Author Topic: Sampling or Stealing? (Update p.5 #68)  (Read 13220 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Sampling or Stealing?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
In the case of the froyo place, I don't think it was the most horrible thing in the world, but I wouldn't do it. I think 4 or 5 samples is too many to take without buying something. I probably wouldn't do 4 or 5 samples even if I was planning to buy, unless I was planning to buy some sort of massive order that might involve several of the sampled flavors if I liked them. I usually do one sample, two tops, and then buy--either a new thing I've sampled or an old stalwart. At least at a pay-by-weight place you can just get a tiny bowl of vanilla with a bit of fruit if you can't find anything else, and not spend so much ($ or calories). I think one sample, without buying, is probably fine, especially for a regular customer.

A grocery store I see as a different situation. As a PP said, the products set out for sampling are pre-chosen, not every single thing in the store, and are intended to promote those products; and most people buy something at the grocery store on that trip anyway. It would be dodgier to me if someone walked into the grocery store with the intent to only eat the samples, ate every sample they could find, and didn't buy anything at all.
~Lynn2000

Calistoga

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
It would be dodgier to me if someone walked into the grocery store with the intent to only eat the samples, ate every sample they could find, and didn't buy anything at all.

I think this might be the only reason some people go to Costco though. Seriously, it was a major past time for a while.

SiotehCat

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
It would be dodgier to me if someone walked into the grocery store with the intent to only eat the samples, ate every sample they could find, and didn't buy anything at all.

I think this might be the only reason some people go to Costco though. Seriously, it was a major past time for a while.

But Costco requires a paid membership. If people are going to Costco only for the samples, they are still paying for them with their membership.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
I use the "if everybody did it" rule for these sorts of things. If everybody took 4-5 samples and left without buying anything, it would have a negative impact on the shop. So I wouldn't do it. I think the general purpose of samples is to help you decide what to buy, not whether to buy.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

jmarvellous

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
I have done exactly this before -- with the small exception that they were handing out sample cups at the door and gave us each a stack that size.  If the store is cool with it, then I do not think it is theft!

I tried all the flavors that were interesting to me (skipping awful-to-me things like grape), found them either uninteresting or overly artificial, decided I wasn't in the mood for vanilla, and left. My friends did the same, though one really liked some fruity thing and said she'd be back on another occasion for a big cup.

Sampling is about satisfying customers and advertising your wares. In this case, they gained one new customer at the cost of about 12 samples, and avoided a couple of dissatisfied future customers (me, our other friend). In your case, you eliminated your need for future wide-ranging sampling. It didn't dissuade you from coming back, it just encouraged your love of other flavors.

magicdomino

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
If I remember correctly, some of those grocery store samples - the ones staffed by a person serving, as opposed to the ones under a plastic dome - are paid for by the food producers.  The store only makes the space available.

My two cents on the yogurt sample issue:  One or two samples are okay, four or five when the odds are against buying any is pushing it.  Do ask the clerks about schedules, and about your favorite flavor.  If they know someone is really eager for butterscotch frozen yogurt, they may put it on the rotation more often. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
Some places have little tiny tasting spoons and they give you a sample.  They would be wise to do that instead of having cups. 
A local store often has samples of dip and some kind of cracker or chip.  I noticed yesterday that they have added a sign saying, "Take one".  Some people take advantage of these samples.  It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped the practice altogether if they are fed up enough to put up a sign after all this time. 
I think that people who take advantage of free samples are not only stealing product, but are ruining it for the rest of us.

As for sampling so many yogurts, I would have settled on one because I would have felt funny about it not buying (as apparently you did).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:11:42 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »
I agree with the others that 4-5 samples was excessive. If they're the little paper condiment cups, 4-5 of those acutally sounds like a full dessert!
Utah

snowdragon

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
If you r conscience is bothering you after doing it....why make yourself miserable by doing it? 

Girly

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »
I don't see what the OP did as really any different from what the highschoolers did, regardless of intent. They all sampled and left without buying anything. I think it is not okay to sample at a place as described and not buy anything. This is not the same as samples at a grocery store.  If you cannot afford yogurt, don't sample it, would be my advice!

I totally disagree with this. I am certainly not going to buy something I don't like just because I sampled it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »
I have gone in and sampled and then left without buying. 

We go eat froyo about twice a month. We have 3 places we frequent and all of them have between 14 to 16 flavors at anyone time and they have over 70 rotating flavors and some seasonal one offs. In none of the places do I like their plain tart, taro, no sugar added chocolate or no sugar added vanilla  which seem to be the only consistent flavors.  So trying out 4 or 5 new flavors to pick the 3 I'm going to buy is not uncommon.

I can usually find a flavor I like, but there was one evening DH and I went in to one place and each tried 3 or 4 flavors and didn't like any of them so told the guy we'd see him next time.

The only froyo place I've seen have a problem with more sampling then buying is one in the mall. They now limit their employees to providing two sample cups per customer and state there is a limit of 2 samples only with no purchase.

Oh Joy

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »

We go eat froyo about twice a month. We have 3 places we frequent and all of them have between 14 to 16 flavors at anyone time and they have over 70 rotating flavors and some seasonal one offs. In none of the places do I like their plain tart, taro, no sugar added chocolate or no sugar added vanilla  which seem to be the only consistent flavors.  So trying out 4 or 5 new flavors to pick the 3 I'm going to buy is not uncommon.

I can usually find a flavor I like, but there was one evening DH and I went in to one place and each tried 3 or 4 flavors and didn't like any of them so told the guy we'd see him next time.

The only froyo place I've seen have a problem with more sampling then buying is one in the mall. They now limit their employees to providing two sample cups per customer and state there is a limit of 2 samples only with no purchase.

I think your example is on the 'OK' side of the fuzzy grey line because you usually purchase, where it sounds like our OP is more in 'less OK' territory because they usually don't purchase. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »

I think your example is on the 'OK' side of the fuzzy grey line because you usually purchase, where it sounds like our OP is more in 'less OK' territory because they usually don't purchase.

Huh, when I read the OP it sounded like this is the only time she ever went in and didn't purchase.

And there is no fuzzy line in my opinion. In the store where we did this, there is no sign that says "free samples with purchase"  just a counter person pressing you with "Here are sample cups" as the door to the store is opening.  I've even walked into one store and they did the "here's sample cups" and I said "no thanks I know what I want." Their response is "oh take them anyway to try for next time." Honestly, they are so pushy with sample cups, my DH just takes them when handed because it's easier than refusing.

The theory is that once you sample you won't be able to resist buying. And hopefully the more flavors you find you like, the more ounces you'll buy.  It's their marketing strategy.

When the mall froyo store opened, they had employees outside the store handing out sample cups. The first time I was approached I said "No, just had lunch." The response was "come in and try anyway for next time."

TamJamB

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
It just seems wrong to me. If you take multiple free samples you have to buy something or you look like a freeloader. Except for the laughing, the OP's behavior was no better than that of the teenagers. If you don't find a flavor you really love, then buy the smallest size of something inoffensive. Anyway, hasn't the OP said elsewhere that she prefers soft, bland foods like tapioca? Surely vanilla frozen yogurt is a reasonable go-to flavor when she can't find something else.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:58:54 AM by TamJamB »

strawbabies

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
I think the problem here is how picky the OP is.  I think if she can try 4-5 samples of frozen yogurt and not like any of them, in the future she should go in and see if they have the one flavor she does like.  If they don't have it, she can turn around and leave.  I've been to several of the self-serve frozen yogurt places, and I like to sample different flavors.  But I always have something I like enough to buy, even if it's the shop's plain "original" flavor.