Author Topic: Pete Townshend apologizes for swearing at young fan...  (Read 6634 times)

VltGrantham

Re: Pete Townshend apologizes for swearing at young fan...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
Never saw anyone getting cranky about it, and I'm pretty sure the Twins didn't modify their act any, but it always made me wonder.

Obviously parents in AZ have better sense than most in our area or, at the very least, visiting our area.

However, there is a place we go to every year that is peppered with over 15 signs, public announcements, program announcements (including a rating system), and signs at the door saying "this show is not recommended for children."  Yet, every year, parents take their children and become offended.  They flock to Facebook to bash the establishment.  I'm so sick of it, I stop the feed for those months.  Last year, I had a woman in front of me who wanted to take her child through the haunted house, but asked the attendant to walk ahead of us warning the "scare squad" not to jump out and scare her kid.  We had quite the scene when I told her that perhaps if her child couldn't take it, she shouldn't be going through, because we didn't want our experience ruined either.  She remarked that we obviously did not have children to which DH replied "As a matter of fact we do and she is home, where she belongs, because this is not age-appropriate for children."

My point is, is that this is one of the reasons why as a parent you get "the look" wherever you take your children these days that aren't specifically "child-type" places (i.e., Chuck-E-Cheese, kids playground, Gymboree classes); because the ones out there who think society should bend for them all the time, especially at what most people would consider to be "adult-only" events, have basically ruined it for those of us who are responsible.

I am glad that he apologized, but at the same time, I fear this does nothing but encourage others to take offense and that which they shouldn't and use it as fodder to start an international incident over a molehill.

luvmyboys

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
I have to disagree with most of the posters here and I give kudos to Pete T for apologizing.  7 is probably too young but we started taking our son to rock concerts when he was 9.  He is a very talented drummer and loves classic rock music.   He has seen Rush 2x, Bon Jovi and The Who and I just ordered tickets for Fleetwood Mac (can't wait).  Now we would never sit in the Orchestra as we know that that is where people stand and it can get out of hand.  We choose our seats carefully and have special noise cancelling earplugs to protect his hearing.  I have seen several other children at these concerts.  I don't expect anyone to cater to my son but I would be really annoyed if anyone mouthed FU to him.  This Dad used poor judgement but hopefully he learned a lesson about taking appropriate precautions to shield his dd.   

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
My dad took me to rock concerts as a kid (Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc).  I loved it.  So I'm not sure why posters consider it an inappropriate place for children, as long as the venue doesn't have an age limit (for example, there were 19+ shows at some bars he couldn't take me to). 

The difference is, my father fully expected I would be exposed to swearing, adult themes, etc.  I remember when I was 10, the people in front of us offered my dad a joint -- until they noticed me sitting next to him.  We all laughed it off.  No big deal.

I don't think Townsend needed to apologize, but it was likely a smart move.  But at the same time, I don't agree with posters in this thread saying kids can't attend rock concerts.  As long as the kid is well-behaved and the parents don't take issue with the content, I think children can enjoy music just as much as adults.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »
  But at the same time, I don't agree with posters in this thread saying kids can't attend rock concerts.  As long as the kid is well-behaved and the parents don't take issue with the content, I think children can enjoy music just as much as adults.

They can, but for every well behaved kid I've seen at a rock concert, there are over 9000 that was a disaster in the making. Heck, I ended up getting a good pummeling for the well behaved ones because the band invited them near the stage and the little gremlins were getting pummeled by the normal crowd. They were some groovy kids though... they showed up in costume and everything! (Aquabats concert)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

CakeBeret

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:42 PM »
My dad took me to rock concerts as a kid (Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc).  I loved it.  So I'm not sure why posters consider it an inappropriate place for children, as long as the venue doesn't have an age limit (for example, there were 19+ shows at some bars he couldn't take me to). 

The difference is, my father fully expected I would be exposed to swearing, adult themes, etc.  I remember when I was 10, the people in front of us offered my dad a joint -- until they noticed me sitting next to him.  We all laughed it off.  No big deal.

I don't think Townsend needed to apologize, but it was likely a smart move.  But at the same time, I don't agree with posters in this thread saying kids can't attend rock concerts.  As long as the kid is well-behaved and the parents don't take issue with the content, I think children can enjoy music just as much as adults.

I posted above that I wouldn't take a single-digit child to a rock concert. I would start considering it around age 10-12 depending on the band, the venue, and the child. I would wait until my son is older to take him to certain concerts (I'm thinking of the time I saw Stone Sour: there were lots of drugs, lots of moshing, I'd say 70% of the crowd was drunk, and one young lady left in an ambulance), but there are others I've been to where the crowd was pretty mild and respectful of each other. I should clarify that when I go to a rock concert, I stand in the pit; my opinion would be different if we got seats.

I personally wouldn't want my 10 year old watching joints being passed around, which has happened at almost every rock concert I've been to. So that's one strong factor in why I would find it inappropriate for my child.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »

I posted above that I wouldn't take a single-digit child to a rock concert. I would start considering it around age 10-12 depending on the band, the venue, and the child. I would wait until my son is older to take him to certain concerts (I'm thinking of the time I saw Stone Sour: there were lots of drugs, lots of moshing, I'd say 70% of the crowd was drunk, and one young lady left in an ambulance), but there are others I've been to where the crowd was pretty mild and respectful of each other. I should clarify that when I go to a rock concert, I stand in the pit; my opinion would be different if we got seats.

I personally wouldn't want my 10 year old watching joints being passed around, which has happened at almost every rock concert I've been to. So that's one strong factor in why I would find it inappropriate for my child.

That makes sense. The rock concerts I went to as a single-digit kid were all classic rock bands, so it was seating and no mosh pits -- hippies in their 50s were the main audience.  I wouldn't take a kid to a general admission standing concert, simply because of their size.

The joint thing probably depends on your culture/nationality; to me it was along the same lines as alcohol ("We don't do this until we're 19") rather than something a kid shouldn't see.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »

Well you pretty much summed up my point of view  :D   I completely agree with posters who don't think Townsend needed to apologize, but in general I don't see kids at rock concerts as being a stupid parenting decision.  I haven't crossed that bridge with my kid yet and quite frankly, right now a concert is a great excuse for a date night!  I always get seated tickets at concerts so no moshing.  I've never seen any flashing going on either.  Some guy passed my friend and I a joint at a Pink Floyd concert, but we said "no thanks" and that's the extent of my drug experience at concerts.  As for swearing and drinking?  Well, there's a lot of that at sports events too. So for me, the atmosphere I have been exposed to at Tom Petty concerts, The Cure, Fleetwood Mac, and even Pink Floyd isn't so crazy that I'd not bring my child along.  Even Nine Inch Nails was just music and people bopping along to it in the seats.  Maybe I just attract mild mannered people  ;D

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »
Yeah I think there's a massive difference depending on the kind of gig or concert you go to. A Who or Fleetwood Mac or Bruce Springsteen or Eric Clapton or Pink Floyd gig is going to have a completely different atmosphere because of the genre of music and the demographic of the audience.Venues to see bands like this will usually be in bigger concert halls and arenas and will most likely have a lot of seating tickets. A bit like a sporting event. The standing fans near the front of the stage will be enthusiastic but were not exactly talking circle pit here because of the nature/genre of music and fan demographic.

Other huge bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Nirvana, System of a Down, Tool, Slayer, Slipknot, Metallica for example will have completely different atmospheres and fans because of their respective genres. It's rare for them to play in venues where the majority of fans would be seated or they play open air more frequently. But actually, come to think of it, from memory of going to some of the aboves gig, they've all been 18+ anyway (or at least 16+). Taking a 7 year old to one of these and they'd end up crushed. Literally.

I do however think in this instance a 7 year old is too young to take to a Who concert. Massive difference between an eleven year old than a seven year old. As the dad did choose to take her, he should have some realistic expectation of what a child might be exposed to or witness at any rock concert whether it be substances, pushing and shoving, noise or colourful language.

VltGrantham

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
I have to disagree with most of the posters here and I give kudos to Pete T for apologizing.  7 is probably too young but we started taking our son to rock concerts when he was 9.  He is a very talented drummer and loves classic rock music.   He has seen Rush 2x, Bon Jovi and The Who and I just ordered tickets for Fleetwood Mac (can't wait).  Now we would never sit in the Orchestra as we know that that is where people stand and it can get out of hand.  We choose our seats carefully and have special noise cancelling earplugs to protect his hearing.  I have seen several other children at these concerts.  I don't expect anyone to cater to my son but I would be really annoyed if anyone mouthed FU to him.  This Dad used poor judgement but hopefully he learned a lesson about taking appropriate precautions to shield his dd.

I think the point is that he mouthed FU to the Dad here and the daughter caught it because she was seated on Dad's shoulders.  At least he didn't say the words.  His behavior, while definitely not polite, is not exactly unheard of for a rock concert either.  We had parents in droves complaining about a rocker repeatedly dropping the F bomb during a concert here because, well, families were there!  Then don't take your children to a rock concert!

If I were stuck next to a parent at a Fresh Beat Band concert or the Wiggles or something kiddy who was cursing, that would be one thing.  And I'm sorry to say that I still believe that the Dad was using his kid to get attention and then get irritated when the attention wasn't the kind which he desired.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

I'd argue that seeing Rush and Bon Jovi is an entirely different animal.  Bon Jovi, I'd expect kids.  Rush, I expect kids - I see dads and their sons a lot when I go, and they're usually in the same sections I am.  (Usually not moms, which can be fun - only show where there's no line for the ladies' room at intermission!   ;D)  I'd put Fleetwood Mac in this category too.  While people stand up and jam on air guitar, there's no real....what's the word here....bad behavior.

The Who?  I wouldn't expect kids.  I'd expect some bad behavior, at the minimum I'd expect people to be drunk.  Interestingly, I'd expect the same at a Dave Matthews concert.  I've seen them over 15 times, and I would NEVER take a kid.  Too many chances for something to go wrong.  If people want to being their children, I don't have a problem with it, but know what the heck you're getting into.

(I'd argue the same for NASCAR races.  If you go, there will be drinking, there will be swearing, and there will be yelling.  Get used to it.)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
What, exactly, did the dad do to warrant Pete Townsend saying that to him?  He had a sign, he was asked to put it away.  Did he refuse, or start waving it madly around to be a jerk? 

I am an adult, and I would not like it one bit if a performer that I had paid good money to see had spoken (or mouthed) that way to me. 

You're a big rock star, but that doesn't give you the right to be a complete jerk to your fans.  I'm glad he apologized, but IMO, he should have apologized for being crass and rude to a fan, regardless of that fan's age.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
What, exactly, did the dad do to warrant Pete Townsend saying that to him?  He had a sign, he was asked to put it away.  Did he refuse, or start waving it madly around to be a jerk? 

I am an adult, and I would not like it one bit if a performer that I had paid good money to see had spoken (or mouthed) that way to me. 

You're a big rock star, but that doesn't give you the right to be a complete jerk to your fans.  I'm glad he apologized, but IMO, he should have apologized for being crass and rude to a fan, regardless of that fan's age.

I know absolutely nothing about Pete Townsend, but I am wondering if the fact that he doesn't smash guitars any more is something he considers common knowledge.  Is it something he says a lot in public or on some kind of fan page or such a thing?  It's even possible he's said directly that anyone holding a sign asking him to do that will be called out on it. 

If it is the case that not many people know about this, then he couldn't expect that anyone would know it in advance and should have said politely, "Sorry, not going to do that" or such.  It wouldn't have warrented anger.  But if he's been saying it and saying it and for a long time...well, maybe it could be considered that the Dad was warned in advance and chose not to heed the warning.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »

I know absolutely nothing about Pete Townsend, but I am wondering if the fact that he doesn't smash guitars any more is something he considers common knowledge.  Is it something he says a lot in public or on some kind of fan page or such a thing?  It's even possible he's said directly that anyone holding a sign asking him to do that will be called out on it. 

If it is the case that not many people know about this, then he couldn't expect that anyone would know it in advance and should have said politely, "Sorry, not going to do that" or such.  It wouldn't have warrented anger.  But if he's been saying it and saying it and for a long time...well, maybe it could be considered that the Dad was warned in advance and chose not to heed the warning.

Good point. I guess it was quite a provocative sign for him considering he has a lot of regrets about his past. I'm sort of 50/50 whether the Dad was unaware that Pete wouldn't find it amusing if he saw the sign or whether the Dad was deliberately being provocative/attempting to be funny/nostalgic/defiant by making the sign (probably most likely). Regardless, I reckon he thought it would be "cuter" if his 7 year old daughter was holding the sign. Like a 7 year old would know anything about the past or background of The Who let alone anything about Pete Townsend! I think the Dad was not cool regarding any of this.

VltGrantham

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
I've watched the video about half a dozen times and it seems like he is saying "Don't bring your children down here." and that the man persisted--at which point he says "There's something I'd like to say to you, but can't because you've a child with you."

(That's paraphrasing.)

I can agree that I wouldn't be happy if a performer I paid to see told me that.  However, I still think there's mitigating circumstances here and that his reaction was not an over-reaction.  He didn't go crazy or scream and he clearly told the guy "don't bring your children down here."

The Dad claims he spoke to his daughter that way when he didn't.  He spoke to the Father--which is wrong--but I still think it's idiotic to take your child to a rock concert and expect everything to be for their hearing.  I'm not familiar with the Who's music, but a quick Google check brought me several of their songs and their meanings.

I find it just a little bit bemusing that your child hearing the F bomb is so awful, but apparently exposing them to songs like "A Quick One While He's Away" about an extra-marital affair, teen-age wasteland, sex, or drug use is okey-dokey.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

I started going to concerts when I was 11 - my biomom was a major wild hippie chick and loved live music.  She drug me to Doobie Bros, Bad Company & ZZ Top.  On the other hand I am a huge country fan so I drug her to Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard & Moe Bandy.  I wouldn't do that with my kids but at that point in my life it was just the two of us (briefly) and this is what we wanted to do.  After she remarried he wouldn't let her go anywhere and that was basically the end of her concert attendance. 

I was raised by my very dysfunctional grandparents until I was 11 and I saw some things most adults never see.  I rarely drink and do not do any recreational drugs - but I've seen tons of that stuff!  It's just not my thing and never has been but I've seen it all.

A 7 year old - not appropriate in my opinion.