Author Topic: No, I don't want to sell your stuff in my store!  (Read 6495 times)

Lynn2000

Re: No, I don't want to sell your stuff in my store!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
Yipe. I mean, it doesn't have to be bad, but the fact that this lady is nearly a stranger who lives far away from you makes it seem weird to me, like she's trying to force a lot more closeness than the relationship merits. I don't know if you were leaving some stuff out of her emails or not, but it seems to me like they are light on the kind of details that a serious professional would provide when hoping to start a business relationship. Plus, the first email where she rattles off a bunch of different jobs she can do was just weird--like a spam email or something.

I think I would give my mom a head's-up to not tell people about my business anymore, or at least not suggest it to them as an avenue for their own ambitions. I don't like to just not respond to emails, though I think it wouldn't be rude; but I would wait several days, then just respond with something like, "Yeah, it can be tough. Good luck!"
~Lynn2000

LEMon

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
The challenge I forsee is if she is one of those people who, when they don't get the answer they want, just keep changing the question around.

I would be more direct (when you feel comfortable).  If you would be willing to favorite her store once it is up and running, I would state to her that you are willing to do that, and just that.  If you don't feel comfortable 'recommending' a store you don't frequent, stall by suggesting you want to see it in operation for a little while first.  Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, be as direct as you can be to say you will keep an eye on her work, but not promise anything else.

I would also suggest taking longer and longer to respond.  "Life is busy." is your reason.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
The woman sounds pushy and annoying. Lots of ideas about lots of things.  Yeah. . . .   I couldn't get thru the third email - seriously, my eyes started to glaze.  ::)  (No offense, OP)  I wouldn't respond to her anymore.  Delete.

btw, I've bought a couple things thru etsy.  Very pleased.  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:43:34 PM by oceanus »

bonyk

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Did your mom give her your email?

In order to keep good will between you mom and her, I would respond with, "Unfortunately, I don't have time for that in my schedule.  Good luck!"  And keep responding with that to every email she sends.  Because you know she's going to keep going.   ::)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 05:09:29 PM »
Did your mom give her your email?

In order to keep good will between you mom and her, I would respond with, "Unfortunately, I don't have time for that in my schedule.  Good luck!"  And keep responding with that to every email she sends.  Because you know she's going to keep going.   ::)

My mom mentioned to me several months ago that some of her friends had commented on a few of her necklaces (which I had made), and could I bring some of my cards the next time I was visiting so she could hand them out if anyone asked?  I'm sure that's how this lady got my email address.  I'm also sure this wasn't the only person who asked (mom would have told me, if so) - but this may have been the only person who asked for a card and actually meant ". . . because I totally expect to form a business relationship!"

Yipe. I mean, it doesn't have to be bad, but the fact that this lady is nearly a stranger who lives far away from you makes it seem weird to me, like she's trying to force a lot more closeness than the relationship merits.

Yeah, that pretty much characterizes all her interactions with my mom and the other people at church - one of the reasons she considers my mom one of her best friends and my mom just considers her someone to get along with for the sake of church harmony.  I've met her a few times - she's not too weird in person, unless you talk to her for a while and she gets onto the subject of one of her pet projects.  She just has some odd conversational habits like not noticing when the topic of conversation has moved on, showing way more emotion about the topic than everyone else talking, etc.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »
She sure likes exclamation points and double question marks.
"We ate the pies."

Cutenoob

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
Just put a rule on her address to put in to spam or trash. Now she can't even ask if you GOT her mail. If your mother then contacts you about her, that's whole nudder ball of wax. This emailer: trash or spam, do not respond.

Palladium

• Gemfire Wire Jewellery
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure on Etsy that if you didn't make it yourself then you can't sell it through your store (unless it's vintage or supplies). The only way multiple people can sell through the same store is through a co-op arrangement where each person is essentially a 'part-owner.' So technically you're not allowed to sell any of her items. Her mum can just add her as a partner on her account, or she can set up her own, it's really not difficult.

Carotte

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »
For me it sounds now like she just want to chat and overshare now. I'd say take longer and longer to answer with something like "Yeah, it can be tough. Good luck!" just like Lynn2000 said.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure on Etsy that if you didn't make it yourself then you can't sell it through your store (unless it's vintage or supplies). The only way multiple people can sell through the same store is through a co-op arrangement where each person is essentially a 'part-owner.' So technically you're not allowed to sell any of her items. Her mum can just add her as a partner on her account, or she can set up her own, it's really not difficult.

This is a point I was going to make. I sell on Etsy, too, and they can be pretty strict about that sort of thing.

kansha

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »

This is a point I was going to make. I sell on Etsy, too, and they can be pretty strict about that sort of thing.
...unless you're an importer; see any number of posts on the late lamented regretsy site having to do with 'handmade' garments, furniture etc. imported from china and elsewhere...=/

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »

...unless you're an importer; see any number of posts on the late lamented regretsy site having to do with 'handmade' garments, furniture etc. imported from china and elsewhere...=/
My understanding is that those are blatantly against the Etsy terms, but survive well enough until people report them, considering the number of stores on the site.

kansha

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »

My understanding is that those are blatantly against the Etsy terms, but survive well enough until people report them, considering the number of stores on the site.
they *were* reported by both april and the members of regretsy...and etsy did nothing =/

Palladium

• Gemfire Wire Jewellery
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »

they *were* reported by both april and the members of regretsy...and etsy did nothing =/

Yes unfortunately a lot of this does go on, but the point is that this is a perfectly legitimate way to politely say no to these requests. The OP can't sell items made by this girl in her shop as it is against the Etsy terms of use. 

Jovismom

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
Just put a rule on her address to put in to spam or trash. Now she can't even ask if you GOT her mail. If your mother then contacts you about her, that's whole nudder ball of wax. This emailer: trash or spam, do not respond.

This is what I'd do.  I just don't see any reason to even read or reply to any further messages.