Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Parents at kids' birthday parties?

<< < (2/10) > >>

Zilla:

I myself stay and help, even at middle school parties. (I offer, they accept)  But when I throw a party, I don't expect parents to offer to stay or help and always plan with a few friends to help and I think the author should have done that.  Or at the very least note on the invitation that to please stay and help supervise their own kid. (I have seen this on many invitations)  It's overly harsh to think it's a way to get free babysitting.

stormwatch:
This is all really interesting. I guess it's a good reminder, for me at least, that people's perspectives are often different.  When my oldest son turned four, he had a party at our house (his first birthday party), for four of his friends, and all of the parents dropped off their kids, made sure I had phone numbers, and left. And that is absolutely what I expected them to do. He's a teenager now, and every party either kid has had or has been to has been drop-off.  I think a couple of invites have noted that parents are "welcome" to stay, but I never interpreted that to mean, "Please do because we could use the help."  I would never expect someone to ask if they can leave, but I probably would expect them to ask if they could stay.  Honestly, it's never even occurred to me that some people have exactly the opposite perspective!

I feel like I've learned something!

MariaE:

--- Quote from: SiotehCat on March 06, 2013, 11:42:47 AM ---Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I have never had or been to a childs birthday party where the parents just left their children. It wasn't until I started reading here on Ehell that I heard about parties without parents sticking around.

--- End quote ---

On the other hand, I've never had or been to a child's birthday party where the parents hung around. It wasn't until I started reading here on Ehell that I heard about parties with parents sticking around.

Yvaine:
Trying to remember my own childhood correctly--I think that parents usually left if it was someone's house (likely because space and food were limited), and they usually stayed if it was at the roller rink or Chuck E's or something (probably because there was space for them and they could buy themselves food). I do have a memory of my mom tagging along and bringing all of us uninvited kids to some party my younger sister was invited to. It was at someone's house, it was small, no one else brought their parents, and it was terribly awkward.

Betelnut:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on March 06, 2013, 12:04:04 PM ---Trying to remember my own childhood correctly--I think that parents usually left if it was someone's house (likely because space and food were limited), and they usually stayed if it was at the roller rink or Chuck E's or something (probably because there was space for them and they could buy themselves food). I do have a memory of my mom tagging along and bringing all of us uninvited kids to some party my younger sister was invited to. It was at someone's house, it was small, no one else brought their parents, and it was terribly awkward.

--- End quote ---

This is my take on it for my 6--about to turn 7--year-old.  Public places are too chaotic to expect a person to supervise 10-15 kids, so I stick around.  A party at a house is more informal and easier to supervise.  I drop and leave in those cases (when my daughter hit 1st grade).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version