Author Topic: Color Me Rad-- any other ehellions doing this?  (Read 3749 times)

gingerzing

Re: Color Me Rad-- any other ehellions doing this?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
We have a ColorRun here. 
Actually, I am doing my first ever 5K later this spring as something called a Glow Run. 
Another novelty run and since it is a glow run, it starts at night. (Going to have to take a nap before the run)
http://www.glowrun5k.com/

I am thinking of perhaps doing our city's ColorRun, but it is in the middle of summer and I am not sure how I feel about that as a newbie runner*.

*Okay, perhaps not runner, per se.  And maybe not even jogger....very fast walker or at a lope.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »
I did Couch to 5k at the end of last summer and had to repeat the first five weeks. After that it got much, much easier, but yeah, if you're not accustomed to running at all (even if you're fit, which I was), it can be a challenge. It's the first time since high school that I've been able to get into running without doing something to my knees or ankles. Yesterday I ran 7 miles. And liked it. I hated running until very recently. I'm still super slow, and probably always will be, but it makes me feel really, really good.

I'm planning on doing the Salt Lake City one in June. It will be my first race!

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Coralreef

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
Quick question for the more experienced runners : we're expecting a somewhat large snow storm this week, so running outside is not an option for a few days, what can I do indoors to compensate?  No, there is no gym nearby with an indoor running track and I'm not too keen on paying a gym membership (very expensive here) to run on a threadmill. 

Thanks!

[/right

katycoo

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
Can you do casual visits to the gym just for the week? Or still not financially viable?

I'd just do a few cardio dvds to maintain your fitness until the storm passes.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »
Not sure if you are in the US, but if so, do you have a YMCA near you?  Their guest passes are pretty inexpensive

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »
Quick question for the more experienced runners : we're expecting a somewhat large snow storm this week, so running outside is not an option for a few days, what can I do indoors to compensate?  No, there is no gym nearby with an indoor running track and I'm not too keen on paying a gym membership (very expensive here) to run on a threadmill. 

Thanks!

If you don't have downstairs neighbors, run in place. If you have Wii Fit, they have a nice little trail you can run in place to. Its not exactly the same exercise/muscle movements, but its very similar so you still are building up your heart, your stamina and your leg muscles.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
Well I guess I am not doing Color Me Rad after all. Can't get a team together, and the girl I was going to be running with and riding with is not going to do it. >.<

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »
I say run it alone. Especially if its a while from now (you never know who you might meet & befriend in the next few months).
I have run with friends and alone and honestly, its just as fun either way. These kinds of races bring out a certain energy in folks, that you will not feel lonely. Its fun to have someone waiting for you at the end, but the run itself you'll feel the camaraderie of your fellow runners... and you will look around and see most people aren't running with a friend. Even if they have friends there, different paces, etc mean many runners run solo.

gingerzing

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »

Thanks!

Not sure about running, but if you can fast walk - see if a nearby shopping mall opens for mall walkers. 
Years ago I worked in a mall and the mall opened about 1 hour before the shops did and many folks came and walked "circut".  Now some malls even open specifically early (7-8 AM for some places) for walkers and many have little mile markers (1/2 mile, 3/4-mile).  And I know some of the walkers I have seen walk FAST.  There is a whole etiquette on passing and where to toss your coats...

ETA - I googled "mall walking" and my city.  Two of the local malls have mall walking programs (each is sponsored by a different hospital even) and open early for walkers.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:46:45 AM by gingerzing »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »
I say run it alone. Especially if its a while from now (you never know who you might meet & befriend in the next few months).
I have run with friends and alone and honestly, its just as fun either way. These kinds of races bring out a certain energy in folks, that you will not feel lonely. Its fun to have someone waiting for you at the end, but the run itself you'll feel the camaraderie of your fellow runners... and you will look around and see most people aren't running with a friend. Even if they have friends there, different paces, etc mean many runners run solo.

But I don't drive, and this person was also going to be my ride too. Thus I have no ride to the race.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »

Thanks!

Honestly, I just run outside.  I can't stand indoor running. I have a better chance of completing an outdoor 20 mile run than a 3 mile run on a treadmill, I hate it so much.  Also, there's something very calm and beautiful about running outside in the snow.  Granted, you have to have some outdoor winter running gear..  (Look up "screw shoes" if you're interested in converting an old pair of shoes into studded running shoes for ice.  I also own a pair of "Stabil-Icers" - like YakTrax but more durable for running).  Otherwise, maybe you can find an outdoor high school track to use during off hours?

Coralreef

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
Reviving this thread for a bit. 

I've been able to run my 2.5 K loop this morning, without walking, with a time of 19:40.  If I keep this up, I'll be able to make the whole 5 K run without walking.   ;D 8)

I've found that running in the morning is way better stamina-wise than later in the day or after work.  And I've decided that I will keep running until snow/ice make it impossible or dangerous.  I never thought that I would acutally learn to like running.  Never too old to try something new I guess.

[/right

gingerzing

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
Way to go, CoralReef!
I did do my city's Glow Run and way really happy with my time, even though I did walk (FAST) for most of it.  I think it was around 35 minutes. not a timed event so not quite sure. 
Sadly, because it was somewhat disorganized (trouble with the first day pick up of materials, they were still putting up gating 45 minutes before the run started, only one water station on the route...) I don't think any from my team are going to sign up again for it.  Plus it was pretty late for me to be running.  Granted it is the first time that my city did this run, but still.
But I have at least one 5K in September to do and I am trying to find another race in mid June to do with a friend.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:09 AM »
CRUD MONKEYS!! First may I say that I am so proud of all of you that are training for this and other runs.

Second: Bit of an update: I have a friend who is doing the Color Me Rad run. So I do have a ride now. However (and I think this is a big however) I injured both of my knees somehow and unless I heal I won't be able to walk 5K much less run it! >.< Ah well. There is always next year.

gingerzing

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
Bummer, Nikko-chan.  Hopefully you can find a way to rehab depending on what your knee problem is.