General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

"Borrowing" supplies at work. Small update #26

(1/8) > >>

SiotehCat:
This is something really small, but it comes up multiple times a day at work and I am looking for a good way to handle it. Or, if I am just being petty then please tell me so.

I am a dog groomer for a  large corporate salon. The salon offers a bow or bandana with every groom. The business provide solid colored bandanas with the Company name on them. They also provide ribbon with the Company name on it so that we can make bows. We do not need to spend any of our own money buying these things.

We have pink bandanas for the female dogs, but most groomers prefer to use bows for females. Most customers prefer it too.

I make my own bows with my own ribbon. At one point, I was selling packages of bows, but I no longer do that. The money that I got for them wasn't worth it to me and all of the demands were taking the fun out of it. The bows I make are quite fancy. They aren't hard to make, but its time consuming.

So, this is what keeps happening. There are certain coworkers that will not make or buy their own bows. Instead, they will just keep asking me for mine. They ask for them 2 at a time, so I feel really petty saying no. The problem is that its 2 bows for each dog, so I know that they are just going to ask for more when they finish their next dog.

In cases where I have already given them 2, then they will ask if they can "buy" 2 more. The problem with that is that I don't want them to think that they can buy my bows 2 at a time.

If I do not have any of my bows with me, one person in particular will ask if I can make them two bows with our Company Ribbon.

How can I tell them that I do not want to provide them with bows in any way? Am I being petty? What about when they ask me in front of the customer?

What can I do to discourage them from asking me?

Slartibartfast:
Is making bows part of your job description, or is it just something you like doing on the side?  I think you can be honest and say "Sorry, making those bows is really time-consuming so I really don't do them anymore.  The company provides [X option] or [Y option] instead."  If your job description does involve making bows, I think you do need to make them when necessary - but that doesn't mean you have to make them extra-fancy, and you don't have to make them for your co-workers when bow-making would normally be their own job.

Surianne:
Are the bows a part of your job?  If they're just for fun, you probably shouldn't be doing them with company supplies.  If they are for your job, then why not teach the others how to make them? 

Why is it a problem that they're offering to buy them?  Are you worried it will get you in trouble with your boss, since it's company supplies?  If so just say "I'm sorry, I can't sell them, they're company supplies" and leave it at that.

I might be missing something...sorry if I'm not getting it.

Nikko-chan:
I think (correct me if i am wrong, OP) that they offer either bandanas or bows with the company logo on it. Manufacturer gives Salon ribbon to make the bows with, but the workers actually have to make the bows. I believe OP makes her own fancier bows using her own ribbon without Company Logo on it.

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on March 06, 2013, 09:07:59 PM ---Is making bows part of your job description, or is it just something you like doing on the side?  I think you can be honest and say "Sorry, making those bows is really time-consuming so I really don't do them anymore.  The company provides [X option] or [Y option] instead."

--- End quote ---

Well, we offer a bow or bandana with every groom. So, if someone didn't know how to make bows, they could use a bandana.

The problem with saying that I don't do them anymore is that I use them.

Some of my coworkers buy bows online or at trade shows. Some of them don't use bows at all and will only use bandanas. Its only 2-3 coworkers that like using bows but won't buy their own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version