Author Topic: Products that seem...inappropriate?  (Read 8326 times)

Camarynne

• Nowadays, friendship is global. :)
Products that seem...inappropriate?
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
In Wal-Mart yesterday, in the school supplies section, there was a big cartoonish kid-oriented display of Scented Glue Sticks. Several different scents (I was in a bit of a hurry so I don't have details.)

Because yeah, kids, sniffing glue is a good idea.

Seriously? Any other products out there that they should have put a little more thought into?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Truth, my friend, is somewhere out there, just waiting to be released.
But before you embark on your great endeavor, know that you'll never return to peace.
-- Charles Edward Jaggard

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Products that seem...inappropriate?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can't get high on that type of glue--or is it just that it sounds funny?  ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
It's pretty much the same as the scented pens we grew up with, I think. What kinds of scents?

Camarynne

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »
No, I'm sure it won't get you high...it just seemed a little weird to me. As for the scents, I didn't get to read it to find out but they were brightly colored so I'm thinking fruity? Not sure. I'll have to look again when I go back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But before you embark on your great endeavor, know that you'll never return to peace.

nuit93

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
Were they actually scented?  I've seen purple glue sticks that go on purple and dry clear.

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »
For that matter, scented markers strike me as funny! Here, sniff these big-barreled, rich colored markers, kids!
If you like that, you'll love what happens if you inhale the fumes from THESE markers.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »
They sell apple juice specifically for babies - it's about the same price as regular apple juice, but if you look at the fine print it's really just half apple juice and half distilled water.  I tried some once and it was nasty - too watery to taste like regular apple juice, but too apple-y to taste like water  :P  Why would I buy that when I could by regular apple juice and mix it with tap water for half the price?  (Or rather, for the same price but yielding twice as much?)

Camarynne

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
Were they actually scented?  I've seen purple glue sticks that go on purple and dry clear.

Yep, that's what caught my eye. I've tried googling them though and haven't found them yet. Odd.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
They sell apple juice specifically for babies - it's about the same price as regular apple juice, but if you look at the fine print it's really just half apple juice and half distilled water.  I tried some once and it was nasty - too watery to taste like regular apple juice, but too apple-y to taste like water  :P  Why would I buy that when I could by regular apple juice and mix it with tap water for half the price?  (Or rather, for the same price but yielding twice as much?)

Isn't distilled water dangerous for people to drink a lot of? I seem to remember from my upper - level biology class in high school that it would cause cell death if ingested in large quantities. We used it for experiments, but our teacher told us not to drink it because too much would cause cells to burst.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

magician5

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
At least the days are gone (I hope) when candy racks commonly included boxes of white sugar (faux-)cigarettes for kids. I used to like them and they were cheap, but that was 50 years ago.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:36 PM »
At least the days are gone (I hope) when candy racks commonly included boxes of white sugar (faux-)cigarettes for kids. I used to like them and they were cheap, but that was 50 years ago.

They still sell them, but they're called "candy stix" now. I saw some this Valentine's.

Adelaide

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
Since the trend lately has been that of selling "health" food, I think it's weird to see "Lite" beverages that are just half water. Like they have "Lite Pom" juice and they're like "Ooooh, look how much less sugar and calories are in here. Shiny!"

Once when I was shopping with a friend for groceries, we passed by a freezer and she jokingly said "Look! Forever Alone meals! You'd better stock up!" There's apparently brand of frozen meals called "Just for One".  ::) Even the frozen food aisle is judging me. :P

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:51:22 AM »
Isn't distilled water dangerous for people to drink a lot of? I seem to remember from my upper - level biology class in high school that it would cause cell death if ingested in large quantities. We used it for experiments, but our teacher told us not to drink it because too much would cause cells to burst.

I don't think your teacher was being honest with you, or you are remembering incorrectly.  Distilled water is purified water. It is clean and safe to drink.
Now of course if you are starting with undrinkable water (has dangerous additives) one might want to have it checked to make sure the distillation was successful at getting everything bad out, or if a person had mineral deficiencies and relied on water to supplement their nutrients, then distilled would not be ideal. but distilled drinking water? As part of an otherwise balanced diet?  Perfectly fine.

On topic, I have 3 words: Hello Kitty Vibrator

Camarynne

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:02 AM »

On topic, I have 3 words: Hello Kitty Vibrator

Please pass the brain bleach. Make it a double.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

StarFaerie

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

I don't think your teacher was being honest with you, or you are remembering incorrectly.  Distilled water is purified water. It is clean and safe to drink.
Now of course if you are starting with undrinkable water (has dangerous additives) one might want to have it checked to make sure the distillation was successful at getting everything bad out, or if a person had mineral deficiencies and relied on water to supplement their nutrients, then distilled would not be ideal. but distilled drinking water? As part of an otherwise balanced diet?  Perfectly fine.

That will have been deionised water not just distilled water. There is a lot of debate on whether deionised water is harmful or not. It is technically possible that it could pull minerals and other nutrients out of your body and I believe it has been found to do so in some lab tests. Plus apart from that, it's also quite expensive to make so the school probably didn't want it used up.