Author Topic: "Your ring tone is really annoying!"  (Read 12046 times)

Calistoga

"Your ring tone is really annoying!"
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
I've run in to this particular issue many times in many different forms.

"Your ring tone is so annoying! You need to change it!"

My phone used to whistle like an old man, which I thought was adorable, but people kept telling me to change it, so I eventually did. But is there really a case where it's rude to have an annoying ring tone? I know plenty of people with horrible ones- screaming, annoying songs, etc- but it seems way out of line to say "You're ring tone bugs me, change it/turn your phone off/put it on vibrate."

miredrose326

Re: "Your ring tone is really annoying!"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
Honestly, I find everyone's ring tones annoying when I am out in public. My phone is always on vibrate. I think so many people have their phones on so loud, especially people like my mom who is slightly hard of hearing.

I would never say anything to anyone about their ring tone except my best friend. We were out last weekend and her phone started playing Jingle Bells. I may have made a mocking comment about it being March and being a little early for Christmas music.
My beautiful babies 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
Well, I have Fanfare for the Common Man as my ringtone, and sometimes I forget to turn my phone down to a decibel level intended for awake human beings (I have it on a super - loud setting to wake me up) and then I make myself jump because it really is that loud. If it was really annoying for the people I was around to keep hearing Fanfare for the Common Man, I'd probably change it to something less obtrusive. But, on the flip side, I know that it's my phone ringing, since no one else of my acquaintance has that ringtone.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
I would tell my husband or child that their ringtone was too annoying, but I would not tell anyone else. I have sensitive hearing and some of my DH's ringtones have been beyond obnoxious.

My best friend has a text message alert that startles me every time, but I would never ask her to change it.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
I would never tell a stranger/coworker to change their ringtone.  Many have commented on mine but more the lines of, "Wow that is so scary sounding".

It's the tripod sound from War of the World.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
I've had people kind of laugh at mine.  Around Halloween I was in a Joann fabrics when my bff texted me and with that phone I could set a different text alert for different people.  For her it was a witch cackle.  (She loves witches)

The cashier heard it and chuckled and said it was appropriate for the season!  Course it was that way year round, but yeah it was funny given the time of the year. :)   

With my new phone, my general ringtone is "seaside".  It was one of the phone's factory options and it does sound like you're at the beach with waves and gulls.  For bff it's the Wicked Witch of the West music. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
Someone up here at work has a whistle of some sort (not clear if it's supposed to be human or bird). He gets calls a lot. It annoys the livin' shiz out of me. I should not be able to hear your ring tone outside your office.
Words mean things.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Haha Everybody has an annoying ringtone! Everyone finds everyone else's ringtones irritating! Apart from a traditional, medium volume riiiing riiiing tone (like a conventional telephone), I think pretty much all ringtones are annoying. Especially anything involving crazy frog or an irritating cheesy pop song. But it's not a big deal. On the list of things to get irritated about, it's very very low priority.

* I do however think an above poster who set her ringtone to a witches cackle on Halloween is pretty cool. That would make me smile if I heard it.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
I can't imagine telling anyone to change their ringtone, but for a friend or coworker I might ask them to turn the volume down or put it on vibrate if it keeps going and they aren't available/willing to answer it.

The best ringtone I heard was in a diner -- someone had the Old Spice whistle. Awesome.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
The owner of the bakery I work for occasionally has the ringtone that yells "Hey Answer your phone!  Hello! Hello!  Answer your phone!" 

Nothing says professional cake shop like hearing that on blast when you're ordering a $$$$ wedding cake and desserts.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

SiotehCat

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
When I took DS's old phone, I kept all of the ringtones for his contacts. I didn't think they would be so awful.

The default ring tone was a lady screaming. It was from a horror movie.

The one for my mother was a police siren. When I was driving, I always forgot and started pulling over.

I have a new phone now.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
Haha Everybody has an annoying ringtone! Everyone finds everyone else's ringtones irritating! Apart from a traditional, medium volume riiiing riiiing tone (like a conventional telephone), I think pretty much all ringtones are annoying. Especially anything involving crazy frog or an irritating cheesy pop song. But it's not a big deal. On the list of things to get irritated about, it's very very low priority.

* I do however think an above poster who set her ringtone to a witches cackle on Halloween is pretty cool. That would make me smile if I heard it.

It wasn't just for Halloween, it was year round, but at that time of the year it was even more fun! :)

I have to have a ringtone that's a bit more personalized.  Otherwise when other people's phones rang I'd be pulling it out to make sure it wasn't mine.  My notification for when I get emails is a bird chirp and texts is a ship's bell. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »
I would never comment on someone else's ringtone, other than to say "that's interesting".  I think it's rude to comment on a ringtone, I wouldn't comment on someone's choice of jewelry I guess I think it's similar.   

My phone plays Jingle Bells year round - I hear lots of things.  I also have some specialized ringtones for others:

ex MIL - Addams Family
my kids - Jeopardy
latest fling - Baby Your Baby by George Strait
my brothers - Troubador by George Strait
best friends - Thank You for Being A Friend 
my office - Attitude Adjustment by Hank Williams, Jr

I mostly get chuckles and I don't really care what someone thinks about my choice of ringtones.  Surely there are more important things going on in the world...

I've heard screaming babies, dogs barking, loud bells, some type of alarm sound, etc., yes I find some of them annoying, but really to comment on someone's ring tone - how annoying is that! 

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
Just had to share this: Weird Al Yankovic's "Ringtone"  :)

Well, everybody (everybody)!
Everybody (everybody)!
Everybody in the world really hates my ringtone!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
Just had to share this: Weird Al Yankovic's "Ringtone"  :)

Well, everybody (everybody)!
Everybody (everybody)!
Everybody in the world really hates my ringtone!

Five minutes!
Five lousy minutes!