my feet swiped from under me and landing on my back because my dog just did not stop in time.  I'm a full grown adult and not a feather weight either.  I can imagine the damage that can be done to a small child.  Not to mention the risk of a bite.  Or the fact that dog park is also dog toilet.

[/right