Author Topic: Work baby shower - for new boss - New q #15  (Read 5067 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Work baby shower - for new boss - New q #15
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I started a new job 3 weeks ago, (yay) and my boss is pregnant. TPTB have decided to hold a work baby shower for her. I was hired on as her assistant but I am here on a temporary contract.

I RSVP'd yes to the shower, but I was wondering what my obligations are as far as a gift goes. Should I be asking the organizer about registry information?

I'm concerned because I don't want to look "cheap" at the shower, but my budget will not allow me to spend very much and I fear that my boss will have a high end registry with gifts that will strain my budget.

WWEHD? Just bring what I can afford?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:34:14 PM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

alice

Re: Work baby shower - for new boss
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »
I would pick out a nice book for the baby's library.   Wrap it very nice, with a card. Maybe put a rattle (an inexpensive item but makes the gift look better)

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
Find out if there is going to be a group gift to which several people contribute and throw in a nominal amount that you can afford.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
If you have any budget at all, I think a small gift is a good idea.  Generally I don't think gifts "travel up" but this not really about work, its about creating personal goodwill with the whole office, especially the boss. A cute onsie and a rattle, or a set of bibs, can probably be obtained for $5, and if you have a stash of lovely wrapping and ribbons, it can make for a perfectly acceptable gift - its something that will get used. This really is a "its the thought that counts" type situation - it doesn't matter what you get, that you got anything will be appreciated.

And if you have no budget, perhaps doing more on the organizing side.  Helping out will help you to better learn co-workers names, how various departments work (securing a conference room, coordinating catering, working with facilities for decorating, etc) since those procedures vary in each office, and involve a lot of grunt work. That type of effort is well received and often noticed and a perfectly acceptable contribution from a lower staff member.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
I started a new job 3 weeks ago, (yay) and my boss is pregnant. TPTB have decided to hold a work baby shower for her. I was hired on as her assistant but I am here on a temporary contract.

I RSVP'd yes to the shower, but I was wondering what my obligations are as far as a gift goes. Should I be asking the organizer about registry information?

I'm concerned because I don't want to look "cheap" at the shower, but my budget will not allow me to spend very much and I fear that my boss will have a high end registry with gifts that will strain my budget.

WWEHD? Just bring what I can afford?

Are they dong a collection? If so, I'd just give what I could afford.  If not, I think you're fine getting something within your budget, that isn't necessarily ON the registry. You can get some nice things for not a lot.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
POD to seeing if there is going to be a group gift.  Give what you can afford.  If there is no group gift go with something every new mom can use.  You can usually get a pretty gift bag and fill it with baby wash, shampoo, lotion and other baby toiletries and spend only about $20.00 total.

Betelnut

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
You can get a board book for about 6 bucks.  I recommend any book by Sandra Boynton.  Here's a good one:  Moo Baa LaLaLa! by Sandra Boynton

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
A nice kids book and a card stating your congratulations and why you picked the book.
Or
Throw some money ($5-10) into the contribution if there is one.
Or
A cute onesie

I'd avoid stuffed animals myself. They are super cute and people LOVE to buy them for kids, but I have a ridiculous number of stuffies (and they are so hard to throw out as each one was given by someone who cares about my kid)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »
I'd either find out if a pool of money was being collected for a group gift or I would buy a couple of cute bibs or funny burp cloths.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
You can get a board book for about 6 bucks.  I recommend any book by Sandra Boynton.  Here's a good one:  Moo Baa LaLaLa! by Sandra Boynton

I LOVE THESE! I worked (many moons ago) for the publisher and have given this one and others as baby gifts.  My other fave is "But Not the Hippopatamus"

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »

I LOVE THESE! I worked (many moons ago) for the publisher and have given this one and others as baby gifts.  My other fave is "But Not the Hippopatamus"
Oh, I love these too.  Loved them so much, my DD's nursery was decorated in Boynton design back in the early '90s.

snowdragon

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

Oh, I love these too.  Loved them so much, my DD's nursery was decorated in Boynton design back in the early '90s.

I still love this one: "But Not the Hippopotamus"   on the rare occasions that I will send a gift to a shower that is what I send.  ( I usually hand make the gifts I take after the baby is born)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »

I still love this one: "But Not the Hippopotamus"   on the rare occasions that I will send a gift to a shower that is what I send.  ( I usually hand make the gifts I take after the baby is born)

But Not the Hippopotamus was one of my DD's favorite books. Ooh, I like the idea of a Boynton collection. Thanks, E-hell!
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Arrynne

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
A card and a small gift would be fabulous.  Board books are awesome.  My personal favorite is "Little Blue Truck".  I agree with the advice to skip the stuffies.  They're cute and breed like tribbles.  Baby Socks are another terrific gift.  They're always disappearing once the child learns to take them off.  A pack of diapers, a small toy, or a SleepSack.  For something a little more unusual, but very useful, try a pair of baby legwarmers like BabyLegs (www.babylegs.com). I use these to convert a short sleeve shirt into a long sleeve one, or to cover his legs if it gets chilly and he's wearing shorts.

Arrynne

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »

But Not the Hippopotamus was one of my DD's favorite books. Ooh, I like the idea of a Boynton collection. Thanks, E-hell!

If you're a Costco member, the Costco by my house was selling sets of three Boynton books.  There were three different sets that I saw.  Yours may have the same sets.