Author Topic: Vacation Dictators.  (Read 30128 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Vacation Dictators.
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
Reading in this thread - it hit me just now - THIS is what was irritating me about SIL's questions about them joining us on vacation in Orlando in JUNE when, as a teacher, VorGuy has his vacation scheduled for JULY.  Notice the different months? 

We might OWN one time share in June, but it's at a large resort with a lot of locations - rescheduling to another time & place is almost as easy as getting in a time machine (but with less danger of running into live dinosaurs if you make a wrong entry).  There are rude tourists - but they are a problem in so very many locations and they don't EAT you, unlike dinosaurs.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #256 on: March 12, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »
*nodding*

This is what I run into with Dad.  Whenever he wants to go somewhere he thinks: "I can use L_E's timeshare!  All she has to do is book it!  Woohoo, free place to stay!!!"  Except certain places must be booked a year or so in advance to get in.  It also isn't free, not to me.  Or worse, he'll "promise" it to someone without talking to me first. 

Since he bought the first one, he feels as if he controls all of them when that's not the case.

bloo

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2013, 12:43:38 AM »
*nodding*

This is what I run into with Dad.  Whenever he wants to go somewhere he thinks: "I can use L_E's timeshare!  All she has to do is book it!  Woohoo, free place to stay!!!"  Except certain places must be booked a year or so in advance to get in.  It also isn't free, not to me.  Or worse, he'll "promise" it to someone without talking to me first. 

Since he bought the first one, he feels as if he controls all of them when that's not the case.

Do people not understand that even if your timeshare is paid for, maintenance fees never are?

When DH worked for Fairfield 10 years ago we were able to stay at their resorts for free. They were amazing and the choice of locations was out of this world. But I could never pull the trigger on buying one because of the maintenance fees (even thought the fees are necessary).

The points system was great for being able to go anywhere, but Xmas at Bonnet Creek? Puhleeeze. Years in advance, maybe.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
Oh, he understands.  We kids split his between us most years.  He just gets irate because he thinks he ought to have all the say as to how they're used and who uses them.  Exasperating!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
Given the news recently, I keep seeing this thread as "Vatican Dictators" and get a giggle every time I load the "Life in General" page  :)

TOLady

« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
My vacation dictator just got me a free vacation.

I'm in the midst of organizing the social aspect of a conference in My Fair City and had posted on FB that I was looking forward to booking a  vacation down south following the conference. My brother immediately posted that I shouldn't be spending money in another country and that I should be spending it here and going to MFC's cultural sites.

I wrote back that the part of the conference I was organizing was trips to most of the cultural sites and that I just wanted beach, books and booze and to wind down after spending the last few months organizing this!

My Mom saw the back and forth, called me up and said that she completely agreed with me. She is getting on in years and may not be able to travel far much longer, so she's "hired" me to be her companion. She'll pay for the trip (no single supplement, so separate rooms - we've both been to this resort before so we're very familiar with it) as long as I help her through the airports, have lunches and dinners with her on occassion. She's still fairly self-sufficient and our friend at the resort will ensure that I get breaks if I get overwhelmed.

Thanks, Bro! I owe you one!  >:D

bloo

« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

I'm in the midst of organizing the social aspect of a conference in My Fair City and had posted on FB that I was looking forward to booking a  vacation down south following the conference. My brother immediately posted that I shouldn't be spending money in another country and that I should be spending it here and going to MFC's cultural sites.

I wrote back that the part of the conference I was organizing was trips to most of the cultural sites and that I just wanted beach, books and booze and to wind down after spending the last few months organizing this!

My Mom saw the back and forth, called me up and said that she completely agreed with me. She is getting on in years and may not be able to travel far much longer, so she's "hired" me to be her companion. She'll pay for the trip (no single supplement, so separate rooms - we've both been to this resort before so we're very familiar with it) as long as I help her through the airports, have lunches and dinners with her on occassion. She's still fairly self-sufficient and our friend at the resort will ensure that I get breaks if I get overwhelmed.

Awesome!  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

Did you have a response for your brother?

TOLady

« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »
I haven't posted on FB as yet that we're going, and if I do, I certainly won't post that Mumsy is paying, more of a general "Vacation - here we come!".

He'd get even more upset about Mom going on vacation "at her age and her health conditions - she shouldn't be wasting her money on trips!"  ::).

However, it's all well and good that he can go to Vegas at the drop of a hat since "my company is paying for it".

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #264 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »

Heehee!! I think that's hilarious and I'd love to see his reaction when you both return from the trip happy and refreshed, "daring" to defy his decree as to where you should travel!  >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

NotCinderell

« Reply #265 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:01 AM »
:D  I go to Vegas so much I'm practically a local and get this - I don't gamble.  Which mystifies my parents.  I love restaurants and boy is Vegas a great place to eat, and people watch, and shop.  We like to explore the city, so we aren't on the Strip as much as you might think.  I haunt the food reviews in the RJ to find new places to try, and find fun things to do.  We're likely to hop into the car and go to Trader Joe's and lunch at In N Out versus going to a buffet.  We go see minor league sports. 

I've never been to Disney, but I'm thinking about going next year.
My grandparents retired to Vegas and would pay for us to go out there to take vacations to see them.  We don't gamble, either, and we found lots of stuff to do.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
I haven't posted on FB as yet that we're going, and if I do, I certainly won't post that Mumsy is paying, more of a general "Vacation - here we come!".

He'd get even more upset about Mom going on vacation "at her age and her health conditions - she shouldn't be wasting her money on trips!"  ::).

However, it's all well and good that he can go to Vegas at the drop of a hat since "my company is paying for it".

Well, what is she gonna do with it? Take it with her?  ::)
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

I sadly suspect another motive.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2013, 02:56:19 PM »

Unfortunately, so do I. My dad has told me, "If you think you're too cynical, you're probably wrong." I don't necessarily agree with that, but I try to keep, shall we say, an open mind about the motives and dealings of others.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

bloo

« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »

Unfortunately, so do I. My dad has told me, "If you think you're too cynical, you're probably wrong." I don't necessarily agree with that, but I try to keep, shall we say, an open mind about the motives and dealings of others.

I see I'm not the only one with a cynical, suspicious mind. :(