Author Topic: Products that seem...inappropriate?  (Read 9024 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Products that seem...inappropriate?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
I do CrossFit, which involves a lot of Olympic-style weight lifting.  There are t-shirts for women that say, "If you like my rack, wait until you see my snatch."  (Both rack and snatch are weightlifting terms).  I refuse to reveal whether I own this t-shirt.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
Reminds me of a shirt I had when I used to bike.  The front of the shirt had a drawing of someone biking up a hill and I think the back was someone going down a hill. 

On the front it said "Ohh hill" and on the back it said "Ohhh shift!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
Reminds me of a shirt I had when I used to bike.  The front of the shirt had a drawing of someone biking up a hill and I think the back was someone going down a hill. 

I need that shirt!  Any idea where I could find one?

nuit93

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
I do CrossFit, which involves a lot of Olympic-style weight lifting.  There are t-shirts for women that say, "If you like my rack, wait until you see my snatch."  (Both rack and snatch are weightlifting terms).  I refuse to reveal whether I own this t-shirt.  :)

I have a friend who does weightlifting...the terms for the lifts do lend themselves to many a double entendre!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »

I need that shirt!  Any idea where I could find one?

I'll see if I can find it or something similar. I got the shirt back in the mid 90's and it was sold on a bike ride I was doing (Bike Virginia) so I'm not even sure if they're made anymore.

Here's one that just says "Ohhh shift" http://www.cafepress.com/mf/28832403/ohhhh-shift_tshirt
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Wednesday I was trapped in traffic  for more than an hour because it was being diverted around a natural gas leak. I went to school with an upset tummy and head ache from eating those exhaust fumes for so long.

I know you were exposed to it for longer than you should have been, and I'm sorry that you got sick as a result.  But I'm very glad they've put that smell into the gas.  Natural gas is odorless by itself.  They put that very distinctive (we all know what it smells like) odor in there so that, if there's a gas leak somewhere, it can be caught in time.  That smell is there for a very serious, and important, reason.  It is not "inappropriate" at all.

Dotty it wasn't the natural gas fumes/rotten egg smell that I meant were inappropriate (The rotten egg smell was added after the New London School explosion in Rusk, Texas killed 295 students and staff members because of an undetected leak. I was raised on that story. )

It was the fake scent the other teacher had in her room, that I felt was inappropriate. It is kind of a sore spot for me. They were prohibited because of fire hazard and because of allergic reactions - until our school secretary started selling the stuff. Then it wasn't prohibited but now we are encouraged to have them. (but I have to pay 45 dollars a year to plug in my phone that I use to actually teach (as a timer, to video/audio record kids, document things)) I think the fact I was exposed to the exhaust fume made the reaction worse.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »
In Target a few years ago I was in the cleaning aisle when something on the bottom shelf caught my attention.  They were cleaning products in pretty colors packaged in what looked like 1 liter soda bottles. (the cleaning solutionss were different colors - red, orange, green....)  Seriously?  I know a million kids that would have thought they were juice or koolaid or whatever because of the packaging.  PLUS they were on the bottom shelf where the kids would be sure to see them.

Someone must have found the Clue-by-4 as I only saw them there for a short time.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

mmswm

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:35 PM »

I own several inappropriate math related t-shirts.  My favorite one has a particular definite integral followed by a question mark.  The result of that particular definite integral is a number that can be used to describe a certain position.  Totally inappropriate, but hysterical when random people at a bar get the joke and bust out laughing.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
In Target a few years ago I was in the cleaning aisle when something on the bottom shelf caught my attention.  They were cleaning products in pretty colors packaged in what looked like 1 liter soda bottles. (the cleaning solutionss were different colors - red, orange, green....)  Seriously?  I know a million kids that would have thought they were juice or koolaid or whatever because of the packaging.  PLUS they were on the bottom shelf where the kids would be sure to see them.

Someone must have found the Clue-by-4 as I only saw them there for a short time.

Like this stuff: http://www.proveedorajiron.com/images/product/fe2b932b9c254c6d8ffd72348dca49d5.JPG? It looks like Gatorade to me and I'm always startled when I see it. I would be afraid to have the stuff in my house if I had small children.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
kherbert05, that makes sense.  Your story was just confusing to me, then, because you said you had an upset tummy after breathing the fumes longer than usual.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
joraemi,

Your story reminded me of a product that I saw a picture for not long ago (haven't seen the real thing yet) of some gas additive that comes in the same type of container, and has a similar-sounding name, as one of the energy drinks such as 5-Hour Energy.  The store had put a large sign on the box of them that they were NOT CONSUMABLE, but you've got to wonder how many people either didn't bother reading that or forgot what it was later after buying it.  I hope the smell was such that they didn't actually drink it at some point.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
No, I'm sure it won't get you high...it just seemed a little weird to me. As for the scents, I didn't get to read it to find out but they were brightly colored so I'm thinking fruity? Not sure. I'll have to look again when I go back.

I agree without, it sounds really "off." In a slightly hysterical way.
Even if that's not the kind of glue you "sniff." Little kids, when they get old enough to hear about "i picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue" are going to be REALLY confused.

Jocelyn

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »
They sell apple juice specifically for babies - it's about the same price as regular apple juice, but if you look at the fine print it's really just half apple juice and half distilled water.  I tried some once and it was nasty - too watery to taste like regular apple juice, but too apple-y to taste like water  :P  Why would I buy that when I could by regular apple juice and mix it with tap water for half the price?  (Or rather, for the same price but yielding twice as much?)
That's called appelwasser in Germany. I'm really quite fond of it! But then, I think that apple juice is too sugary-sweet to be a refreshing beverage.

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2013, 07:29:57 AM »
I saw a Grand Theft Auto cake on Cake Wrecks that said Happy Sixth Birthday. Seriously? To me that seems wrong. That game is so violent and not something I would want a small child to play at all.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »
Suggestive or nasty bumper stickers.

One of the lunch ladies at our school parked her car in front of the school everyday. The bumper sticker said, "If you don't like my driving, call 1-800-F***You" (written out, not starred).

Every once in a while, a license plate sneaks through, too: Iluvit8 was one I saw.

I think that license plate is "I Levitate".  I can't come up with something naughty for it.

There was one near my hometown that said "4nic8" or possibly "fornic8".  That was caused quite the hubbub and was yanked by the DMV.

I levitate would have an "e" in it, not a "u".