Author Topic: Facecloths in hotels, etc.  (Read 5942 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Facecloths in hotels, etc.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
I travel extensively in Europe, and I was about to say that I'd seldom seen them anywhere... then I realized that the truth is more that I've seldom noticed them anywhere. I never use facecloths myself, so it's not something I pay attention to :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
Yeah I hardly ever use a face cloth/wash cloth.  To be honest I find if I am using them its more for wiping water off the counter or cleaning up a spill, etc. I might use one to do a quick wash up of my body (dampen it and wipe off my armpits and privates) if a shower isn't feasible for some reason. I wouldn't use one, especially a hotel one, to wash my face, although occasionally at home I might use one to wipe off a facial mask, before using my hands to rinse, just because a mask is thick and its easier to get that first initial thick layer off via wiping it with a wet cloth. I therefore hardly notice if hotels have them or not.

baritone108

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
They were not available in any of the hotels we went to in Germany, Switzerland & France whether in a US chain hotel or not.  We asked about them when we first arrived in Germany and the people at the desk didn't know what we were talking about.  We did find them in a German department store and bought some to take with us as we travelled.

Library Dragon

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 02:07:41 AM »
Washcloth/facecloth are squares, generally made of terry cloth.  I've rarely seen them in Europe and always take a few.  I buy an inexpensive bundle for trips and leave them behind.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 05:51:10 AM »
My father was kicking himself last summer for not bringing any to Italy as he apparently likes to get his face clean after shaving by using a washcloth. I never use them so I never noticed my room didn't have one til he mentioned it.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
Even if a hotel provide one, I don't use them because I'm a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to my face  :P.  I bring my own. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:45 AM »
I usually use my own, not because of germs, but the harsh detergent used at hotels.  I've had my legs breakout in rashes from detergents.  In order to avoid the leper look I dont use hotel washcloths on my face. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »
Washcloth/facecloth are squares, generally made of terry cloth.  I've rarely seen them in Europe and always take a few.  I buy an inexpensive bundle for trips and leave them behind.

OK, then I think they are similar to the washcloths I know. The word flannel threw me off! Flannel over here is this super-soft fabric that comfy shirts are sometimes made out of, not nubby like terrycloth.

jmarvellous

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
We don't use washcloths for face washing in our house, either -- we have them for housecleaning, guest use, and miscellaneous mopping up. We might use them at a hotel in lieu of a scrubby mesh sponge that we use at home, but we're just as likely to use the soap bar or liquid straight.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
Mr. Thipu uses wash cloths in the shower and after he shaves.

I prefer the nylon mesh puffs.  They soap up well,  rinse out quickly, dry in a flash and feel good on the skin.  They're also cheap and easy to pack. 

I'm sorry if the term 'flannel' was misleading. I thought this was a UK term for 'wash cloth'.  It may be an old-fashioned term. 

sunnygirl

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:21 PM »
Flannel is the UK name for face cloth - a very small square of either thin terrycloth or sometimes muslin, used to wash (not dry!) one's face. They are very common in the UK. I've seen them in some hotels here.

When I was in China recently I noticed all the hotels provided them too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:39:52 PM by sunnygirl »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »
I suppose I should really know this from 80s music. "...a flannel for my face...pajamas, a hairbrush, new shoes and a case..."  ;D

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
I'm in Canada.  I use facecloths/washcloths (the terms are interchangable) to wash my face -- some people use loofahs or their hands.

I've run into a lack of facecloths once or twice at a hotel: once here in Canada, and once in Iceland (Iceland is the only country I've been to outside North America).  Both times I was very confused as I didn't realize not every hotel would supply them.  I wound up taking a hand towel in the shower with me  :) 

Snooks

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
There was one in the UK hotel I stayed in this week.

Margo

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
I would say 'flannel' (I'm from the UK) but would know what you meant if you said wash cloth or face cloth.
I think fewer people use them now  maybe because people are more likely to have showers than have a (not very deep) bath or wash in a basin.
I've sytayed in hotels in the states where they weren't provided, and some in the UK and europe where they were and some where they weren't, so I hadn't thought of it being a USA / UK / Europe divide
(Incidentally, we also have 'flannel' as a fabric as in  'flannel shirts)