Author Topic: "Borrowing" supplies at work. Small update #26  (Read 7454 times)

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
Re: "Borrowing" supplies at work. Small update #26
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »
I'm having a hard time articulating what I think about the Bow Moocher, but I'm going to try.

If I were your customer, I'd be really happy that you took the time to make a bow for my pet.  To me, it's a gesture that shows that you're doing more than just the job requirements, and it's a personal touch that would mean something to me as a customer.  I tend to notice handmade things, and I always appreciate the effort.

So to me, the Bow Moocher is stealing your goodwill towards customers.  She's getting the benefit of looking like she's adding a personal touch without actually lifting a finger.  And that just bothers me.

I'm glad you're not giving her any more of your work.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »
I've had a lot of people asking, 'Can I borrow [food item]?'  I normally answer, 'No but you can have it.  I really don't want it back when you're done with it.'  Pedantic, I know, but 'borrowing' a consumable drives me right round the bend.

Sioteh Cat, good for you.  I'd talk to your bather and let her know that Mooch is likely to ask for bows.  Just so she can be prepared to say no or to charge a price that she's willing to make them for.

To be fair, I think there is a legitimate use of "borrow" for a consumable item--specifically, when the borrower returns an identical or equivalent item, instead of the exact item borrowed. For example, Merriam Webster gives the example of borrowing a dollar. Generally, if someone borrows cash, they aren't going to return those particular bills to the lender; they are simply going to give the lender the same number of dollars that they borrowed. Likewise, it would be possible for someone to borrow a food item, consume it, and replace it with an identical item once they get a chance to go to the store. In a looser sense, there's the idea of "borrowing a cup of sugar" from one's neighbor. Of course, they're not going to return that specific cup of sugar and they might not return sugar at all, but there's a implication of reciprocity. One neighbor "borrows" a cup of sugar so they don't have to run to the store, with the understanding that they will be willing to "lend" a cup of sugar, or some flour, or some tomatoes, etc., when the original lending neighbor is in a similar situation.

Of course, the Bow Moocher isn't borrowing bows in any sense of the word, because she is offering nothing equivalent in return. If she made her own bows (or fancy bandanas) of comparable quality to SiotehCat's, which Sio "borrowed" in return with comparable frequency, then IMO she could legitimately call it borrowing. And we would probably have never had a thread about it here because it would be a mutually-beneficial arrangement.  ;)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
I've had a lot of people asking, 'Can I borrow [food item]?'  I normally answer, 'No but you can have it.  I really don't want it back when you're done with it.'  Pedantic, I know, but 'borrowing' a consumable drives me right round the bend.

The undercurrent of "borrowing" a cup of sugar, or something else like that, is that someday the borrower would be very happy to give you something of somewhat similar value, etc.

If I "borrowed" a cup of sugar, I'd return it in the form of baked goods (if not this batch, then another one later). Or, I might have a relationship with a neighbor who would say, "can I borrow you to bring in my mail every day for the 2 weeks I'm gone?" in exchange for that sugar.

But in many situations, there isn't any reciprocity, and I think it's smart to use the word "have" instead of "borrow." (That's a logic similar to my dislike of "sharing" when it's really "give you some of mine.")

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 10:06:19 PM »
I'm having a hard time articulating what I think about the Bow Moocher, but I'm going to try.

If I were your customer, I'd be really happy that you took the time to make a bow for my pet.  To me, it's a gesture that shows that you're doing more than just the job requirements, and it's a personal touch that would mean something to me as a customer.  I tend to notice handmade things, and I always appreciate the effort.

So to me, the Bow Moocher is stealing your goodwill towards customers.  She's getting the benefit of looking like she's adding a personal touch without actually lifting a finger.  And that just bothers me.

Yep!

Erich L-ster

Re: "Borrowing" supplies at work.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
Just curious, are you paid per animal that you groom or a set amount per hour that you work? You don't have to answer that here, but I think it makes a difference.

If you are all paid per animal, then you are using your time making bows at home to maximize your income. By having the bows ready to go, you save time on the job and can groom more animals than if you took work time to make bows (any bows, plain or fancy).

In addition to saving time=more customers, just the fact of a customer thinking "I want to use the groomer who has the bows I like" would increase her income (if paid by the animal).

If co-worker wont make her own bows she should get her own gimmick. It could be lollypops for the kids or store-bought bows or treats or whatever.

Hopefull

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 12:19:26 AM »
I love love to make bows. I have made thousands in the past 4 years. I know how much work goes into them. These are something you make and put your time into. If the bow moocher doesn't want to make them herself then that is on her. You can be helpful and let her know that you tube is a great tool and you can find tons of how to videos. But stick to your guns. Moocher chooses to not make them so you can choose not to share!

Btw I would love love love to see some of your puppies bows.
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

Seraphine1

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »
Good for you for taking a stand!

I had a thought... can you come up with a design using the free company ribbon, and maybe singe the ends so it doesn't fray? That might save you a bit on supplies. supplies. Or can you suggest to your boss that the next time ribbon needs to be ordered, can the non fraying kind be purchased instead?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
But in many situations, there isn't any reciprocity, and I think it's smart to use the word "have" instead of "borrow." (That's a logic similar to my dislike of "sharing" when it's really "give you some of mine.")

It is these kind of situations I'm talking about.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

misha412

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
Lend? Unless her clients are returning the bows to you, they aren't being loaned. I hate when people do that. Fortunately it sounds like she knows you won't be giving her anymore bows since she's pouting about it.  ::)

Okay, O/T for a second. I HATE when someone asks to "borrow" a consumable object such as a tissue or a piece of food. As stated before, "Borrowing" a cup of a sugar from a neighbor was always with the intent of returning it or having the neighbor come and get a cup in the future. Asking a co-worker or a strangerto borrow a consumable is not the same thing. It is a murder of the English language and it makes no sense. It bugs me to no end. end O/T

For Bow Moocher, everyone who knows how to make a bow should refuse to make them for her. If the OP will not make them for her, she will try to get another in the salon to do it. Her presumption to say "I need two bows for this dog...OP." shows she is a SS. She assumes OP is her personal assistant or slave and should make what she is told.