Author Topic: Opposite of First World Annoyances.. things you are glad you can have  (Read 2633 times)

heartmug

Re: Opposite of First World Annoyances.. things you are glad you can have
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
Caller i.d.  I haven't had to talk to a telemarketer or certain relatives in years.    ;D
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

turtleIScream

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »
Gas furnace. I complain about the house being so cold when I set the thermostat to 70. Then I remind myself I live in Michigan, and it's 20 degrees outside. So nice to have the luxury to heat my house.

Also, attached garage.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
Indoor plumbing is on my list of all time greatest inventions.

But for things that have changed since I was a kid back in the 60s:

Computers are no long room-sized objects. My iPod Touch is a better, faster computer than the very first Mac I bought back in 1987. Faster, more memory, color screen, connects to the internet, plays music. A computer that fits in your pocket. Who'da thunk?

Medical advances. Forty years ago, ultrasounds for pregnant women were not common. And even when they became more usual, you couldn't see much on them. Without ultrasound, my nephew and most likely my DSIL would have died in childbirth when he was born 10 years ago.

Communication. There used to be mail (snail mail) and the telephone. Back in the 1960s, long distance calls were still a big deal. They cost a lot of money. When we lived overseas, my father had to make arrangements days ahead of time so that we could call our grandparents on the holidays. Now you just push a few buttons on your cell phone. And there's email, IM, texting and Face Time.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

GratefulMaria

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
Soap and running water (including indoor plumbing) are timeless favorites!

Epinephrine.

The internet.  For communication, as others have said, but it's also allowed my family to find safe food options for my two allergic sons.

YouTube.  How else could I introduce my sons to The Monkees?

Safer cars.  DH and I are from the early 1960's and were held in our mothers' laps in the car, along with everyone else.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
My tablet, for light weight uses.  I can stash all the books I can fit on it and take them anywhere. :) Also, my old, second gen iPod touch-- even now, when apps are no longer updated for it, it still plays music for me.  I love it.

My digital camera, for nixing time on the development process.  Sure, analog has its place, and I'll use it on occasion (currently, a Pentax and a Ektraten :) ), but for most of my every day uses, it's me and my trusty digital camera.

My computer.  Between reading eHell, removing noise from digital photos above, playing with 3D programs (DAZ, Poser, Bryce and Carrara, and my old lovely, Terragen Classic), checking the news of the world... I couldn't do without it :)

With the computer, the Internet.  All the knowledge of the world, at my fingertips.  It works, since I am a rather curious person. :)

Editeer

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
Whenever people start talking about what they are grateful for, I always mention indoor plumbing and antibiotics.

Me, too, and I add birth control to the list.

On a less serious scale: washer and dryer in the house/apartment. I HATED going to the laundromat.
Heated seats in the car.

snowflake

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
Aspirin
Crockpots
Fresh water
Leap Pads that teach my kids their alphabet and make me look like a great parent which I'm not
All my beauty products that I probably don't need (in an real sense, I'm not saying I'm gorgeous without them.)
Tootsie pops
The fact that my gardening and knitting is a hobby and not a lifestyle
The endless supply of earrings
Access to nearly every printed word in my own language

When I start to think about it, I just live in a magical, wonderful world.  I'm constantly amazed when I think to human history and conditions in other countries how lucky and blessed I am.  I'm amazed that even when I was "poor" I was living so much better than the rest of the world.  I once ate lots of plain rice, shopped at thrift stores, and rode public transit.  That was still a pretty plush life.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
Our grocery stores and the abundance and variety of produce available.

For example, for my parents, an orange was a Christmas treat.  They weren't readily available any other time because of the shipping distances involved.

I tend to stick more to local produce as much as I can but if I want fresh aspargus for my Christmas dinner, I can have it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
Aspirin

When I start to think about it, I just live in a magical, wonderful world.  I'm constantly amazed when I think to human history and conditions in other countries how lucky and blessed I am.  I'm amazed that even when I was "poor" I was living so much better than the rest of the world.  I once ate lots of plain rice, shopped at thrift stores, and rode public transit.  That was still a pretty plush life.

Snowflake, thank you for this. You are so right. I do try to count my blessings on a regular basis and express gratitude for them. When I start to want more stuff - I try to think how much better off I am than 95% of the humans on this planet. I'm educated, live in a country that allows me to worship the way I want, sleep in a warm, comfortable bed every night, have no fear for my safety, have more than enough to eat, a job, my health and a loving family. Life is good.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »

One of the things I've learned in life is to take a minute or five out of every day and put yourself in perspective to the world.  Not only physical size, but material. :) I realize I may not have every video game I've ever wanted, but I am darn lucky even being able to play any sort of video game in this world.  I'm lucky to be born in the States, which, though having its own downfalls, has a high standard of living, including good medical care, easy access to nearly anything that isn't illegal, and a government that, while sometimes a little boneheaded, generally looks after the people who live under it. :)

I'm not super patriotic by any means, but it still occurs to me that I am lucky to be where I am.

I can think of a game I played a few times, called Real Life.  It's a simulation of the world and all its socioeconomic, political, agricultural and cultural conditions.  I've never once started out in a first world country without telling a new game to start me there, and a lot of places are harsh to be in.  I do have a lot of fun with it, too, and wonder what it's like if I manage to emigrate to South Africa or India from my starting location.  Other times, I die before I'm three.  Again, this really helps my perspective in life, and I'd suggest it to anyone.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
The fresh green grapes I just ate: I'm in New York City and it's March.

Lots of other out-of-season produce as well: I have a box of salad greens, and fresh yellow and red peppers, along with the apples, ginger root, onions, and carrots, which can be stored a lot longer. Come to think of it, those apples are fresher now, with modern storage techniques, than they would have been using the storage techniques of a century ago.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »
I'm glad to have rubber spatulas.

And I love the scoopable litter I have for our new kitty--combine those with doggie-poop bags, and the litter box has never been so easy!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:36 PM »
My big soft enormous bed.

My smartphone which allows me to endlessly check Facebook and play solitaire.

Octavia

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 07:09:43 AM »
My Roomba robotic vacuum. I enjoy returning home from work to see that all of the crumbs I left on the floor from the morning rush are gone, and the vacuum has parked itself in its charging station. Brilliant  ;D
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

rachellenore

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »
-Indoor plumbing.
-Not being my husband's property in the eyes of the law.
-The fact that I can get organs inside my head removed and not die from it (adenoidectomies ftw!!)
-The fact that I can Google one or two words from a song stuck in my head and figure out who sang it, where, when, and why.
-Memory foam pillows.