Author Topic: Favorite State and Federal Parks in the US  (Read 1690 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Favorite State and Federal Parks in the US
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »
Amicalola State Park in Georgia

Amicalola Falls

That is gorgeous! I love waterfalls. Actually I just love natural bodies of water. Streams, rivers, lakes, oceans, ponds, whatever. :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
http://www.stateparks.com/new_york_parks_and_recreation_destinations.html

I grew up in New York State, and spent many happy hours camping around when I was younger.  New York State Parks are some very beautiful parks.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
Acadia National Park is another one I enjoyed.  I want to get back there soon

Has anyone been to Shiloh?

I have!   One of my ancestors was killed there, but apparently after the war he was reburied in Ohio.  I found the monument to his unit.

As for me:

Kelley's Island (the glacial grooves)
Pinnacle Mountain SP, Arkansas (I can see it from my apartment driveway)
Devil's Tower (as in Close Encounters)
Badlands
Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO
And if you're in southern Ontario, the Petroglyphs Provincial Park near Tweed

The Black Hills and Catoctin are beautiful but not on my favorites.  That's only because I have spent six weeks (Black Hills) and three days (Catoctin) climing around looking at the rocks themselves or lurching up a very large hill or four.  But, I've been to both just as a tourist, and can vouch they are very worthwhile (and stop at Wall Drug :)).

ETA: Those were separate trips, being they're in the opposite direction ;).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:54:27 PM by guihong »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
Amicalola State Park in Georgia

Amicalola Falls

That is gorgeous! I love waterfalls. Actually I just love natural bodies of water. Streams, rivers, lakes, oceans, ponds, whatever. :)

Thank you. That day was a great one, and visiting that park helped us decide where we want to retire! We also saw our first shrew at that park.

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
And locally, I'd like to get to Starved Rock one of these days.

Starved Rock is amazing. We went for my birthday last year, and are hoping to go next month and see the waterfalls in action. September in Illinois is just not the time for waterfalls...

carol1412

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »

Starved Rock is amazing. We went for my birthday last year, and are hoping to go next month and see the waterfalls in action. September in Illinois is just not the time for waterfalls...

Well worth the trip. I grew up there and introduced my husband to it a few years ago. Now it's one of his favorite places! We're going down over Easter weekend with all our kids and grandkids. With all the snow we've had, there's bound to be great waterfall action by then!

mmswm

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Everglades National Park, but only in the winter months.  The heat, humidity and bugs make it miserable most of the year.

Bahia Honda State Park (in the Florida Keys).  No hiking, but lots of snorkeling and SCUBA, or general beach activities.  I also don't recommend in the summer months.  Late fall to early spring is great though.

Ft. Ransom State Park, Ft. Ransom ND.  Lots of horseback riding trails and hiking trails in the summer and fall, and cross country ski trails in the winter.  I don't recommend spring time because of the sticky clay that forms the ground and gets really bad during flood season.

Green Bean

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »

You can head there now. A friend just posted a pic on FB of a frozen waterfall taken just last weekend.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »
I adore planning vacations around national park sites.  Some of my favorites:

Assateague Island (MD and VA) -- wild horses on the beach!
Mackinac Island (MI) -- beautiful bike ride around the island!
Lava Beds National Monument (CA) -- went on an awesome ice cave tour there
White Sands National Monument (NM)
Tettagouche State Park (MN)
Oregon Caves National Monument (OR)
Tonto National Monument (AZ) -- hiked up to see ancient cliff dwellings
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument (NM) -- fantastic little hike up a slot canyon
Petrified Forest National Park (AZ)  -- amazing views of the Painted Desert
Saguaro National Park (AZ) -- there's a fantastic desert zoo near part of the park
Virgin Islands National Park (USVI) -- Beautiful snorkeling and tropical beaches without crowds or scammers

Waterlight

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »
Favorite state park:  Wallace Falls State Park http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Wallace%20Falls  For anybody who's a waterfall fan, IMHO this Washington state park is a must-see!

Favorite national park:  Mt. Rainier National Park http://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm  This is a great one especially in the late summer if you like wildflowers.  There are meadows full of lupines, paintbrushes, and mountain heather in August and early September.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

MrTango

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »
My favorites are along the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota.

Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse are my two favorite locations to visit.

Coley

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse are my two favorite locations to visit.

Do you know much about Isle Royale? An acquaintance mentioned it to me a while back. My dad was from Superior, and we spent many summers there when I was a kid. I'd never heard of Isle Royale before though.

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »
My favorite national parks include Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, Rocky Mountain NP, and Everglades NP.

My favorite state parks are Harriman State Park (ID), Massacre Rocks State Park (ID), and Spring Mountain Ranch State Park (NV).

MrTango

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »

Do you know much about Isle Royale? An acquaintance mentioned it to me a while back. My dad was from Superior, and we spent many summers there when I was a kid. I'd never heard of Isle Royale before though.

I don't know much about it, but my dad and some of his friends went on a backpacking trip there and had a great time.  If you're into wilderness camping (pack everything in and out, purify your own water, etc) then it's definitely worth looking into.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »

I don't know much about it, but my dad and some of his friends went on a backpacking trip there and had a great time.  If you're into wilderness camping (pack everything in and out, purify your own water, etc) then it's definitely worth looking into.

Yeah, it is pretty remote and primitive. I think it is beautiful if you are up for that level of camping but that is a specific group of people.