Author Topic: Products that seem...inappropriate?  (Read 7392 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Products that seem...inappropriate?
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:37 AM »
I really hate the scented markers and now apparently glue. For 2 reasons 1 we shouldn't encourage kids to sniff things like that. You let them use a sharpie or other perminate marker and they start sniffing it. Get hold of the wrong kind they could be hurt. 2nd reason those fake scents give me a head ache that feels like someone is trying to drill their way out of my head.

I hate fake scents in anything. Wednesday I was trapped in traffic  for more than an hour because it was being diverted around a natural gas leak. I went to school with an upset tummy and head ache from eating those exhaust fumes for so long. Coworker had one of the fake scented oil things in her room - triggered an asthma attack

The balls on trucks have been around for as long as I can remember. My Dad would say - there is someone that has to mark their territory.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:54 AM »
At least the days are gone (I hope) when candy racks commonly included boxes of white sugar (faux-)cigarettes for kids. I used to like them and they were cheap, but that was 50 years ago.

The were AWESOME! Best musk stick ever. They banned them here in the early 90s  :'( The were called Fads but before that were called same word with a g instead of a d. The even had red tips. They were so nice and never made me smoke.

You can still get them at Viddler's here.  Never made me smoke either.

Me neither.  Heck once a friend and I pretended pretzel sticks were cigarettes one cold day because we could look like we were blowing out the smoke when we breathed. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »
On the subject of kids products like scented glue and and such - the pens that also could be used to blow bubbles.  Any other pens that basically seemed designed to distract kids (or the people around them) from the work on whuch they were supposed to be focused. Most of that stuff makes it to school and most of it is fun/impressive enough to be played with and shown off.  That means that the pen can become a problem.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Speaking of pet clothing, there was a sequence on GMA with a doggie fashion show.  These were super-expensive things costing 1000 or more USD.  They were all inappropriate but the worst had to be a creation with a long train of peacock feathers.

Yeah, Full-sized peacock plumes dragging on the ground behind a dog. 

Arrynne

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
Suggestive or nasty bumper stickers.

One of the lunch ladies at our school parked her car in front of the school everyday. The bumper sticker said, "If you don't like my driving, call 1-800-F***You" (written out, not starred).

Every once in a while, a license plate sneaks through, too: Iluvit8 was one I saw.

I think that license plate is "I Levitate".  I can't come up with something naughty for it.

There was one near my hometown that said "4nic8" or possibly "fornic8".  That was caused quite the hubbub and was yanked by the DMV.

Arrynne

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
They sell apple juice specifically for babies - it's about the same price as regular apple juice, but if you look at the fine print it's really just half apple juice and half distilled water.  I tried some once and it was nasty - too watery to taste like regular apple juice, but too apple-y to taste like water  :P  Why would I buy that when I could by regular apple juice and mix it with tap water for half the price?  (Or rather, for the same price but yielding twice as much?)

I used to wonder the same thing about baby-food applesauce.  How different could it be from ordinary canned applesauce which was much cheaper?

The babyfood, at least stage 1 babyfood,  is pureed to be extra smooth.  You can run your regular applesauce through the blender to get the same effect.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
Wednesday I was trapped in traffic  for more than an hour because it was being diverted around a natural gas leak. I went to school with an upset tummy and head ache from eating those exhaust fumes for so long.

I know you were exposed to it for longer than you should have been, and I'm sorry that you got sick as a result.  But I'm very glad they've put that smell into the gas.  Natural gas is odorless by itself.  They put that very distinctive (we all know what it smells like) odor in there so that, if there's a gas leak somewhere, it can be caught in time.  That smell is there for a very serious, and important, reason.  It is not "inappropriate" at all.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
I encountered this product while shopping at Large Pet Supply Store a few weeks ago and was so startled I took a picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/Pethead_021413_zpsc8162aab.jpg

The product itself is appropriate (moistened cloths for quick dog "baths") but the name is...startling. The things are made by the same company that makes the Bed Head line of hair products and I guess the name is supposed to be "edgy."  ::)

I <3 Pet Head has a large line of pet grooming products, including nail polish.  Some of the individual products can be a little "out there" just as the Bed Head products.

I don't mind "out there," but I do wish they'd come up with a name that didn't suggest an act of bestiality. It's just...gross.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:38 PM »
My mind must be working differently, because I'm not getting "bestiality" out of that name at all.  ???

mstigerlily

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
My mind must be working differently, because I'm not getting "bestiality" out of that name at all.  ???

think of the phrase "getting head"- it's an activity meant to be shared by two consenting adults...
Add animals to that and its just gross.

Although I'm guessing the name is supposed to be referencing the human hair product line Bed Head

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
I thought Bed Head and my mind never went to bestiality.

I think that anything can be interpreted in a sexual way. If we want to, we can go around all day being shocked. However, I prefer to reserve it for things that have no other reasonable explanation.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »

I think that anything can be interpreted in a sexual way. If we want to, we can go around all day being shocked. However, I prefer to reserve it for things that have no other reasonable explanation.

I spent my formative time on the computer hanging out in a tasteless jokes newsgroup - the more vile the joke, the better. I hardly "go around all day being shocked."

I showed that picture to folks at work and posted it on Facebook and the general reaction was "What on earth were they thinking using that name?" The majority of them, like me, had never heard of the Bed Head products and only found out about the connection after some quick research. That research also led us to believe that the product name was likely deliberately intended to be outré.

Companies do that sometimes so you'll remember the product. I've never forgotten this company: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/Tommys.jpg
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

Yes, we can interpret lots of things as sexual (ranging from "I guess if you twist the meaning and change a few letters . . ." to "Did nobody seriously notice that?!"), but I would assume there's at least one person in the chain between idea and fully finished product who might be responsible for looking at product names and copy and saying "Wait, did we mean to say this?"

My favorite example is the Girl Scout slogan from a few years ago, "The girl comes first in Girl Scouting!"  I have to assume that nobody on the team who okayed that slogan has - or knows - a teenager.  Or anyone with a juvenile sense of humor.  Or anyone who uses the internet.

Shalamar

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
In my opinion, Bed Head is a terrible name for hair products because the phrase refers to messy hair.  Now, if the product name was "Just Been F***** Hair", that'd be a different story.  :)

I remember seeing a video link on Cracked for a Tarzan doll that came out when the Disney movie was released.  The doll was supposed to - I dunno - wave its arm in the air, I guess?  Instead, it made violent pumping motions at waist-level - all while doing the famous Tarzan yell.  I laughed at the video until I cried.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »

Mine, too.  I know the Pet Head products, and it seems like a normal name to me.