Author Topic: Opposite of First World Annoyances.. things you are glad you can have  (Read 2839 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: Opposite of First World Annoyances.. things you are glad you can have
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
- Indoor plumbing! A second bathroom in my house.
- Electricity, telephone, and internet access.
- A career I love.
- A significant other I love very much, who is so right for me, and whom I can marry when the time is right.
- A gym across the street from my place. A supermarket close by. Various restaurants I enjoy in my city.
- Sight (and eyeglasses), hearing, smell, taste, touch, and all my other lesser known senses, though balance is not my strongest point.
- The ability to walk in public without having to wear clothes that could become a safety hazard, or at the very least impair my mobility and visibility.
I have pet mice!

jane7166

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 05:22:19 PM »
Air conditioning!  I absolutely hate hot weather and cherish the ability to be able to sleep comfortably on hot nights.

My DVR and my iPad.  The DVR so I can watch anything when I want to and the iPad for instant communication and connection to so many resources.

Modern medical advances.  I would be dead without them.  If I managed to live through some medical crises, I would be in horrible pain without some of the newer medications.

More than one bathroom in the house I live in.  I grew up with 7 people, one bathroom.

More than one telephone.  I grew up with one phone in the household.   Now.....

Reika

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
Right now, I'm very grateful for modern medicine (even if I ended up with multiple things to take) having stuff to help with the awful agony of the cold/flu thing I got this week that was making me miserable. Still not 100%, but at least I'm not in agony like I had been.

After that, and in no particular order of importance:
Electricity
Indoor plumbing
Air Conditioning
My computer and its wonderful internet access.
My Kindle 3G
Modern appliances

There's so many amazing things coming out these days, it's hard to keep track of them. :)

MerryCat

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »
Internet!
Being able to to carry hundreds of books in something lighter than a paperback
Not having to haul water every day
Not having to heat said water to bathe
Fruits and veggies all year round. Yes, December tomatoes may be kind of watery and tasteless, but they're there and relatively fresh

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
Everything that's been said so far, but especially modern medicine. I don't think I'd have made it out of childhood without it, but if I had I don't know if I'd have any kids because I needed medical intervention for each pregnancy and/or birth. I'm also grateful for antibiotics; I have terrible sinuses and get sinus infections several times a year so I take them a lot.

Choice. I can choose everything in my life. What school my kids go to, whether or not I will have more children, where to live, what to eat, where to go, what to do with my spare time...it's really amazing how much choice we have.

Internet, of course. Specifically high speed internet. Dial up is better than nothing, but high speed is so much better.

snowdragon

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
clean water to drink

access to a relatively safe food supply

The right to be educated

The right to vote

The right to drive

healthcare, if I need it

Indoor plumbing

central heat

TV

phone

vaccinations

Leafy

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
Airconditioning!! We have just had our hottest summer on record (Perth, Western Australia) and our aircon died on a 42 degree (108 F) day. I have never been so glad to have it as when it was fixed.

Medical and scientific advances. Including vaccines and antibiotics, but for me the most important has been IVF, through which, I have been gifted my beautiful DD (and hope to have another sometime). Hmm, and on that note; epidurals. My 34 hour labour would have been hideous without them.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
White chocolate fudge cake. Mmm.

Gyburc

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
Modern communication methods, specifically the internet and mobile phones - because I remember exactly what it was like without them.

Back in 1994-95, I spent a year in north-eastern Germany as part of my university course. I was in a very small town in the middle of a very poor rural area which had been part of the GDR, so the culture was completely different, and barely anyone spoke English.

It improved my German no end, but it was also a very very lonely experience, because it was so hard to contact people back at home. I had to use a phone belonging to the school or public pay-phones to contact my parents and DH (then DF), and because of the cost, we only spoke weekly at agreed times and then could only make short calls. We sent letters as well, of course, but still.

I've just been teaching some undergraduate students who came back from their year abroad this academic year, and I know that they will all have been able to keep in contact - sometimes instant contact - with all their friends and family whenever they want to, and they will have had a much easier time as a result.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Feminine hygiene products.  I have always been grateful that when I hit puberty, the maxipads with the belts were being phased out.

Heated car seats.  Ahh.

When I went to college, long distance calls were still pricey and I had to limit myself to once a week and an occasional breakdown call when I was trying to study for finals and convinced I would fail.  I appreciate that texting can keep you in instant touch with faraway friends and relatives, and that most people don't have to think twice before calling home.

nuit93

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
Feminine hygiene products.  I have always been grateful that when I hit puberty, the maxipads with the belts were being phased out.

I forgot about those! 

I remember reading "Are You There, God, It's Me, Margaret" and being horribly confused when they talked about belts.  Those were long gone by the time my visitor made her appearance.

snowflake

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
White chocolate fudge cake. Mmm.

Oh yeah, PINTEREST!!!!

My cushy first-world life gets so much better when I make peanut-butter brownies with a pretzel crust.  How else would I have known the best way to store all the scarves I have?  How would I stay sane if I hadn't made magic calm-down boxes for my toddlers?

I suppose I should add running shoes because if I make peanut-butter brownies with a pretzel crust even now and then, I need to stave off the cushy first-world heart disease.

dawnfire

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
  • running water- last winter i went without running water due to a solar water heater breaking and spouting liter and liters of water a minute.
  • my e reader- I can have my favorite books (many which are series which can run 10+ books), audio books,listen to music and even play movies on it
  • my ipod- I can have complete artists collections in a small device

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »

I forgot about those! 

I remember reading "Are You There, God, It's Me, Margaret" and being horribly confused when they talked about belts.  Those were long gone by the time my visitor made her appearance.

You beat me to it! My mum told me about those belt things she had to use when she was young. They sounded ridiculously fiddly! Thank heavens for adhesive pads!

nuit93

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »

I forgot about those! 

You beat me to it! My mum told me about those belt things she had to use when she was young. They sounded ridiculously fiddly! Thank heavens for adhesive pads!

She was pretty happy when those came out too. 

I still have memories of various female family members sitting around drinking wine and talking about their teenage years, including (hidden for talk of female stuff) their first experiences trying tampons.  One of them had apparently forgotten to make sure her sister had the instructions that came with the tampon box, and later said sister complained that they were just so uncomfortable!  Yeah, she'd forgotten to remove the applicator.

Apparently the filters of 40-something moms (and 70-something grandmothers) go right out the door after a few glasses of wine are shared.  But after overhearing that conversation, I never used those products incorrectly!