Author Topic: Opposite of First World Annoyances.. things you are glad you can have  (Read 2760 times)

squeakers

I love my son's wireless headphones.  Sure, they were supposed to be for him so I wouldn't have to hear 38 hours of Youtube series on "how glass is made", "what farts are composed of" and "how to beat Mario (the original)".  But he claims they hurt his head.  So I use them.  I can walk my dogs around my house for potty breaks, take my own potty breaks and do laundry wile listening to netflixed shows (many that I have watched so I can listen over again.. much like my parents did but they were "resting their eyes".

I love my wireless mouse and keyboard because I no longer have to unplug to allow someone to plug in a memory stick to use the printer (which is on my desk).

I can find interesting things to read or even classics at the touch of  button.  Ok, inputting an url. (gutenberg.org for the win!)

These are things my parents would never have had.. and many other people around the world don't have.  But I am grateful for them because.. I do get to have them. They enhance my life.. make my life easier.. and are almost as nice as having a bazillion dollars in the bank.  I don't have that.. but I have these.

What are some of the time savers, luxury, never thought you would have when you were a kid things you have now?
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: Opposite of First World Annoyances.. things you are glad you can have
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »
Smart phones... I love having Google and Wiki right at hand to settle arguments  ;D

I seriously love ample amounts of hot water and flushing toilets... Grew up in a drought ridden area with a cruddy hot water heater, so I will go to great lengths for a hot shower.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

nuit93

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:12:13 AM »
I can store the equivalent of a dozen CD's in my pocket.

Viewing a friend's photo album online is made much more efficient because it doesn't take five minutes to load EACH photo.

Amara

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:38:02 AM »
Never mind. I read the question wrong.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:52:41 AM by Amara »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57:09 AM »
The right as a woman to vote and live by myself and be able to support myself.

My blu-ray player.  I love being able to pop a DVD /blu-ray disc in and watch a Tv Show or movie.

My kindle Fire. How did I live without it?

HoneyBee42

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »
A dishwasher.  A mechanical one, that is (my previous two versions were oldest son and middle son). 

My computer and the internet (I was born in the 60s, I remember a time when no one had a computer in their home and there were only 3.5 stations to watch on TV (.5 for PBS because it wasn't broadcasting all day) and the stations had a sign off time and those fat vertical bars).

I'm sure there's more, but as far as stuff I didn't imagine when I was a kid, those would be the top two.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:45:50 AM »
Having a clothes washer and drier in the apartment. 

My iPad.  This  thing should really come packed in a potato chip bag.  It's that addictive. 

Access to places like Ehell. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Soooo many baby things.  Baby swings, baby bouncers.  The little baby vibrating box that my husband made to soothe my baby.

Our mini-DVD player.  We use it on the long car trips we occasionally take (8-9 hours), and I sometimes put it on in the playroom when I want the kids to watch something but I don't want them to watch it in the living room (we only have one TV).

Our TV.  We have a TV we got a few years ago that is the biggest one I've ever owned.  It's not big by most people's perspective, (36 inches?) but it still feels like a movie theater to me.  :)

Microwaves.  Defrosting, cooking, it's just wonderful.

I'm also grateful that I can buy curricula that lays out the whole program for me, and saves me from endless planning and trips to the library.  I'm also grateful that I live in a country where we can legally homeschool, have local homeschool groups and support, and where it doesn't cost me hundreds of dollars to get books sent to me, the way it does to some of my missionary friends.

Amazon.com.  Need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
Hmmm...there are quite a few things.

I second the Kindle Fire. While I have a laptop, and basic Kindle, I love my Fire. I'm on it all the time, reading, watching videos, playing games. it is the best.

My dishwasher. My first two apts did not have one, and this one does. Now, if I could have my own W/D, I'd be set!

My DVR. And the vast array of channels FIOS offers. I don't even watch half of them, but its nice to know I can usually find something on, esp since I don't watch most network tv. And the DVR is amazing. I can set to record anything and everything, and when there isn't anything on, I have a "stash". And on the same note, On Demand. If I miss or forget to record somethning, voila, there it is.

The Internet. I think back to how I used to find stuff out. PHone calls, resaerch in the library, etc. Now, anytime I want something, and want it NOW, i just go online and there it is.

Coralreef

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Hot and cold water on tap. 
Soap.
Food, plenty and varied.
Remote control everything.
Access to information.
Being able to live alone and own my house/car.

[/right

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
Religious freedom. The ability to worship as I choose (or not!) and to have access to religious literature/houses of worship.
The privilege to drive and own a vehicle. True freedom!
The ability for DS to attend a (excellent) public school.
Educational opportunities, I am pursuing a bachelor's degree at age 44!
Having a job that suits my talents and gives me the opportunity to grow as a professional.
Access to the internet, my home computer, my laptop, iPad, and phone. High-speed internet.
Fresh, minimally processed food.
A kitchen where I can cook and create.
My own washer and dryer! No more foreign hair on my clothes!
A home with two bathrooms, and I share one with DH. (A big deal after growing up in a house of 5 people with one bathroom.)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
The internet, and specifically smartphones. Besides the fact that the company I work for wouldn't exist without them, I can drive anywhere with my Google maps, listen to books through Audible, listen to music from anywhere with a couple of apps, search for info on a point of interest we pass and decide if we want to stop or not, transfer funds on my bank app (and deposit checks there), send pictures to my mom and sister instantly, and get a voice call from my daughter in Qatar for free. All on something I can fit in my pocket, that uses a near universal plug, that has a bright screen that doubles as a flashlight, and is always nearby.

If that's not near-magic, I don't know what is.

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
Indoor plumbing with plenty of hot water
Microwave ovens
Freezers for the things that I heat up in the microwave oven
Dishwashers
Clothes washers and dryers -- no pounding on river rocks for me  :)
This World Wide Internet thing.
The electricity that makes all of the above stuff work

And a more-than-honorable mention for modern antibiotics and vaccines.  No longer is a scratch from a bit of dirty metal a potentially deadly injury.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »
Magicdomino reminded me of a few.

Prescription lenses, because I would walk into anything without them.

Medication to control my asthma so I can have a normal life.

exitzero

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
Whenever people start talking about what they are grateful for, I always mention indoor plumbing and antibiotics.