Author Topic: For DH: travel dilemma More Info p.17  (Read 5686 times)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: For DH: travel dilemma
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
I think it might be best if I go ahead and tell what the issue is.

Doug has Multiple Sclerosis. He's never been fond of flying, but until recently he's dealt with it. The last time he took a long trip, he lost his sight for about a day.

DH is very aware of his condition but didn't know how severe it was. He would very much like to have him come along if he wants to.

It's entirely possible that the temporary blindness wasn't caused by flying. It's in the nature of Doug's condition that things can go wrong in seemingly random ways (and then, if the person is lucky, they may get better, also unpredictably).

Conversely, Doug's attitude might be "do it now, I may not be well enough at some future point." I've heard people with Doug's medical issue, and other chronic conditions, say that. It's his decision to make, if he's well enough to enjoy the trip.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Re: For DH: travel dilemma: Looks like we have a nice resolution.
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »
Tea Drinker, I think you're right on both counts. 

Some of you asked if DH was aware of the severity of Doug's condition. I think he only knew that Doug isn't fond of traveling. Just as an example, he knew that last year, Doug and his family flew overseas and had a great time, but it wasn't until after they discussed this trip that he found out the rest.

DH spoke to Doug this evening and confirmed that he will be joining him on the trip. Both of them are very excited.

As for some of the details of the trip, it's a non-issue.  Other than his disability, Doug is a fully functioning adult with a job, family, and home, he's not prone to being clingy or dependent. When DH is off doing his company stuff, I'm sure Doug will enjoy himself.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
I think he really needs to ask Doug to make sure he is comfortable with the trip.

I say let him take Doug!  He won't have too much fun that way. >:D

I don't quite understand this. Why shouldn't the OP's husband have a good time on the trip?

I also don't understand why you wouldn't want him to have a good time.

It's a joke.  OP's husband shouldn't have too good a time without her since she's missing out on the trip.  If he has too much fun without her, maybe he'll always want to go without her.  Joke joke joke - not terribly subtle.

This is what I read it as.  "OP's husband shouldn't have too good a time without her since she's missing out on the trip."

Yes, this is what I meant.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: For DH: travel dilemma More Info p.17
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:05 AM »
Great update. 

LadyL

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »
I think it might be best if I go ahead and tell what the issue is.

Doug has Multiple Sclerosis. He's never been fond of flying, but until recently he's dealt with it. The last time he took a long trip, he lost his sight for about a day.

DH is very aware of his condition but didn't know how severe it was. He would very much like to have him come along if he wants to.

It's entirely possible that the temporary blindness wasn't caused by flying. It's in the nature of Doug's condition that things can go wrong in seemingly random ways (and then, if the person is lucky, they may get better, also unpredictably).

Conversely, Doug's attitude might be "do it now, I may not be well enough at some future point." I've heard people with Doug's medical issue, and other chronic conditions, say that. It's his decision to make, if he's well enough to enjoy the trip.

Out of curiosity, why is the information about his medical condition in white? Usually I only see that done to help people avoid reading things that make them squeamish or something. There is nothing "gross" about that information, so I'm a bit confused.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Re: For DH: travel dilemma More Info p.17
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
I thought it might be disturbing to some people, not necessarily gross.