General Etiquette > Family and Children

Please help me draft an email to the Principal

(1/12) > >>

JenJay:
It's actually a busing issue but I don't have any contact info for them, so I thought the Principal would be the next best thing. I'm suffering from a head-cold and a moderate case of "Angry Momma Bear" right now so I thought I should run this by you all before I send it. Please edit as needed.

Mr. Principal,

I'm contacting your regarding the bus driver that subbed for UsualDriver on the afternoon of March 5th. I became concerned when my sons, DS11 and DS9, were more than 20 minutes late getting home after school. When I met them at the stop they explained that they had a new driver who didn't know the route and had not only showed up to the school late (apparently they were the last kids to be picked up) but took much longer than usual to drive the route. I understand that sometimes last minute subs need to be brought in and they won't necessarily be familiar with the routes. I have copied down the number for the bus barn and if there is ever another instance of the bus being more than 10 minutes late I will call them, that is not a problem.

There is a problem, however, with the way the substitute driver spoke to DS11. As I said the driver was not familiar with the route and apparently she asked him to sit up front and give her directions. He said there were a few times he accidentally gave her a wrong direction and she yelled at him. DS9 confirmed that her tone was "really mean" and she was yelling. At one point DS11 told her to take a turn too early or late and she yelled "You need to get your directions straight!". Another time she asked him, as she turned down a road where there is one stop, if she was supposed to turn around at the end of that road. She hadn't yet let the kids that live on that road off so he told her no (he thought she was asking if she should turn around immediately) and then, after she let the kids off, she asked if she should continue straight. At this time DS11 told her "No, now you turn around." and she yelled at him again, saying "I asked you if I was supposed to turn around on this road! Why did you tell me not to and now you're telling me to turn around!" Finally, as she was heading away from that stop, she asked if she was supposed to continue straight. When DS11 told her yes she mocked him, asking repeatedly "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?"

The driver's attitude is completely unacceptable to me. I understand that a substitute may occasionally need help from the older kids, the boys said the sub they had on the morning drive needed help, too, but he was very nice and patient. DS11 was upset when he got home. He felt it was partly his fault that they were so late because he'd given the driver bad directions and mad her angry. I don't know who else to contact about this matter so I thought it best to bring it to your attention and ask that you look into it.

Thank you,
Jen
(I'll use my full name)

LadyL:
Your version is long and somewhat confusing because of too much detail. Here's a pared down version.

--- Quote from: JenJay on March 05, 2013, 05:47:33 PM ---It's actually a busing issue but I don't have any contact info for them, so I thought the Principal would be the next best thing. I'm suffering from a head-cold and a moderate case of "Angry Momma Bear" right now so I thought I should run this by you all before I send it. Please edit as needed.

Mr. Principal,

I'm contacting your regarding the bus driver that subbed for UsualDriver on the afternoon of March 5th. My children were late coming home from school because they had a new driver who didn't know the route. This driver asked my 11 year old son to sit up front and give her directions. Since obviously he does not drive, he struggled to give her the type of directions she needed, which prompted her to raise her voice at him, saying things such as  "You need to get your directions straight!" After he gave her a set of directions, she replied in a mocking tone and repeated "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?"

The driver's attitude is completely unacceptable to me. <insert what you want done here>

Thank you,
Jen
(I'll use my full name)

--- End quote ---

Roo:
Original version is simply far too long:

Dear Principal,

I'm aware this is likely out of your wheelhouse, but I lack the contact information for the transportation department and wish to make a complaint regarding the substitute driver for my childrenís bus route, normally handled by [regular driverís name and route/address/some sort of identifying info, because the principal will have exactly zero idea who you are talking about], on the afternoon of 3/5/13.

The driver seemed completely unfamiliar with the route and relied far too much on my older son for directions. She lost her temper several times in the duration of their conversation, raised her voice, and spoke to my child in a manner I find unacceptable. [examples here, if you really want]

I would like some clarification regarding the policies for substitute drivers; surely they have the directions for the route and all pertinent information regarding the passengers readily available? Or the ability to communicate via radio to another adult in the transportation department? Iím very uncomfortable with the notion of my childrenís bus driver relying on children to navigate.

Thank you for your time and attention, etc.

JenJay:
Thanks, I figured it was too long (I'd already deleted an entire paragraph! LOL) but you know how it is when you're mad and you want to get it all out there. I'll do some paring.

oceanus:
Mr. Principal,

I'm contacting your you regarding the bus driver that who subbed for UsualDriver on the afternoon of March 5th. My children were <20 minutes>late coming home from school because they had a new driver who didn't know the route. This driver asked my 11 year old son to sit up front and give her directions. Since obviously he does not drive, He struggled to give her the type of directions she needed, which prompted her to raise her voice at him, saying things such as  "You need to get your directions straight!" After he gave her a set of directions, she replied in a mocking tone and repeated "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?"

The driver's attitude is completely unacceptable to me. <insert what you want done >

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version