Author Topic: Fitness inspiration needed  (Read 1816 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Fitness inspiration needed
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
This is a great thread! I'm doing my first 5k mud run this weekend. I'm glad to hear so many positive comments from folks.

JoW

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »
I know what motivates me, and you definately don't want it.

I was badly injured in an automobile accident 30 years ago.  Bones broken as an adult are never really right even after they heal.  I do water aerobics to help control the pain and keep my joints loose.   I feel worse when I'm not exercising enough.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
Well what kind of fitness do you do?  What level are you?

As it happens, I'm above medium fitness in cardio, strength and flexibility, and I'm reasonable at endurance. I'm still very heavy though so if you make me run I'm down and out much sooner than anyone else. My knees are getting better though, so as I get lighter running becomes more of a possibility.

I'm not looking for a personal solution, although I'm happy to talk about it. I really want some inspiration. Hearing about things that other people have done can get me fired up to try something.

Well what kind of fitness do you do?  What level are yoThe warrior Dash and the Tough Mudder I know both have a spirit of 'no one finishes until the last person finishes', so while sure for the very fastest its a race, but for most competitors its simply a goal to finish, and people will take the time to pause and help each other out (even total strangers) and everyone roots everyone else on.

That sounds awesome. I had no idea such things were out there.
How about this...I wish I had stayed fit when it was easy to do.  At my level of crotchityness it is very hard to get back in shape.  Heck, I hardly remember what my shape was!

Seriously, though, have you tried tai chi or Qigong?  I love tai chi.  It makes me feel graceful, limber, agile and like a dancer moving to beautiful music.  I think this could be very motivating. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:38:06 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowdragon

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
I work with a personal trainer. Somehow having someone waiting there for me is motivating. I am also training for a marathon in August of 2014.  To get ready for for it I am doing runs from a 5K to a half marathon in the mean time. My first 5k will be in May...when the color run comes here.

Just because the color sounds like a  hoot

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
Seriously, though, have you tried tai chi or Qigong?  I love tai chi.  It makes me feel graceful, limber, agile and like a dancer moving to beautiful music.  I think this could be very motivating.

I started my fitness journey with tai chi. I just had a lesson today. We keep on with the form (tai chi chuan) but we also do escrima now. I'm still improving my form. Doing the form every day keeps my RSI at bay.

I'm loving the stories here. I have looked at the sprint triathlons, but the wetsuit issue is a real problem for me. You can hire them, but the ones I would need would also fit a man of 6'6". I'm 5'4". Surely that can't be right?

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
I work with a personal trainer. Somehow having someone waiting there for me is motivating. I am also training for a marathon in August of 2014.  To get ready for for it I am doing runs from a 5K to a half marathon in the mean time. My first 5k will be in May...when the color run comes here.

I hope that having a cast on your leg isn't impacting too much on your training :( How are you managing to keep your fitness levels up in the mean time?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »

I started my fitness journey with tai chi. I just had a lesson today. We keep on with the form (tai chi chuan) but we also do escrima now. I'm still improving my form. Doing the form every day keeps my RSI at bay.

I'm loving the stories here. I have looked at the sprint triathlons, but the wetsuit issue is a real problem for me. You can hire them, but the ones I would need would also fit a man of 6'6". I'm 5'4". Surely that can't be right?
I want to do tai chi again for arthritis and balance.  We attend an exercise program at the senior center 3 times a week that is low on impact but helps with strength and balance.  To tell the truth I have never really liked to exercise but try to go because it helps a lot.
I didn't know what escrima is so I looked it up and watched a video.  Wow.  Those sticks really fly.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »

I hope that having a cast on your leg isn't impacting too much on your training :( How are you managing to keep your fitness levels up in the mean time?

I too am confused about the timeline since you were in a full body cast just 2 weeks ago. Considering the circumstances it surprises me that physical therapy isn't required before you train for a marathon.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

snowdragon

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 01:07:04 AM »

I too am confused about the timeline since you were in a full body cast just 2 weeks ago. Considering the circumstances it surprises me that physical therapy isn't required before you train for a marathon.

cass - no I was and am in a thigh to ankle cast - which is much different that a full body cast. My cast is also a plastic molded thing rather than a plaster thing. It can even get wet, unlike the plaster one.  On crutches but that does not mean I can't work out in other ways. The Marathon I said I am training for is in August of 2014  I have approximately 17 months before the Marathon. Most experts say 12 is sufficient time to train for a Marathon.  My personal trainer thinks I need not put it off another year, due to this.

Elessarion - I do strength training now and I can do one legged -leg presses and lots of crunches. I can not run at the moment and I'll be making up time in terms of training for the running part, but I can do other things. training for a 5k takes between 6 to 9 weeks depending on the training plan, if you walk or run it and what your fitness level was like before you started training.  So if I keep in shape in other ways ( and even with the cast I am still doing enough to loose weight. ) I should be able to start working on the running part of it as soon as my health professionals say it's ok. My Dr thinks even the 5k is doable near the end of May.

But thanks for asking.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:11:03 AM by snowdragon »

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
My mistake because I knew it was a full leg cast. I'm assuming you have the okay from your doc but how in the heck do you train without bearing any weight on the leg?

Oops, never mind. Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:22:23 AM by cass2591 »
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

snowdragon

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:27 AM »
My mistake because I knew it was a full leg cast. I'm assuming you have the okay from your doc but how in the heck do you train without bearing any weight on the leg?

Seated on legged leg press, are not the easiest thing, but do able, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaDRMsC8FM  this thing called a "seated rowing machine, I can keep the one leg straight while doing it, crunches ( I need help up and down but I can do them), lat pull downs, with the brace above, but not resting on my legs, dumb bells, and some seated work outs with resistance bands that are attached to poles and other immoveable objects, ect. There's actually a lot you can do, even if you are mobility impaired. It's a matter of working around obstacles rather than giving up.  :) I do nothing with out a Dr's approval and I have authorized my Dr to talk to my trainer if the trainer has any questions about what  I need or can do.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
WHOOT!!!! I did my first ever 5k mud run today, and I am SOOO proud of myself! I made it through the whole course, and I only had to skip one obstacle. I walked more than ran, but I ran a heck of a lot more than I thought I'd be able to. I can't wait to do my next one!

Susiqzer

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
OP, have you tried a little challenge, like the 30 Day Shred or something similar? Something that's a good workout and will show results relatively quickly?

Slightly off topic... I just want to take a moment to point out the first rule of 5Ks for new runners: Never, ever, pick out a person at the beginning of the race and think "well, at least I can beat them!" Particularly if that person is overweight, north of 70 years old, barefoot (!), or pushing a stroller containing triplets. 

Trust me.

Stroller lady has passed me in two different races and I've been trounced by more retirees than I care to think about!  ;D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
WHOOT!!!! I did my first ever 5k mud run today, and I am SOOO proud of myself! I made it through the whole course, and I only had to skip one obstacle. I walked more than ran, but I ran a heck of a lot more than I thought I'd be able to. I can't wait to do my next one!

Huzzah!

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »

That's fabulous! Well done.

OP, have you tried a little challenge, like the 30 Day Shred or something similar? Something that's a good workout and will show results relatively quickly?

I'm not very keen on programs because I have a program already with my personal trainer, plus I keep up with several other sports and they tend to either clash horribly with those or be a quick fix. I'm happy to hear recommendations though.