General Etiquette > Family and Children

Please help me draft an email to the Principal

<< < (2/12) > >>

JenJay:

--- Quote from: oceanus on March 05, 2013, 06:18:34 PM ---Mr. Principal,

I'm contacting your you regarding the bus driver that who subbed for UsualDriver on the afternoon of March 5th. My children were <20 minutes>late coming home from school because they had a new driver who didn't know the route. This driver asked my 11 year old son to sit up front and give her directions. Since obviously he does not drive, He struggled to give her the type of directions she needed, which prompted her to raise her voice at him, saying things such as  "You need to get your directions straight!" After he gave her a set of directions, she replied in a mocking tone and repeated "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?"

The driver's attitude is completely unacceptable to me. <insert what you want done >

--- End quote ---

Oh thank you for catching those errors! I've used these suggestions and some from a friend, how does this sound? It is important to me that he understand that my son was upset, felt responsible for their lateness, and felt the driver was mad at him personally for the directions so I've tried to get that across.

Mr. <Principal>,

I'm contacting you regarding the bus driver who subbed for <Driver's Name and route #> on the afternoon of March 5th. My sons, DS11 and DS9, were more than 20 minutes late getting home after school. The driver was not familiar with the route and asked DS11 to sit up front and give her directions. He struggled to give her the type of directions she needed, which prompted her to raise her voice at him, saying angrily "You need to get your directions straight!" After he gave her another set of directions she replied in a mocking tone "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?" He was upset when he got home and felt responsible for how late they were.

The driver's demeanor toward my child is unacceptable. Iím also very uncomfortable with the bus drivers relying on children to navigate; surely they have directions for the route and all pertinent information regarding the passengers readily available, or the ability to communicate via radio to another adult in the transportation department? I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Thank you,
Me

oceanus:

--- Quote from: JenJay on March 05, 2013, 06:29:26 PM ---

I'm contacting your you regarding the bus driver that who subbed for UsualDriver on the afternoon of March 5th. My children were <20 minutes>late coming home from school because they had a new driver who didn't know the route. This driver asked my 11 year old son to sit up front and give her directions. Since obviously he does not drive, He struggled to give her the type of directions she needed, which prompted her to raise her voice at him, saying things such as  "You need to get your directions straight!" After he gave her a set of directions, she replied in a mocking tone and repeated "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?"

The driver's attitude is completely unacceptable to me. <insert what you want done >

--- End quote ---

Oh thank you for catching those errors! I've used these suggestions and some from a friend, how does this sound? It is important to me that he understand that my son was upset, felt responsible for their lateness, and felt the driver was mad at him personally for the directions so I've tried to get that across.

Mr. <Principal>,

I'm contacting you regarding the bus driver who subbed for <Driver's Name and route #> on the afternoon of March 5th. My sons, DS11 and DS9, were more than 20 minutes late getting home after school. The driver was not familiar with the route and asked DS11 to sit up front and give her directions. He struggled to give her the type of directions she needed, which prompted her to raise her voice at him, saying angrily "You need to get your directions straight!" After he gave her another set of directions she replied in a mocking tone "Are you sure? I asked you before if I was supposed to go straight and you said I was but you were wrong! Are you sure I go straight this time?" He was upset when he got home and felt responsible for how late they were.

The driver's demeanor toward my child is unacceptable. My son was upset, felt responsible for their lateness, and felt the driver was mad at him personally.  Iím also very uncomfortable with the bus drivers relying on children to navigate; surely they have directions for the route and all pertinent information regarding the passengers readily available, or the ability to communicate via radio to another adult in the transportation department? I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Thank you,
Me

--- End quote ---

JenJay:

--- Quote from: oceanus on March 05, 2013, 06:35:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: JenJay on March 05, 2013, 06:29:26 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Mr. <Principal>,

The driver's demeanor toward my child is unacceptable. My son was upset, felt responsible for their lateness, and felt the driver was mad at him personally.  Iím also very uncomfortable with the bus drivers relying on children to navigate; surely they have directions for the route and all pertinent information regarding the passengers readily available, or the ability to communicate via radio to another adult in the transportation department? I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Thank you,
Me

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Perfect, thank you!

*inviteseller:
As a veteran of school bus issues I feel your pain, but I would cut it down a bit :

Dear Principal,
     Today my sons (names) had a substitute bus driver for the afternoon (bus number).  While this is not a problem, the bus was 20 minutes later than normal due to the driver not knowing the route.  She requested my older son sit in the front and give directions, and while he tried his best, this is not something he is used to doing and had trouble.  The driver then got frustrated and angry with my son which upset him unnecessarily.   I would like this to be addressed immediately as no student should be responsible for the driver not knowing a route and berating a child.  I would appreciate a call from either yourself or head of transportation within the next day to discuss further details of the conversation between the driver and my son and what will be done to make sure this never happens again.
Your name
Your phone number

Even if this is a substitute, they should still be either given written directions to follow or should have called the transportation department when she was having trouble. 

kckgirl:
I like *inviteseller's version. Can you go on the school district web site to find contact information for the transportation department? If you can, that would avoid the delay that will happen when you address it with the principal, who really won't have any recourse but to turn it over to the transportation people anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version