Author Topic: Facecloths in hotels, etc.  (Read 5673 times)

Debbie506

Facecloths in hotels, etc.
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
I posted some travel tips on Take a Coffee Break- DD Trip to France.  One of the tips was that many European hotels consider facecloths "personal items" and don't provide them- you are expected to bring your own.  (This is changing quite rapidly, I think, especially if you are a higher-end traveller likely to be visiting from North America, but is certainly still the case for many budget places, where I tend to end up.)

I recently returned from Peru and Bolivia, and I can attest that nary a facecloth was seen (which I hadn't anticipated, sigh).

Facecloths in hotels, B & Bs, etc. in Canada and the USA are standard/expected.  Is this really so unusual?  What's the expectation in other places around the world?  BYO or supplied as a matter of course?

(PS- my tip for Europe - and now I guess Peru & Bolivia  - was to bring a couple of dollar store facecloths and some zip-lock bags to keep the damp ones in, and just discard them after a couple of days.)

Awestruck Shmuck

Re: Facecloths in hotels, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
Here in Australia, I've seen them in every hotel/motel/guest house and b & b I've ever stayed in.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
We have stayed at hotels in England, Scotland, Italy and Spain the only place where face cloths  (flannels) were not provided was the Novotel in Southampton.  Thank the deity there was a nice, big Boots just across the road.   

Bluenomi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
Here in Australia, I've seen them in every hotel/motel/guest house and b & b I've ever stayed in.

Yup, I agree with that.

I recall finding them in places I've stayed in the UK as well. Same with South East Asia and the pacific.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
If you go to the large American chain hotels, you may find a face cloth. Otherwise, don't count on it as we just don't use them.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »
If you go to the large American chain hotels, you may find a face cloth. Otherwise, don't count on it as we just don't use them.

Really?  What do you use instead? 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »

Are you referring to American chains in the US/Canada or American chains in other countries?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
Is a face cloth different from a small towel? I'm picturing the small towels you might use after washing your face, but someone called them flannels which made me think they might be a different item. The ones I'm picturing are terrycloth.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »

Are you referring to American chains in the US/Canada or American chains in other countries?

Sorry! I meant down here, in Brazil. I had that information in the first version of the post but I somehow edited it out.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
Are you referring to what Americans call wash cloths? Or hand towels maybe? I'm unclear on what we're talking about.

Ah, I just looked it up and you mean washcloths. 

I don't remember seeing washcloths in England, Ireland, Mexico, or Central America. I know we saw them in Canada and I've always seen them in every hotel/motel in the U.S. Even the cheep ones.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:36:29 AM by Judah »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »

I use a regular towel to dry my face and I use a loofah in the shower.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

The hand towel is used if you are washing your face at the sink, the bath towel after a bath.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »

The hand towel is used if you are washing your face at the sink, the bath towel after a bath.

This is what I do too--I was thinking maybe a hand towel is called a facecloth in other locations? Don't know.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »

This is what I do too--I was thinking maybe a hand towel is called a facecloth in other locations? Don't know.

The explanation I was told is that a face cloth or wash cloth is used to wash the face (duh!) - you wet it, squirt the face wash on it and use to spread the suds on the face. Rinse it, use it to remove most of the suds, splash water on face to remove any last bits of face wash.

I wet my face, squirt facial wash on my hands, rub them together to make suds, spread suds on face. Rinse off with cupped hands.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:03:29 AM by lady_disdain »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »

The explanation I was told is that a face cloth or wash cloth is used to wash the dace (duh!) - you wet it, squirt the face wash on it and use to spread the suds on the face. Rinse it, use it to remove most of the suds, splash water on face to remove any last bits of face wash.

I wet my face, squirt facial wash on my hands, rub them together to make suds, spread suds on face. Rinse off with cupped hands.

Oh! Gotcha. Yeah, I do it the hand-suds way too.