Author Topic: FB "Give a Gift"  (Read 3103 times)

CrochetFanatic

FB "Give a Gift"
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »
I've never encountered this feature before, but a relative of mine has gotten married within the past week, and this has appeared beside her last "added a life event" post.  Basically, it's a link or something that has a tiny cartoon picture of a present beside the words "Give a Gift", and it links to a feature where you can purchase a gift online and have it delivered to the couple.

I literally did a "confused puppy" head tilt, because I've never seen this before, and I don't know what to make of it.  They already had a wedding shower, and lots of gifts were given there.  I gave a gift at the shower, and I'm flat broke anyway, so I couldn't respond to this FB thing either way.  Is this a new thing that people are doing these days?  Just for the record, my relative isn't the type of person to be like "gimme!", and neither is her new husband.  They're very gracious, so I don't think there's rudeness here.  But has anyone else encountered this on FB, and is it anything like a bridal or baby registry?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:31:07 PM by CrochetFanatic »

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
Re: FB "Give a Gift"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
They aren't asking for anything, that's all facebook marketing. Don't worry about it. :)

FTR, it *really* bothers me that facebook begs for gifts for without permission!

ETA: here's a little more info about the gifts thing: http://www.insidefacebook.com/2012/09/27/facebook-launches-facebook-gifts-for-users-to-buy-friends-real-gifts-through-mobile-and-desktop/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:35:26 PM by Cat-Fu »
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
Whew!  That's sort of a relief.  ;D

Also, now I'm kind of indignant.  I didn't know Facebook could do that.  >:(

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
Yeah, I've seen these pop up when I've been reminded by FB about someone's birthday, and written "happy birthday" on their wall. I'm fairly certain it just happens automatically and the person doesn't specifically request it. If anyone knows if you can turn it off on your own stuff, let me know!
~Lynn2000

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
Yup. Ignore. This is just FB's new type of advertising.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »
Yep, I see them a lot, including quite a few that specifically suggest a Starbucks gift card. I am guessing that comes up on the b-days of friends who've "Like"d Starbucks on FB.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
Yep, I see them a lot, including quite a few that specifically suggest a Starbucks gift card. I am guessing that comes up on the b-days of friends who've "Like"d Starbucks on FB.

I don't think the person even needs to have Like'd Starbucks--it suggests Starbucks to (and for) everybody.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:09:47 PM »

I don't think the person even needs to have Like'd Starbucks--it suggests Starbucks to (and for) everybody.

I haven't seen it for everybody, but it may just be random, or anyone of X age, or Starbucks pays them for Y suggestions/week or whatever.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
When my DH had a birthday Facebook kindly suggested I send him a Starbucks gift card ::). I thought it was pretty ridiculous that FB noticed the bit about it being his birthday but not the bit about me being his wife and, presumably, capable of taking him to an actual Starbucks if I so choose.

caroled

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »

I haven't seen it for everybody, but it may just be random, or anyone of X age, or Starbucks pays them for Y suggestions/week or whatever.

I've only been abused by this advertising for the last week or so. Every time I checked into FB last week, it popped up on the left side of my screen and would not allow me to close it out....  EVERY time... very frustrating!!! >:(

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
When my DH had a birthday Facebook kindly suggested I send him a Starbucks gift card ::). I thought it was pretty ridiculous that FB noticed the bit about it being his birthday but not the bit about me being his wife and, presumably, capable of taking him to an actual Starbucks if I so choose.

At valentine's day, it suggested that I give my DH a gift, so FB probably does notice, but doesn't add that bit of logic into the birthday algorithm. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »
Facebook is a free service. The money to run it (and make a profit) has to come from somewhere - in this case, advertising. Nowadays, sneaky advertising (such as those that make you feel you have to send a present from an advertiser) is becoming the norm.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »

That happened to me recently. I just had to shake my head. Poor facebook doesn't know DH lied. His birthday was months ago. I know, because I'm his wife, and FB will never know DH like I do.

also, I would certainly hope to never see advertising for what DH really wants for his birthday. Even if they did, I wouldn't pay for it...
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

strawbabies

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
I was curious when I first saw the gift thing on there, and went browsing.  They were selling stuff that was ridiculously overpriced, like a $17 cupcake.  I'm not going to buy myself a cupcake that expensive, let alone as a gift for someone else.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »
I might...for a very, very special occasion, and if I hadn't already given a gift of some sort.  It's a cute idea, but wow...I clicked those out of curiosity myself, and they are rather expensive.