General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Pete Townshend apologizes for swearing at young fan...

(1/11) > >>

VltGrantham:
http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2013/03/music-news/pete-townshend-apologizes-for-swearing-at-young-fan

I'm of mixed emotions on this.

First of all, I think he did handle it very badly.

Second though, I think this is a major reason why parents receive the stink-eye from the general public so much.  It's a rock concert--not Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber, but the Who.  Why in the world would you bring a 7 year old to that?  I get the impression Dad used his kid as an attention getter from a rocker he likes, then didn't like the outcome.  Also, if his DD just LOVED Pete Townshend, why didn't the sign say that instead of "smash your guitar"?

So basically, you encourage your child to encourage another to do an immature act and then get annoyed when it wasn't the act you desired?

Our DD (6) loves Billy Idol.  However, I don't think we'll be taking her to any of his concerts.

afbluebelle:
I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't bring small children to rock concerts. Just seems like it would solve any problems before they start. Had to deal with too many outraged parents who were threatening lawsuits because people weren't watching out for their kids. In a mosh pit.

Lady, there are dozens of chicks on their boyfriend's shoulders flashing their chests and then getting crowd surfed away. Not exactly a great place to put your kid on your back to get a better look. ::)

WillyNilly:
Wow.  I'm actually very upset Townsend apologized.  I mean understand why did and all, but it just sets a terrible precedence.  That parent was wrong in so many ways, and the reality is Townsend didn't even actually curse.  He merely mouthed the words.  And words the child shouldn't really understand anyway.

Tilt Fairy:

--- Quote from: VltGrantham on March 05, 2013, 01:49:48 PM ---http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2013/03/music-news/pete-townshend-apologizes-for-swearing-at-young-fan

Second though, I think this is a major reason why parents receive the stink-eye from the general public so much.  It's a rock concert--not Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber, but the Who.  Why in the world would you bring a 7 year old to that?  I get the impression Dad used his kid as an attention getter from a rocker he likes, then didn't like the outcome.  Also, if his DD just LOVED Pete Townshend, why didn't the sign say that instead of "smash your guitar"?

So basically, you encourage your child to encourage another to do an immature act and then get annoyed when it wasn't the act you desired?

Our DD (6) loves Billy Idol.  However, I don't think we'll be taking her to any of his concerts.

--- End quote ---

The sign was in reference to Pete Townshend being a guitar smasher back in his younger partying days when The Who was at their peak. He used to love smashing guitars on stage just like lots of rock gods used to enjoy doing. However he's older now and has his younger days all behind him and has often said how embarrassed and sheepish he now is about the silly things he used to do in his prime like smashing guitars and trashing rooms and equipment. Him, the rest of the band and a generation of our parents who were Who fans and made up the crowd are all older and mature now. Added to that that a Who Concert these days would be more sedate and sensible than back in the day due to the average age of the crowd, the genre and changing times, the sign probably set him off. Not cool to swear but really REALLY not a good idea to bring your kid to any rock concert. A child at something like a Who or Fleetwood Mac or Phil Collins concert is one (stupid) thing but you'd have to have completely lost the plot to bring your child to watch a band like Iron Maiden or Motorhead or Metallica for example.

Tabby Uprising:

--- Quote from: Tilt Fairy on March 05, 2013, 02:23:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: VltGrantham on March 05, 2013, 01:49:48 PM ---http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2013/03/music-news/pete-townshend-apologizes-for-swearing-at-young-fan

--- End quote ---

The sign was in reference to Pete Townshend being a guitar smasher back in his younger partying days when The Who was at their peak. He used to love smashing guitars on stage just like lots of rock gods used to enjoy doing. However he's older now and has his younger days all behind him and has often said how embarrassed and sheepish he now is about the silly things he used to do in his prime like smashing guitars and trashing rooms and equipment. Him, the rest of the band and a generation of our parents who were Who fans and made up the crowd are all older and mature now. Added to that that a Who Concert these days would be more sedate and sensible than back in the day due to the average age of the crowd, the genre and changing times, the sign probably set him off. Not cool to swear but really REALLY not a good idea to bring your kid to any rock concert. A child at something like a Who or Fleetwood Mac or Phil Collins concert is one (stupid) thing but you'd have to have completely lost the plot to bring your child to watch a band like Iron Maiden or Motorhead or Metallica for example.

--- End quote ---

Why is it stupid?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version