Author Topic: Color Me Rad-- any other ehellions doing this?  (Read 3715 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Color Me Rad-- any other ehellions doing this?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:39 PM »
unfortunately i have none of those, though what i did link to was the Couch to 5K... I will just rock it old school. no iphone or anything... maybe a stop watch or something?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
there is a printable schedule you can use...

ETA:  FOUND IT!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:21:13 AM by PastryGoddess »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
there is a printable schedule you can use...

ETA:  FOUND IT!

You... are... AWESOME!  ;D

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »
A stopwatch or a timer is very handy for learning to run. I first tried with distance (run one block, walk one block) instead of time (run 60 seconds, walk 90) and that doesn't work well because as I got tired, I'd speed up at the end to make it through, and well... slow and steady finishes the race! Once I started doing time intervals, well whether you speed up or slow down to make it to the corner, 60 seconds is 60 seconds, is 60 seconds. And that's how you build endurance.

If you don't have a timer, one thing I did in the beginning when I was breaking myself into running, was I programed my MP3 player with all 2 minute songs (at that point I was doing 2 minute run, 2 minute walk) and then the next week 3 minute songs, etc. Since its digital I could sort the songs by time and create a play list easily. Once I was dedicated to running and doing longer runs, I invested in a sports watch with a timer setting.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:03:22 AM »
I just read that couch to 5k.  Its very good but I would not have been able to that when I started - I could walk many miles but I just didn't have the stamina to jump into that much running that fast. I did the program in The Runners Handbook by Bob Glover (the program used by NYC's Road Runner's Club for beginner runners). It starts off similar but is 10 weeks, and IMO a bit easier:

week 1: jog 1 minute, walk 2 minute, repeat 7 times (total run: 7 minutes)
week 2: jog 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, repeat 5 times (total run: 10 minutes)
week 3: jog 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes, repeat 4 times (total run: 12 minutes)
week 4: jog 5 minutes, walk 2 minutes, repeat 3 times (total run: 15 minutes)
week 5: jog 6 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes, repeat 3 times (total run: 18 minutes)
week 6: jog 8 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes, repeat 2 times (total run: 16 minutes)
week 7: jog 10 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes, repeat 2 times (total run: 20 minutes)
week 8: jog 12 minutes, walk 1 minute, jog 8 minutes, walk 1 (total run: 20 minutes)
week 9: jog 15 minutes, walk 1 minute, jog 5 minutes, walk 1 (total run: 20 minutes)
week 10: jog 20 minutes and feel awesome about yourself!

You do this 3-4 times a week, with at least 5 minutes brisk walk warm up and 5 minutes slow walk cool down. Admittedly it doesn't take you to 5k, so its slower then the Couch to 5k 9 week program, but honestly once you get to running 20 minutes (1.5-2 miles, depending on your speed) its easy to push to the 30-40 minutes a 5k takes a beginner in another week or 3.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
WillyNilly I will look into yours, because that does sound a bit easier... and I need to build up stamina.

katycoo

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »
I did a 5K colour run in Sydney a few weeks ago.  Honestly - its wasn't that much fun.  A bit of a let down really.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
I'm thinking on doing the DC one now that this thread has been started

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
I'm thinking on doing the DC one now that this thread has been started

Yay! Then this can become a cheering and support thread! :)

Coralreef

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
I'm seriously thinking of doing the Montreal one.  I'll look at the couchpotatoe to runner options and pick one.  Our run is at the begining of June, so I have to get my lardy butt in gear!

[/right

miredrose326

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
I really, really want to do the Color Run in Grand Rapids. It's in August so hopefully I can get from my non-running self to at least jogging by then. I want to get my 15 year old son to do it with me because I think he'd have fun (he'd abandon me immediately). My 13 year old daughter would go slow with me but complain the whole time so I may see if she wants to cheer for me at the finish line.

Anyway, just need to get the $ together to sign up and get training.
My beautiful babies 

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
I just noticed the question about food during the race. A 5k is only 3 miles, you really don't need any fuel during the race.  Most races have water stops as well, so no need to carry water.  Even an extra big breakfast isn't necessary, and may lead to some GI "distress." As you train, you will get a feel for what your body needs. Have fun!

Not such a newbie anymore

Nikko-chan

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »
Yay! Earliest registration is open!!! Now I need to come up with a team name... >.<

BuffaloFang

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
I did Color Me Rad last year.  Honestly, it wasn't what I was looking for in a run.  The race director even acknowledged that there were problems.

My biggest issue was that in my city, the course was set over a random field - prairie dog holes and all.  The waves weren't staggered by running speed either, so passing people was a pain.  It really seemed set up to cater to walkers more than runners.  I think if this is your first event ever, or you're just in it for the camaraderie and don't care too much about the running aspect, it might be a good fit, but if the actual running part is important to you, I'd choose a different race.

That said, the color stations were pretty fun.

You shouldn't need food for a 5k.  Generally they have some small snacks at the end (usually free and provided by sponsors), and the post race meal with friends is always part of the fun.

Coralreef

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
Registration sent!  This will be the first time ever I've tried running.  I started the training Willynilly posted, seems to be the best one for me (and the dog). 

I'm not aiming at running the entire 5K, fantastic if I'm able to do it, if not, hey, I tried.  I think getting pelted by coloured corn starch is a once in a lifetime event.   ;D

[/right