Author Topic: "Borrowing" supplies at work. Small update #26  (Read 7013 times)

SiotehCat

"Borrowing" supplies at work. Small update #26
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
This is something really small, but it comes up multiple times a day at work and I am looking for a good way to handle it. Or, if I am just being petty then please tell me so.

I am a dog groomer for a  large corporate salon. The salon offers a bow or bandana with every groom. The business provide solid colored bandanas with the Company name on them. They also provide ribbon with the Company name on it so that we can make bows. We do not need to spend any of our own money buying these things.

We have pink bandanas for the female dogs, but most groomers prefer to use bows for females. Most customers prefer it too.

I make my own bows with my own ribbon. At one point, I was selling packages of bows, but I no longer do that. The money that I got for them wasn't worth it to me and all of the demands were taking the fun out of it. The bows I make are quite fancy. They aren't hard to make, but its time consuming.

So, this is what keeps happening. There are certain coworkers that will not make or buy their own bows. Instead, they will just keep asking me for mine. They ask for them 2 at a time, so I feel really petty saying no. The problem is that its 2 bows for each dog, so I know that they are just going to ask for more when they finish their next dog.

In cases where I have already given them 2, then they will ask if they can "buy" 2 more. The problem with that is that I don't want them to think that they can buy my bows 2 at a time.

If I do not have any of my bows with me, one person in particular will ask if I can make them two bows with our Company Ribbon.

How can I tell them that I do not want to provide them with bows in any way? Am I being petty? What about when they ask me in front of the customer?

What can I do to discourage them from asking me?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:22:25 PM by SiotehCat »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: "Borrowing" supplies at work.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
Is making bows part of your job description, or is it just something you like doing on the side?  I think you can be honest and say "Sorry, making those bows is really time-consuming so I really don't do them anymore.  The company provides [X option] or [Y option] instead."  If your job description does involve making bows, I think you do need to make them when necessary - but that doesn't mean you have to make them extra-fancy, and you don't have to make them for your co-workers when bow-making would normally be their own job.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
Are the bows a part of your job?  If they're just for fun, you probably shouldn't be doing them with company supplies.  If they are for your job, then why not teach the others how to make them? 

Why is it a problem that they're offering to buy them?  Are you worried it will get you in trouble with your boss, since it's company supplies?  If so just say "I'm sorry, I can't sell them, they're company supplies" and leave it at that.

I might be missing something...sorry if I'm not getting it.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
I think (correct me if i am wrong, OP) that they offer either bandanas or bows with the company logo on it. Manufacturer gives Salon ribbon to make the bows with, but the workers actually have to make the bows. I believe OP makes her own fancier bows using her own ribbon without Company Logo on it.

SiotehCat

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
Is making bows part of your job description, or is it just something you like doing on the side?  I think you can be honest and say "Sorry, making those bows is really time-consuming so I really don't do them anymore.  The company provides [X option] or [Y option] instead."

Well, we offer a bow or bandana with every groom. So, if someone didn't know how to make bows, they could use a bandana.

The problem with saying that I don't do them anymore is that I use them.

Some of my coworkers buy bows online or at trade shows. Some of them don't use bows at all and will only use bandanas. Its only 2-3 coworkers that like using bows but won't buy their own.

SiotehCat

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
I think (correct me if i am wrong, OP) that they offer either bandanas or bows with the company logo on it. Manufacturer gives Salon ribbon to make the bows with, but the workers actually have to make the bows. I believe OP makes her own fancier bows using her own ribbon without Company Logo on it.

You are right, Nikko-Chan.

I buy all of my own ribbon, tulle, bands, gems, etc... I also make my bows at home and not at work.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
I'd bring in only as many as I expected to use and say "Sorry, they're really time consuming to make so I only have enough to get me through the day." If someone complains "But you've always shared before!" say "Yes which meant I had to make a bunch extra and, as I said, I don't have enough time." or "When I have shared I have occasionally ran out before the end of the day which upsets my last clients."

If there's a time you'd be willing to teach a few coworkers how to make them, say on a break or if you wanted to go in early or stay late ONE time, you could offer that. I absolutely don't think you're obligated but if someone doesn't care to learn to make their bows they can't really blame you for not wanting to make them, either.  ;)

Edited to add - As far as coworkers asking you to make fancy bows with company ribbon I'd do it if I had time and, if not, be honest. "Sorry but I need to do X." Maybe you could work out a deal where someone will take care of a task you don't care for while you make them a pile of bows?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:19:21 PM by JenJay »

Erich L-ster

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
I would tell them that you only brought enough for your own clients and if they ask you to make some right then and there I would find something to be busy with.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:07:18 PM »
Only bring enough for yourself perday. If you are willing to sell in bulk but not 2 at a time, package any extras up in a sealed bag and say "sorry these are packaged you can buy the whole bag if you want, but I'm not selling individually anymore."

Amara

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »
I'd simply tell the co-workers, in private, that I make bows with my own money and on my own time; they are simply not for sale. If you are willing to make bows for them, decide in advance what the minimum order from someone else would be and what you will charge. Be sure to add in a nice profit for yourself, and require payment in advance. If you prefer not to make them for anyone else just tell your co-workers that, using the first line above. No JADE-ing.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »
OP, just wanted to say (parts of) your post made me smile.  Bows . . .What a cool thing to do.  Bet the dogs look really cute!  :)

Miss Tickle

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »
I make my own bows with my own ribbon. At one point, I was selling packages of bows, but I no longer do that. The money that I got for them wasn't worth it to me and all of the demands were taking the fun out of it. The bows I make are quite fancy. They aren't hard to make, but its time consuming.

So, this is what keeps happening. There are certain coworkers that will not make or buy their own bows. Instead, they will just keep asking me for mine. They ask for them 2 at a time, so I feel really petty saying no. The problem is that its 2 bows for each dog, so I know that they are just going to ask for more when they finish their next dog.

In cases where I have already given them 2, then they will ask if they can "buy" 2 more. The problem with that is that I don't want them to think that they can buy my bows 2 at a time.
What can I do to discourage them from asking me?

Nothing in life is free, not even pretty bows. Charge for every one. Offer them bows at your price. If they don't want to pay then that's up to them.

"Sure, each bow is five bucks, or three for ten." (or whatever you need to charge to make a profit.)  "No? Okay." (that way they don't get any.)

If you didn't want to make bows for your clients, as your job requires, who at your work would make them for you?

YummyMummy66

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
These co-workers are not borrowing your supplies. 

The bows are not supplies.  A comb or a scissors is.

I would tell them no, you cannot have any more bows.  I take my own, personal time to make them, you can too, or I have this amount of time, I can make you (#) of bows a week for $ each bow.    If you WANT to do this.  If not, "I'm sorry, that won't be possible."    If they ask why, "Because I have only made enough bows for my customers today. Supplies are provided so that you can make your own".

Pen^2

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 08:14:47 AM »
These co-workers are not borrowing your supplies. 

The bows are not supplies.  A comb or a scissors is.

I would tell them no, you cannot have any more bows.  I take my own, personal time to make them, you can too, or I have this amount of time, I can make you (#) of bows a week for $ each bow.    If you WANT to do this.  If not, "I'm sorry, that won't be possible."    If they ask why, "Because I have only made enough bows for my customers today. Supplies are provided so that you can make your own".

I fully agree here.

These are things you have paid for yourself and made yourself. They are your possessions. If someone came and asked you for items from your work lunch to eat, instead of preparing food of their own, it would be absurd. Yet this is the same situation. I would either charge for every bow, no exceptions (so they stop trying to get freebies) or, since you don't want to go back into the whole selling bows part, just say no. Frankly, it's rude that they ask you at all to have your own possessions to have as their own if they know that you are unwilling to part with them.

Explain that you don't have as many as you used to because they take so long to make, so you don't have enough to give away--not even one or two. I would keep restating this (or something to this effect) over and over to any objections: "but you gave me two last week!" "Sorry, they take so long to make that I just don't have as many anymore, not even one spare." "But it's only two!" "Yes, but because they take so long to make, I don't have as many as I used to, so I can't even spare one." etc. etc.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
'Sorry, I only have enough for Ginger and Lady today."

or

"Hey, coworkers, I have noticed that many of you are asking me if I have any extra bows. Boss hasn't given me time during the day to make bows for everyone, but what I can do is show you all how to do it so you won't have to rely on me since I often don't have time to make them. "   
Act like you are doing them a favor ..."Sharing" your knowledge.