Author Topic: Products that seem...inappropriate?  (Read 9080 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Products that seem...inappropriate?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Pet clothing and costumes. Yes, they look cute but most of the time the pet doesn't like them. Unless its being used to keep the pet dry or warm I don't see the point.

oogyda

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »
I encountered this product while shopping at Large Pet Supply Store a few weeks ago and was so startled I took a picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/Pethead_021413_zpsc8162aab.jpg

The product itself is appropriate (moistened cloths for quick dog "baths") but the name is...startling. The things are made by the same company that makes the Bed Head line of hair products and I guess the name is supposed to be "edgy."  ::)

I <3 Pet Head has a large line of pet grooming products, including nail polish.  Some of the individual products can be a little "out there" just as the Bed Head products.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

snowflake

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »
Those cake toppers I once saw that had the groom all chained up by the bride.  Um...nice.  Yes, I realize that most of the time the cake topper is bought by the bride and therefore she is poking fun of herself.  I still don't think it's all that appropriate.

The same for the divorce cake toppers that show one spouse murdering the other.  Am I just too sensitive to anything that makes fun of domestic violence?

The preserved placenta products aren't really inappropriate they just want me want to scream, "For the love go G-d, WHY????"

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
I <3 Pet Head has a large line of pet grooming products, including nail polish.  Some of the individual products can be a little "out there" just as the Bed Head products.

They have a line of temporary hair (fur) dye stuff that's excellent for marking animals.  We used it in the Bottle Baby Nursery with our kittens, so we could tell them apart when we'd feed them.  Kitten A could have a blue dot on her left ear, Kitten B could have a red dot on her left ear, etc.  That way, we wouldn't get confused on who'd been fed/cared for during each round.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
Pet clothing and costumes. Yes, they look cute but most of the time the pet doesn't like them. Unless its being used to keep the pet dry or warm I don't see the point.

Plenty of pets like them, or at least like the attention they get wearing them. Regardless, even if you don't see the point of it, that doesn't make it inappropriate. Dressing your dog in a sexual fetish costume maybe, but not dressing it up at all

gmama

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
Former toy company employee here.  I can't tell you the number of times we had to get our engineers to rethink some of their designs especially for the pre-school market.  Because our target market had tiny hands everything made for them had to be easier to grip.  And kids like vibrating toys, right!?!!  Unfortunately, a lot of stuff end up looking a little toooo phallic.

Exhibit A 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquadoodle-Rainbow-Colour-Doodle-Spray/dp/B005OQ1LD0
I remember during the photoshoot for this product, we had to really be careful how the child held the sprayer/pen in their hands.

And I remember another company made a super-soaker that sprayed white watery goo... the commercial was very disturbing.

rachellenore

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »
I work retail and our store has been getting some really inappropriate young men's t-shirts in stock lately. One of them was a silkscreened photo of a topless woman in cut off shorts barely covering her breasts with her hand. Another one of them said "Will trade her --> for beer," and the latest one said "You | Me | Bed | Now." We're supposed to be a family appropriate store, I don't understand why we're getting in this garbage.

We have also been getting in these baffling novelty wall art signs. One of them said "I'm not wearing underwear. Mental note." Who would hang that on their wall??

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
Anyone remember vibrating pens? You could turn off the vibration and use it as a normal pen but the idea was that the vibrations while writing could make for an interesting design.

I laugh thinking now that it just didn't occur to me what it could be used for when I was a teenager (very sheltered and naive) but now I kinda can't help but laugh about it. 

I work retail and our store has been getting some really inappropriate young men's t-shirts in stock lately. One of them was a silkscreened photo of a topless woman in cut off shorts barely covering her breasts with her hand. Another one of them said "Will trade her --> for beer," and the latest one said "You | Me | Bed | Now." We're supposed to be a family appropriate store, I don't understand why we're getting in this garbage.

We have also been getting in these baffling novelty wall art signs. One of them said "I'm not wearing underwear. Mental note." Who would hang that on their wall??

Sounds like "Man Cave" kind of decor. Or what's meant to be "Man Cave" decor.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 07:30:13 PM »
At least the days are gone (I hope) when candy racks commonly included boxes of white sugar (faux-)cigarettes for kids. I used to like them and they were cheap, but that was 50 years ago.
I remember having those as a kid and then seeing them in a candy store about 20  years ago.  It really made me mad that they were encouraging kids to pretend to be smoking cigarettes.  I probably said something to the proprietor, but don't recall.  Stores used to sell bubble gum cigars, too, but I look more like a cigar than they did, so it didn't bother me.

We used to be able to buy bubble gum cigs from the ice cream truck ($.05 apiece, so very popular) They were wrapped in paper and if you put one end in your mouth and blew, it puffed powdered sugar "smoke"

This was back in the early '00's, so not that long ago. For all I know they're still on sale.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

DottyG

• Super Hero!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
The only stores I've seen the candy cigs in recently (as in 10+ years) are the kinda retro-type places that seem to be meant to appeal to adult nostalgia, rather than marketing to actual kids.

My "favorite" inappropriate product is in the pet food aisle of the grocery store... "Old Yeller" dog food? SERIOUSLY????
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

snowdragon

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
How about those things that you see hanging from vehicles these days that look like male anatomy.

Bluenomi

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
At least the days are gone (I hope) when candy racks commonly included boxes of white sugar (faux-)cigarettes for kids. I used to like them and they were cheap, but that was 50 years ago.

The were AWESOME! Best musk stick ever. They banned them here in the early 90s  :'( The were called Fads but before that were called same word with a g instead of a d. The even had red tips. They were so nice and never made me smoke.

snowdragon

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »

The were AWESOME! Best musk stick ever. They banned them here in the early 90s  :'( The were called Fads but before that were called same word with a g instead of a d. The even had red tips. They were so nice and never made me smoke.

You can still get them at Viddler's here.  Never made me smoke either.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 02:18:49 AM »
How about those things that you see hanging from vehicles these days that look like male anatomy.

They're called "truck nuts" and yeah, I don't really see the point (but then, I'm not a guy)  :P  Along those same lines, neuticles.