Author Topic: Dog Park and Toddlers  (Read 13702 times)

gingerzing

Re: Dog Park and Toddlers
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
It may or may not be a trend, but I have seen it happen at our local DP.  (Can't say "Dog Park" since our girl knows the word). 
We have many of the same rules as BeagleMommy mention.  Though I think at the one we use to take Sadie-dog to it was No Children Under 10.  Plus you had to buy a tag for a year membership.  (Like $25, which went toward maintainance and the security guard). 

Like others - I am a "woman of substance" and have been knocked down a couple times by dogs running like mad.  (Not hurt, just not paying attention to the dog  race behind me or the guy throwing the ball to his Border Collies.)

And even with those rules, I have seen people bring in kidlets and kidlets eating something.  My "favorite" spotting was a couple who brought in their pram.  Not just a stoller, but an old fashion infant baby buggy.  And while the sleeping baby was about waist level, I had just saw a Jack Russel who could jump that high easily.  Several of us (dog owners) told the couple that it was an unleashed dog park and having an infant in there was a VERY BAD IDEATM.  Apparently, we all were horribly rude.

It got so bad that I stopped taking Sadie-dog completely.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
If I am repeating what other posters have said, sorry, I only read the OP but cheese and crackers!  What special entitlement do you feel you have to take your toddler to a DOG park and say the dogs should be tethered?????  I have kids and a dog, but I would no more let my big yellow beast loose in a park full of kids where she could knock a little one over (or beat them with her big ever waving tail) than I would have my kids romp in a dog park.  If I had big yellow beast (who is a big sweetie but large) romping in the dog park and some special snowflake came and told me to tether my dog for their child's sake, I would just start laughing and point out the 'dog park' sign and ask that they tether their child!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
My city has an off-leash dog park.  It is a large, fenced in grassy area with sections for small dogs (under 50 pounds) and large dogs (50 pounds and over).  We've taken The Beagle there many times.  He is 30 pounds of exhuberance and he loves toddlers.  Why wouldn't he?  They're usually close to his level, they smell pretty good and sometimes they're sticky and in need of puppy kisses to clearn them off.

The rules of the dog park clearly state:  1.  No humans without dogs. 2. No children under the age of 5 permitted.  3.  Children under the age of 16 MUST be accompanied by an adult.  4.  No human food allowed.  5.  Pick up after your dog.  6.  Enter at your own risk.

There is also a security guard, employed by the city, that enforces the rules.  I've seen him stop people from bringing small children into the dog park.

We too have the same setup.  I often hear parents tell the guard but my kids are well behaved, they won't leave my side etc etc.  But it isn't a park for them, its for dogs period.  If you can't enter without your kids then too bad.  Wait till they are of age and take your dogs to other places.  I once asked tbe guard how often does it happen on a daily basis. And he told me he has yet to have a day it doesn't happen.  And he carries business cards for those that want to speak to his supervisor.  ::)

November Rain

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
After reading the replies it is becoming clear to me.  The dog parks in my area are large, unfenced areas. They are not fenced in areas with benches for people to
sit on and watch the dogs play. We hike trails, watch our dog play in the water and with other dogs and we can bring a picnic lunch. If they are crowded it is always possible to find a secluded spot.

I would not bring my 2 year old to a dog park like previous posters have mentioned  unless he remained in a stroller or a backpack type carrier. Having him loose in that type of environment would be foolish at best.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
After reading the replies it is becoming clear to me.  The dog parks in my area are large, unfenced areas. They are not fenced in areas with benches for people to
sit on and watch the dogs play. We hike trails, watch our dog play in the water and with other dogs and we can bring a picnic lunch. If they are crowded it is always possible to find a secluded spot.

I would not bring my 2 year old to a dog park like previous posters have mentioned  unless he remained in a stroller or a backpack type carrier. Having him loose in that type of environment would be foolish at best.

Those are the kind of parks parents can take both their kids and dogs to if the enclosed dogs only park are not allowing kids.  And the irony is that at the one I mentioned in the post above, the enclosed dogs only park is within a huge and I mean HUGE regular park such as you described.  Sure it would be nice to let your dog go unleash and socialize with other dogs.   But if you are with your kids and unwilling to leave them with a spouse/friend/in another area etc, then don't make a stink about it. (not directed at anyone here BTW)

TXJess

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
I take my dog to a dog park frequently because I live in an apartment and she has a lot of energy. The park rule is no children under 9. When I see small children, especially toddlers, in the park, I get kinda grossed out. They pick up dog toys.. some will play in the sand- gross! I just keep hoping they won't put their fingers in their mouths. I haven't ever been in the situation where a parent was getting upset because the dogs were getting too close to their child though. One of the biggest concerns that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts is when a small child decides to run in a dog park. Some dogs have a chase instinct, and when she see a child running, they want to go catch it. Depending on the size of the dog, that can be terrifying for a kid! There is a great dane that comes to our dog park, and he plays great with other dogs, but if he see's a child running, he will chase! One time a little girl came in with her family and the owner of the great dane warned her not to run, but like 30 seconds later, she starting running. The great dane ran after her and put his big paws on her shoulders, but didn't knock her down. But she freaked out and started crying. Luckily her mom didn't get mad at the owner of the great dane.

Yankee-Belle

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2013, 02:09:49 PM »
I was yelled at one time when my then year old lab knocked down a child in the dog park. He was running around with other dogs having a good time and happened to clip the child. The mother just went on and on about how unruly my dog was!  :-\ 

One other instance at the dog park: a woman was throwing a ball to her dog to fetch. My dog and another dog ran with her dog to chase the ball. She started yelling at my dog and the other one saying NO! THIS BALL IS FOR BAXTER! GET AWAY! I got my dog away from her and got him interested in something else.

Only me

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
Hi

I like this thread and agree, the Dog park is for the dogs. My dog is just under 10 lbs and likes to run with the big dogs. I have seen kids run up to her (ok so she's really cute) and try to pick her up etc..... But then we also have a kids area where toddlers can go and be protected from the dogs.

Most of my encounters when the kids try to pick up my dog, the parents are right there telling the kids to stop. But I did have one instance where the kid almost feel on my dog (uneven terrain) and the parent gave me a dirty look. Sweet monkey fritters!, I just called my dog and walked away.

Onlyme

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
We have several great dog parks in my area.  Luckily I've encountered no problems with rule breakers.  Kids 8 and under are not supposed to go into the dog park.

andi

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2013, 09:48:42 PM »
Wow - that is way up there on the "I am so special the world revolves around me" meter.  Unless a toddler is in a secure stroller or back pack - you're asking for trouble.

Our dog park is decided into 3 areas: 1 fenced for under 25 pound dogs; 1 fenced in for over 25 pound dogs and behind those areas is an unfenced open area of trails for anyone to use.  Since we have 2 dogs and a child -Boo goes with me and Captian Jack (Yorkie)  and hubby takes Bailey Princess Crazy-Pants the lab.  Even being careful, hubby's been knocked over by enthusiastic dogs chasing each other - I wont take Bailey alone because I worry about other people's doggie control.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
Dh went to our dog park yesterday and took a picture of the new sign up there with the new membership on there, starting April 1!  It was interesting since we were talking about it here.  I think it just got to be too much financially for the county to try to "police" the dog park.  In the past month there, we have had

1.  One woman who shows up regularly stewed to the gills and drinking adult beverages, but with her kennel-cough infected dog in tow; two of our friends had their dogs come down with it right after;
2.  A toddler/big dog interaction where the unsupervised toddler was trying to mount big dog like a pony.  Big dog moved away abruptly leaving unattended toddler to fall over.  That, of course, was big dog owner's fault since "everyone knows dogs love kids and my special toddler is a very special child."   (Note please that unsupervised toddler's mommy did not come with a dog).
3.  Increasing incidences of certain breeds which have additional restrictions on being in the park (such as: must remain on lead whereas other dogs are off lead, must be muzzled, must be neutered) being let loose in the park without adhering to those restrictions.

The fee is going to be $25 per year per family, up to 3 dogs, and the picture of the DOG will go on the laminated badge/pass.  Up to date shots will be required.  You can get a day pass for $5 per day but you still have to produce ID and the dog's picture is taken.  Plus, the rules changed to no children under 7 at all (and no strollers, which seems like an odd addition since I don't see a lot of children over 7 in strollers,) no one under 16 who isn't with a parent or guardian.  And no one in there without a dog.

I think it's a step in the right direction.

"We ate the pies."

misha412

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:53 AM »
Is it ever okay for toddlers to run around a dog park? Yay or nay?

I'm seeing a trend of parents letting their young children run around dog parks. Occasionally, a kid will get knocked down by an overly excited and curious dog. Parents feel dog owners should keep their dogs restrained within the dog park. Owners feel dogs should have a place to run and play without worrying about being stressed by kids.

I agree with everyone else. No young children should be allowed to run in off-leash dog parks.

It is not fair to the kids who face getting hurt accidentally by a pack of dogs running by or wanting to lick them. It is not fair to the dogs when owners have to corral them to protect the kids from their parents' stupidity. It is not fair to the owners who want to give their dogs exercise and a treat by allowing them off leash.

My town's dog park is one of the most popular places to be. Recently, the city added rule boards to the gates. One states that no child under 13 can be inside without a parent. And they have to have a dog with them. That is because a few parents decided the dog park gated area was a great place to leave their kids unsupervised.

Calistoga

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:51 AM »
Why in the world would you want to let your toddler run around on a lawn that's specifically designated for dogs? Ignoring the presence of excited dogs, think of the poo!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
Dh went to our dog park yesterday and took a picture of the new sign up there with the new membership on there, starting April 1!  It was interesting since we were talking about it here.  I think it just got to be too much financially for the county to try to "police" the dog park.  In the past month there, we have had

1.  One woman who shows up regularly stewed to the gills and drinking adult beverages, but with her kennel-cough infected dog in tow; two of our friends had their dogs come down with it right after;
2.  A toddler/big dog interaction where the unsupervised toddler was trying to mount big dog like a pony.  Big dog moved away abruptly leaving unattended toddler to fall over.  That, of course, was big dog owner's fault since "everyone knows dogs love kids and my special toddler is a very special child."   (Note please that unsupervised toddler's mommy did not come with a dog).
3.  Increasing incidences of certain breeds which have additional restrictions on being in the park (such as: must remain on lead whereas other dogs are off lead, must be muzzled, must be neutered) being let loose in the park without adhering to those restrictions.

The fee is going to be $25 per year per family, up to 3 dogs, and the picture of the DOG will go on the laminated badge/pass.  Up to date shots will be required.  You can get a day pass for $5 per day but you still have to produce ID and the dog's picture is taken.  Plus, the rules changed to no children under 7 at all (and no strollers, which seems like an odd addition since I don't see a lot of children over 7 in strollers,) no one under 16 who isn't with a parent or guardian.  And no one in there without a dog.

I think it's a step in the right direction.

I can understand the addition of no strollers. A number of people believe that small babies don't count as children. Spelling out no children under 7, even in strollers, probably makes less confusion on that.

I don't think even well-behaved small kids belong in dog parks. I look at it this way - my dog is really well behaved, especially around small children and old people. She just is. BUT - you don't know that, and why would you? You shouldn't have to worry about whether my dog is going to bowl your kid over, or nip her, or scratch. By the same token, I don't know your kid, and why should I? You can say they are well-behaved and used to dogs, but it doesn't matter. I don't know you and have no reason to believe you, just as you have no reason to believe me that my dog is harmless. I shouldn't have to worry about your kid pulling my dog's ears, or poking her eye, or deity-forbid trying to ride her. I really don't understand people to whom this doesn't make sense.

All yous general, of course.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
She started yelling at my dog and the other one saying NO! THIS BALL IS FOR BAXTER! GET AWAY!

And the dogs hear "blah! blah BALL! blah blah blah!"   ;D   Great idea!
I'll get there.  Eventually.