Author Topic: Products that seem...inappropriate?  (Read 8686 times)

snowdragon

Re: Products that seem...inappropriate?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
Anything aimed at pre-teens that involves any one (or more) of the following:
-Any wording related to sex (for example, emblazoning the word "Slut" across the chest of a five year old [I so wish I was making that up])
-The playboy bunny
-handcuffs (as a fashion accessory [again, wish I was making it up])

Agreed!! So gross.

A while a go I was working in a store and saw a toddle in an outfit that at "trick" across the front and "trick" across the rear end.  Why would you ever do that to to a little girl.?

snowdragon

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
Anything aimed at pre-teens that involves any one (or more) of the following:
-Any wording related to sex (for example, emblazoning the word "Slut" across the chest of a five year old [I so wish I was making that up])
-The playboy bunny
-handcuffs (as a fashion accessory [again, wish I was making it up])

Agreed!! So gross.

I think those are all classless regardless of the age they're targeted at.

I rather enjoy Playboy. It was a better magazine before the new editor took over; but it is still better than most on the market. Their short fiction is always excellent, as are their political pieces. Is it for adults? Yes. It is not appropriate for pre-teens. Judging it in the same manner as literature for 12 year olds is just silly.

No, but the bunny on a onsie is just revolting.  If I never see that again it will be too soon.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
Yeah, I could go on for days about clothing for children.

So I'll just quit while I'm ahead.   ;)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »
Two words:  Bowser Beer

Yep, beer for your dog.  It was really beef or chicken broth in a beer bottle, but cost as much as actual beer.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
Anything that has an obscene word on it out in public (bumper stickers/teeshirts/whatever). 

F*ck Y*u on any thing out in the public world, ANY thing.

In another thread someone commented about a "Fifty Shades of Grey" onesie - yuck!

Pretty much anything that refers to teen girls body shape, size or weight ticks me off.  Our society is all about "beauty" and I am so over that notion.  Everyone on television is pretty; out in the real world I think we are all "average" and that is beautiful. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
Suggestive or nasty bumper stickers.

One of the lunch ladies at our school parked her car in front of the school everyday. The bumper sticker said, "If you don't like my driving, call 1-800-F***You" (written out, not starred).

Every once in a while, a license plate sneaks through, too: Iluvit8 was one I saw.

I don't get it. I love it ate?  I levitate?  I must be missing something

Me to, because I read it as "I levitate" as well.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »

One of the lunch ladies at our school parked her car in front of the school everyday. The bumper sticker said, "If you don't like my driving, call 1-800-F***You" (written out, not starred).

Every once in a while, a license plate sneaks through, too: Iluvit8 was one I saw.

I'm missing what the issue is too.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
They sell apple juice specifically for babies - it's about the same price as regular apple juice, but if you look at the fine print it's really just half apple juice and half distilled water.  I tried some once and it was nasty - too watery to taste like regular apple juice, but too apple-y to taste like water  :P  Why would I buy that when I could by regular apple juice and mix it with tap water for half the price?  (Or rather, for the same price but yielding twice as much?)

I used to wonder the same thing about baby-food applesauce.  How different could it be from ordinary canned applesauce which was much cheaper?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
They sell apple juice specifically for babies - it's about the same price as regular apple juice, but if you look at the fine print it's really just half apple juice and half distilled water.  I tried some once and it was nasty - too watery to taste like regular apple juice, but too apple-y to taste like water  :P  Why would I buy that when I could by regular apple juice and mix it with tap water for half the price?  (Or rather, for the same price but yielding twice as much?)

I used to wonder the same thing about baby-food applesauce.  How different could it be from ordinary canned applesauce which was much cheaper?

Once upon a time, ordinary applesauce was half corn syrup.  Now you get a choice ("natural" means apples, "homestyle" or "chunky" are still corn syrup) and there really is no difference.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
I encountered this product while shopping at Large Pet Supply Store a few weeks ago and was so startled I took a picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/Pethead_021413_zpsc8162aab.jpg

The product itself is appropriate (moistened cloths for quick dog "baths") but the name is...startling. The things are made by the same company that makes the Bed Head line of hair products and I guess the name is supposed to be "edgy."  ::)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

I think it's "I love it ate", and it's describing a sexual act one enjoys having done.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »

I think it's "I love it ate", and it's describing a sexual act one enjoys having done.

that's how I read it also...   my mind may be in the gutter though

padua

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
the toddler "dancing poles".

...sigh...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Supposedly there's a pole dancing doll but I have yet to see it actually sold, just in blogs about bad presents for kids.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
the toddler "dancing poles".

...sigh...

Urgh.  I'm guessing you don't mean a ballet barre?

Any visit to a tourist trap store in a popular vacation spot results in many, many inappropriate t-shirt slogan/image sightings, not to mention all the tacky and outright gross souvenirs.  Sadly, even places that have a richer cultural heritage to trade on seem to supplement tourist shop stock with things like dolls or statues with extremely exaggerated physical characteristics.  Because so many of the locals would ever have those around the house.  I have been amazed to find how globally popular "little boy urinating" figures are as I have found them on 3 different continents in areas representing 3 vastly different cultures.