Author Topic: Work baby shower - for new boss - New q #15  (Read 5174 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Re: Work baby shower - for new boss - New q #15
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »
Hi, OP here - resurrecting kind of a zombie-thread, but I have a new question on this.

I found out from the organizer today that there is no group present. Everyone is bringing individual presents. She is registered at a high end place, as I feared, and all gift options are over my budget.

In the shower invite, it now reads "In place of a card, please give a story book and inside include your best wishes".

Well, my gift was going to be the story book. Does this new information mean that I need to spring for a higher priced gift? All of the attedees of this shower are going to be much higher up in the organization than myself - and I worry this could serve as political suicide, especially as I'm here as a contractor. They are opening up a lot of positions in my department and there is a slim chance that my role could expand to full-time.

I know that any gift I choose to give is still a gift and to be appreciated, and I honestly can't afford more than a book set anyway - but will giving the book set now make me look like a cheap-o-saurus compared to the other people?
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
I am someone who kicks in big bucks to the group gift.

And I do this because I am thinking specifically of people like you. Who don't have a lot of money (or, don't have a lot for THIS person), or who feel awkward or unwilling to pitch in for their boss/coworker hey don't know well/ etc.

I am covering for you. Take advantage of it.

Your $2 or $5 will fill in some hole left by me and my $20 or $50.

(Personally, I don't even care if the recipient knows exactly who gave; as far as I am concerned, you can sign the card even if your contribution was $0.)

HOWEVER, you do have a PR opportunity here. And my experience is that the vast majority of people prefer a personal touch to a $$ one.

So if you have any experience w/ a book, gadget, outfit, whatever, that you think is particularly good, give that, even if it's cheap. Include a note from you explaining your personal experience and expressing good wishes. You'll make a much bigger splash than the $50 gift card.

BarensMom

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
With your update, I feel for you even more (I just read your other thread).  I've been in your situation (both threads), and it's very uncomfortable.

The only thing I can think of is to buy another few baby books in addition to the one you already purchased.  ("Pat the Bunny" is one that comes to mind.)  If you don't think additional books will pass muster, then I'm afraid you'll have to make a trip to high-end baby store and hope for a sale.

I learned very quickly as a contractor NOT to accept any invitations within the first few months of my employment.  A contractor is neither fish nor fowl, and is often not expected/wanted to socialize. 

dawbs

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
ugh.
Is there anything you can make?
I nkow making stuff sounds hard but there is some really easy baby stuff out there--like 'personalized burp cloth' (google 'embellished prefold')--http://crazylittleprojects.com/2012/04/burp-cloths-made-from-cloth-diapers.html

Can you try to organize a group gift?
Like, I dunno, find 2 or 3 other 'lower paid' people and ask "hey, would you be interested in going together on X's gift?  if we each give $10, we could get her [have a few ideas]"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »
Wow, this is *really* awkward.  Okay, so you say you have no budget.  But obviously you're going to get her *something*, so you have at least a little bit you're planning to spend.  Can you give us a clue how much that is?  That would help a lot.

I got my daughter an Oball rattle for Easter.  They run about $5-10, depending on the style, and they're cute and baby rattle-ish, one of those might be interesting.  Also, you could look at those little toys that you can Velcro together onto the handle of the carseat carrier, or the baby's wrist, or the top of a baby gym, whatever, so that the baby can reach for them.  They can be really cute.  "Stroller toys" is what you'd want to look for.  Also, we're very partial to "Freddie the Firefly," which can be a stroller toy or just to hold in the baby's arms.  It's a great size and really cute, lots of nice sound and stuff to grab for a baby.  That can also be under $10.

There's also the option of just sticking with the book, or books.  There's a halfway decent chance that she won't really notice that your only present to her is the books, or won't really think too hard about it in the midst of all the other presents.  That might depend on personality, though, which is something that really only you know.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
I vote for getting the books or something cheap, but making them meaningful in some way.  Try the Good Night series - http://goodnightbooks.com/.  You can get one for your current state or city, and one for where your new boss and/or her husband is from, if you know.

If you know where your boss and/or her husband went to college, maybe a cheap onesie from that college? 

lilfox

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »

In the shower invite, it now reads "In place of a card, please give a story book and inside include your best wishes".

Presumably this means the mom to be really wants a library of good books - I say a nice 3-book set is ideal.  If you were her boss or a long-time peer something, I could see spending a bit more.  But as a new (and temporary) employee?  I would say a couple of books is totally appropriate.  Anyone expecting more of you is IMHO being greedy about the whole thing.

Also, I don't think that you would, OP, but in this kind of situation, even if it feels uncomfortable if others seem to have gone overboard, never put down your own gift to the receiver or the others ("Oh dear, I know it's not as nice as that video monitor/BOB stroller/whatever").  If there is a present-opening part, beam when she gets to yours.  If there's an opportunity to comment, say something positive and enthusiastic - "Oh this was my favorite book when I was a kid," "This one is so fun to read, I thought you'd enjoy it," "I always loved the drawings" or similar.  You're doing a really nice thing and it stands on its own merits.   ;)

If you want to go all out, find a matching small toy that fits the book theme (a small bunny for "Peter Rabbit" or something - Easter sales!).

About the earlier suggestions to join a group gift (I know that's not an option here) - just a caveat.  This works out all right if it is anonymous donations, collected in an envelope or something.  But I agreed to join a group gift for a coworker and it cost me $35 that I was not expecting.  The money wasn't pooled up front, and we weren't told the split until after the gifts had been bought and the organizer sent an email with a weak "If this is too much I guess I could return something..."  Ergh.

Kaypeep

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
I'd stick with the original gift of a book and that's it.  If you're not totally broke and want to score some brownie points, add in a picture frame.  I honestly think you're putting too much pressure on yourself.  You barely know the person and you won't be there permanently.  It's the thought that counts and you're being thoughtful.   Don't go crazy and spend a lot on someone who you probably won't even see when the baby turns 1.

bonyk

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »
Are you crafty?  I've seen people sew a ribbon onto a burp cloth.  Makes a cute, cheap gift.

Video here:

http://www.marthastewart.com/244611/decorative-burp-cloth

peaches

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »
Wow, that is kind of a presumptuous invitation (asking for a book and another gift). This could have been a good idea if it was a book only shower. Or if it was a book and a small donation to a group gift. But this group seems to be going overboard.

Plus, she is probably going to get 10 copies of Goodbye Moon.

Anyway, I'd get a small board book (small books are easier for little ones to hold) and perhaps a hooded bath towel, or something like that. FYI, Target has adorable baby things for only a few dollars.

Keep it inexpensive and don't be embarrassed. Just share in your boss's excitement and enjoy the shower!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »
Hi, OP here - resurrecting kind of a zombie-thread, but I have a new question on this.

I found out from the organizer today that there is no group present. Everyone is bringing individual presents. She is registered at a high end place, as I feared, and all gift options are over my budget.

Well, my gift was going to be the story book. Does this new information mean that I need to spring for a higher priced gift? All of the attedees of this shower are going to be much higher up in the organization than myself - and I worry this could serve as political suicide, especially as I'm here as a contractor. They are opening up a lot of positions in my department and there is a slim chance that my role could expand to full-time.

I know that any gift I choose to give is still a gift and to be appreciated, and I honestly can't afford more than a book set anyway - but will giving the book set now make me look like a cheap-o-saurus compared to the other people?
i have a feeling i am reading this wrong, but I read this to mean: "new mom would be delighted if you choose to give a book, and *write* something meaningful inside". This would be instead of giving a card. but maybe i'm reading this wrong.

In any case, I would not give more than you can afford, period. It doesn't matter what 'the organizers' think. Buy a book, or a few books, whatever you can afford, and put a small card inside. remember - you *just* started the job, you aren't planning to stay there, and this person is a higher up. I don't think more than 5-10$ is necessary.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lowspark

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
Peaches beat me to it, but I POD Target. Check out their clearance rack (they pretty much always have one). Chances are very good you can pick up something pretty cute for under $10.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »
OP again - thank you all for the support and ideas.

I think I'm going to go with my original plan and buy her a boxed set of Sandra Boynton books. Those were my daughter's absolute favorites, so I will write that in the note to her.

I think the shower might be awkward because out of 30 invitees, 3 are admin support including me. The rest are associate VP level and up. Well, I can only afford what I can afford and that's that.

Thanks - will let you know how this pans out.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

peaches

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

I think I'm going to go with my original plan and buy her a boxed set of Sandra Boynton books. Those were my daughter's absolute favorites, so I will write that in the note to her.

That sounds like a wonderful gift to me. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated - and well used!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
Wow, that is kind of a presumptuous invitation (asking for a book and another gift). This could have been a good idea if it was a book only shower. Or if it was a book and a small donation to a group gift. But this group seems to be going overboard.

Plus, she is probably going to get 10 copies of Goodbye Moon.

Anyway, I'd get a small board book (small books are easier for little ones to hold) and perhaps a hooded bath towel, or something like that. FYI, Target has adorable baby things for only a few dollars.

Keep it inexpensive and don't be embarrassed. Just share in your boss's excitement and enjoy the shower!

Baby books generally run just a few bucks.  I can generally find one I like for about what I spend on a card so I don't see it as all that presumptuous.  The differencet to me is that the book will obviously be kept and reread so it is actually a better investment.  Of course, I say that as somebody who spends a lot of tiem trying to pick out just the right card anyway.