Author Topic: Facecloths in hotels, etc.  (Read 5092 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Facecloths in hotels, etc.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
My family said "washcloth," and yes, I expect them to be available at hotels. Thanks for the warning, though (about them not being available everywhere).

Snowy Owl

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
I would say 'flannel' (I'm from the UK) but would know what you meant if you said wash cloth or face cloth.
I think fewer people use them now  maybe because people are more likely to have showers than have a (not very deep) bath or wash in a basin.
I've sytayed in hotels in the states where they weren't provided, and some in the UK and europe where they were and some where they weren't, so I hadn't thought of it being a USA / UK / Europe divide
(Incidentally, we also have 'flannel' as a fabric as in  'flannel shirts)

In my experience in the UK it depends on how upmarket the place it is.  More upmarket equals more towels and flannels and better quality towels.  If you stay in a less expensive property things are less plush.  Obviously I may be wrong but that's how I've found things. 

I don't tend to use them so I don't always notice whether they're there or not but thinking about it that's been my experience. 
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
Thank you for the information. I will be sure to pack them when we travel outside the states or cruising.

PitBullMom

• Punish the deed, not the breed!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
I live in the US. Four years ago, none of the B&B's we stayed at in Ireland had washcloths. I wish I had known because that's exactly what I use to clean myself in the shower.

We just got back from a 7 night stay in Ireland last week and half of the B&B's had washcloths available. Incidentally, the ones that did have washcloths were either run by an American or by people who have traveled extensively to the States. I'm wondering if this is going to be a new trend in Ireland. I may see more in a few years when I go back.
~PitBullMom

Don't breed or buy while homeless pets die.  Adopt your soul pet at your local animal shelter.

K_Bear

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
Was just in Dublin for a week. The guesthouse (like a small hotel, but cozy and friendly like a B&B) did not provide washcloths. I don't use them, so no big deal.

I think the high end hotel in London did have them, but I wasn't looking for them. I was too in love with the over-sized bath towels(sheets). These things where huge! And soooo fluffy.

Cricket

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 04:21:36 AM »
Just to throw another name in the mix, our family call them face washers, though I know what someone means if the say face cloth/flannel or wash cloth. Still common in hotels here in Australia.

My 9 y.o son uses them to wipe his face in the shower if he happens to get shampoo in his eyes, I use one to quickly wipe over my arms, legs, back and front to get off most of the water droplets. It only takes 15 seconds and saves the bath towel from getting too wet. In winter, towels take way too long to dry in my bathroom.

Cleargleam

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »
I have only once stayed at a cheap enough hotel in the US that bath linens were not provided; I admit, I was somewhat appalled.

I lived in England for three years, and traveled quite a bit on the continent; I never noticed that any item I was expecting was missing.   

That said, I do not generally use the wash cloth at hotels (I do not think of it as a *face* cloth particularly), although I might use it to *dry* my face; especially when traveling I use pre-soaped cloths (Oil of Olay is my favorite brand) to wash my face (and, if camping, for a sponge bath).  In the shower, I generally use mesh gloves. 

I do keep pre-soaped cloths and clean wash cloths in my travel kit and in my emergency kit, though.  I hate having a dirty face and/or dirty hands, and sometimes need to be able to clean my face and hands while traveling (like when I stop from a long drive at a restaurant), and I *loathe* the feeling of paper towel on my face only a little more than the feeling of my face air-drying. 

The towel I miss when traveling is the hair towel.  That unique size that's big enough (larger than a hand towel!) but not too big (and/or too thick!) to wrap and twist around my hair.  Eventually I will have a few extra and get *those* into my travel kit.  So far, I have managed to forget to bring any. 

Nibsey

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
I live in the US. Four years ago, none of the B&B's we stayed at in Ireland had washcloths. I wish I had known because that's exactly what I use to clean myself in the shower.

We just got back from a 7 night stay in Ireland last week and half of the B&B's had washcloths available. Incidentally, the ones that did have washcloths were either run by an American or by people who have traveled extensively to the States. I'm wondering if this is going to be a new trend in Ireland. I may see more in a few years when I go back.

I doubt it, going by my MIL reaction last weekend. We usually stay in my parents house for the weekend which has personal items that we leave there. SO forgot to bring his facecloth as he's use to having his own at my parents. His mother was aghast when she saw him using mine. She equated it with sharing a toothbrush.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »
Of the 4 hotels we just visited in Spain and Italy, none offered wash clothes. One did have a disposable one.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
I have only stayed in ONE hotel in the USA that didn't have any towels or linens in the bath at all.  The desk clerk apologized and moved me to another room, as housekeeping didn't have any "spare towels" to give me.

Based on the vibes I got from the clientele (loud music of a particular "beat" - possibly to cover other sounds? a very smoky smell in a no smoking room and small burns in the upholstery on the chair and bedspread) - I got the distinct impression that I was in a hotel that was more used to renting rooms by the hour than by the night.....even if it was right off the Interstate in a major city along the Gulf Coast.  The biker couple taking a walk at midnight were perfectly polite & we exchanged greetings - it was the other "guests" that opened & closed the door to the room when they saw anyone in the hall that had me wondering.....

I tend to take a long strip of "loofah cloth" to scrub & exfoliate my back - it was the lack of towels, not washcloths that had me not wanting to stay there, ever again.  That and the cigarette burns everywhere....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
I'm reminded of the time I had a friend from New Zealand staying over. I handed her towels and she asked for a facecloth. I had to inform her that I didn't own a single one...  They just aren't used very much here.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
I use wash cloths - or I use a loofah, a net scrubber, or something to get some exfoliation going - especially on elbows, knees, and my back.

VorGuy doesn't use a wash cloth at all.  Just differences in how our families handled bathing, I suppose.  Either that or his family lived in higher humidity areas some of the time he was growing up and his mother didn't like the way that they smelled....

I grew up in dry West Texas and the Panhandle area - even a towel dropped on the floor would dry before it started to smell - as long as the bather did use soap & water before they used the towel (my little brothers got inspected to make sure that they'd used soap & water at certain ages - as they had a tendency to run under the shower and wipe off the damp dirt.....).

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 05:51:24 AM »
I don't use wash cloths all that much either.  I do find them handy for face drying or wiping dust of sandal-shod feet before showering but that's about it. 

For a shower, I prefer a nylon puff.  These things are cheap, easy to clean, and dry quickly.  They also hold soap very well and provide a gentle exfoliation.

Mr. Thipu likes his wash cloths.  He was the one who called my attention to their lack at the Novotel. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
I don't use wash cloths all that much either.  I do find them handy for face drying or wiping dust of sandal-shod feet before showering but that's about it. 

For a shower, I prefer a nylon puff.  These things are cheap, easy to clean, and dry quickly.  They also hold soap very well and provide a gentle exfoliation.

Mr. Thipu likes his wash cloths.  He was the one who called my attention to their lack at the Novotel.

My DH and I are opposite.

I have a question that's not trans-Atlantic, but South of the US border.  DH and I are traveling to Puebla, Mexico in the next couple of months.  Does anyone know if non-resort hotels have wash cloths?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
I don't usually use a washcloth/facecloth at home, just what I suppose is called a "loofah" (my mom and I call them "tribbles" after that Star Trek episode).  But sometimes when I'm going to a hotel I'll leave it home and plan on using a washcloth there, so it's really helpful to know that they aren't common in Europe!  I think when we went to Germany, we bought a pack of them at the commissary, but I didn't even remember that until just now.