Author Topic: Sampling or Stealing? (Update p.5 #68)  (Read 13519 times)

Oh Joy

Re: Sampling or Stealing?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »
I wouldn't go so far as to call it stealing, but I don't think it's in line with the purpose of the samples.  I see them as being offered so we can decide which to buy, not whether to buy.  Pulling 5-10 ounces of product, knowing you won't at least default to purchase a couple ounces of vanilla with fluffy whipped cream if you don't find something you absolutely LOVE (which you've learned from prior visits that you probably won't), isn't as bad as kicking a puppy... but I wouldn't do it.

Indigosails

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:58 AM »
I would think that someone entered a the frozen yogurt store with the intent to buy. To just take samples seems wrong. I don't think I could take 5 or 6 samples and then walk out without buying something.

learningtofly

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
I think you're fine.  The same flavor can vary from place to place.  So today you tried five flavors and didn't like any of them.  The next time you go in if any of these five flavors are there you won't try them and might sample something different.  I sample to rule out flavors.  Granted most flavor don't appeal to me, but a friend was raving about cake batter yogurt so the next time I go in I'll sample it.  I have no intention of buying cake batter yogurt, but may be surprised and find I have a new favorite.  That's how you learn.

If you were coming in twice a week and sampling the same flavors again and again then you'd be stealing.  It's like the high school kids-how many times can you sample chocolate and vanilla?  But trying something new to rule it in or out?  They're hoping you find something you like and that when you come back the next time and it isn't there you find something else you like.  For many people this works.  You just weren't wow'd this trip.  Maybe next time you will be.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »
You went in looking for something you really liked, but their flavors didn't knock you out. I don't see a problem, so long as you weren't walking out with full sampler cups.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:58 AM »
Here's what I would do:

The next time I went into the place, I'd go to the counter and tell them:  I am really fussy about the flavour of my frozen yoghurt.  I'm going to try all the flavours until I find one I like, if I do find one I like.  If I don't end up buying any, I will feel guilty that I've taken all these samples and then not given you any business.  Can I pay you ($1, $2) if that happens?  That way I won't feel guilty.

They'll either accept your money or wave you off with a 'Don't worry about it'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
I would go in with the intent of buying a permanent flavor if I can't find an alternate flavor.  I would not go in and taste 5 different kinds and then leave.  If you don't wish to spend money on a permanent flavor for whatever reason, I would just call in and ask when they will have the flavor you love.  I know at our TCBY's here and Yoferia, they have a schedule that shows you the flavors coming in.  Also they have a website and facebook page that tells you the flavors. 

Calistoga

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
For my part, I go in to a FroYo place to buy. I sample to see which one I like the best, but unless they have nothing but flavors I dislike, I get something.

If you feel like you've sampled too much and want to pay them back a little, buy a cup of toppings you like. Half the reason I go to one of our local ones is because they have strawberry caviar.

Margo

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »
Here's what I would do:

The next time I went into the place, I'd go to the counter and tell them:  I am really fussy about the flavour of my frozen yoghurt.  I'm going to try all the flavours until I find one I like, if I do find one I like.  If I don't end up buying any, I will feel guilty that I've taken all these samples and then not given you any business.  Can I pay you ($1, $2) if that happens?  That way I won't feel guilty.

I like this suggestion.

I think you were OK, particualrly if you don't make a habit of it, and especially as they don't limit the number of samples, and given that you do buy their product regularly. But I understand why you felt uncomfortable.

Can you call ahead to find out if they have (say) butterscotch? that way, you can go in & try the new and strange flavours, if you find that the cake-batter one is fantastic, you have that, if not, you have butterscotch - either way, they get some business.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Here's what I would do:

I like this suggestion.

I think you were OK, particualrly if you don't make a habit of it, and especially as they don't limit the number of samples, and given that you do buy their product regularly. But I understand why you felt uncomfortable.

Can you call ahead to find out if they have (say) butterscotch? that way, you can go in & try the new and strange flavours, if you find that the cake-batter one is fantastic, you have that, if not, you have butterscotch - either way, they get some business.

Calling ahead is a great idea!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
I am very interested in this conversation and opinions...

Saturday I went into a froyo store looking to buy a sugar free flavor - they didn't have any so I had a tiny sample of Cake Batter flavor. 

Now I knew I wasn't going to buy a sugared yogurt but just wanted a taste -wasn't I stealing?

Calistoga

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
Eh. No. It was still just one sample. I do this some times when they have a really off the wall flavor- I had to know what Spicy Banana tasted like.

delabela

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
I am very interested in this conversation and opinions...

Saturday I went into a froyo store looking to buy a sugar free flavor - they didn't have any so I had a tiny sample of Cake Batter flavor. 

Now I knew I wasn't going to buy a sugared yogurt but just wanted a taste -wasn't I stealing?

I don't think it's stealing, or even necessarily objectively wrong, I would not be comfortable taking a sample knowing I will not buy.

I agree with other posters that 4-5 samples is excessive. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
I've been to a place that has frozen yogurt specifically because they were giving out samples at a store next door. Normally I am not into forzen yogurt but I really liked the flavor I sampled.  I went and bought a large container to keep in the freezer at home.  They mentioned that it happened to be the last day for that flavor.  I would go back and sample new flavors sometime, maybe buy a large container if I liked it and buy nothing if I didn't.  Now if one of the flavors was coconut or something I wouldn't bother because I know that I don't  like that flavor in any form.  If it was a flavor I generally like I would still want to sample because I might not like "their" version.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
My Costco has samples out all the time.  I try everything going and very rarely buy what I'm sampling.  I only take one sample of each item, even if there is more than one flavour combination, and by-pass anything I know I won't like.

Doesn't bother me in the least to do this and I don't consider it stealing.  They are freely offered; I'm allowed to sample.

In the OP's case, she's trying several samples of essentially the same thing, just different flavours.  I don't think she's wrong but it isn't something I would do.  Which is why I made the suggestion I did.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
My Costco has samples out all the time.  I try everything going and very rarely buy what I'm sampling.  I only take one sample of each item, even if there is more than one flavour combination, and by-pass anything I know I won't like.

Doesn't bother me in the least to do this and I don't consider it stealing.  They are freely offered; I'm allowed to sample.

In the OP's case, she's trying several samples of essentially the same thing, just different flavours.  I don't think she's wrong but it isn't something I would do.  Which is why I made the suggestion I did.

But that's completely different from the OP.  You are at Costco to shop in general.  It's the same in my grocery store.  I didn't think the OP was stealing. But knowing ahead of time that this store may not have her flavor and already sampled several, she should go in with the intention next time to buy something.