Author Topic: "Your ring tone is really annoying!"  (Read 15703 times)

Saki_Fiz

Re: "Your ring tone is really annoying!"
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
My ringtone in general is the Ramones singing I Wanna Be Sedated. My tone for DH is Bon Jovi's It's My Life... and my text tone is GIR saying "do a little dance"....

But I am sure that I mute it at work because the last thing I need for my coworkers to hear is GIR... because GIR is a lot to explain to most people.

Hi Floor!  Make me a sammich!

;D

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
I can think of only handful of scenarios that would require anyone to have their phone's "ringer" on in a public place. Mine is on vibrate unless it's at home with me and thus it doesn't annoy people around me. I'm not a big fan of unnecessary noise - especially of the inane variety - so ringtones tend to really get on my nerves. I've only said something to someone once, though, and that was a co-worker who constantly left her phone on then went to three-hour meetings, leaving us to hear it ring and ring and ring. Loudly. We finally wrapped the stupid thing in her sweater and stuffed it in her desk drawer, then had a talk with her.

I've never understood the need to have unique ringtones for certain people, either. Surely the person's number and contact information show up on the phone when they call. So why the need for a special ringtone? That's always confused me.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
I can think of only handful of scenarios that would require anyone to have their phone's "ringer" on in a public place. Mine is on vibrate unless it's at home with me and thus it doesn't annoy people around me. I'm not a big fan of unnecessary noise - especially of the inane variety - so ringtones tend to really get on my nerves. I've only said something to someone once, though, and that was a co-worker who constantly left her phone on then went to three-hour meetings, leaving us to hear it ring and ring and ring. Loudly. We finally wrapped the stupid thing in her sweater and stuffed it in her desk drawer, then had a talk with her.

I've never understood the need to have unique ringtones for certain people, either. Surely the person's number and contact information show up on the phone when they call. So why the need for a special ringtone? That's always confused me.

Why not, they're fun and (mostly) free. 

I'm boring and only have a regular phone ringer as my ringtone.  But I have lots of different text tones for different people and things.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 08:04:13 PM »
It depends on the context as to whether someone else can tell you that you should change an annoying ring tone, but I do think that the whistling one is one of the most annoying.

The polite thing is to not have your ringtone be audible by other people when in public--maybe in a grocery store its OK, but I shouldn't have to hear someone else's cell in a restaurant.

For the longest time my husband had a croaking frog as his ringtone.  And not just any croaking frog, but the one that would sit under the downspout on our front porch.  It was a common sound to hear in the summer.  So, when I started hearing it year round it messed with my sense of seasons and I asked him to change it!

Just yesterday I was getting off a flight in Minneapolis and I was hearing the Darth Vader theme from Star Wars.  My first thought was "that sounds ominous."  And then the woman in front of me dug her phone out to answer it...

The Imperial Death March, by composer John Williams.  It's a musical score nearly synonymous with evil.

It is my husband's ringtone on my phone. He is a Sith in cosplay.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
It's just handy for knowing who's calling without having to look at the phone.   I know when I hear bagpipes, it's DH, and if I hear the Wicked Witch of the West theme, it's bff.

That and it's fun to personalize the phone and it is free with Zedge. :)  DH has Scottish heritage and loves Celtic music, and my best friend and I like to joke about being witches and tend to tease the boys by telling them she's a witch. Two years ago she playfully waved a hand at the beach saying "Wavus Maximus" when the middle child asked for bigger waves.   And to even her surprise, the waves did get bigger. :):)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
It depends on the context as to whether someone else can tell you that you should change an annoying ring tone, but I do think that the whistling one is one of the most annoying.

The polite thing is to not have your ringtone be audible by other people when in public--maybe in a grocery store its OK, but I shouldn't have to hear someone else's cell in a restaurant.

For the longest time my husband had a croaking frog as his ringtone.  And not just any croaking frog, but the one that would sit under the downspout on our front porch.  It was a common sound to hear in the summer.  So, when I started hearing it year round it messed with my sense of seasons and I asked him to change it!

Just yesterday I was getting off a flight in Minneapolis and I was hearing the Darth Vader theme from Star Wars.  My first thought was "that sounds ominous."  And then the woman in front of me dug her phone out to answer it...

The Imperial Death March, by composer John Williams.  It's a musical score nearly synonymous with evil.

I thought you were going to say he was a member of the 501st.  But, cosplay Sith is kind of cool too... just not the fan I was looking for.  :(

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
I have R2-D2 as my default ring tone. In the past, I've used "Fruity Oaty Bars" from Serenity. I also have a cat meowing, several songs that I've edited bits out of to use as ring tones, goats bleating (it sounds like an evil laugh), one that sounds like hamsters playing scrabble (I don't actually use it, just have it for giggles), a Mario games death sound, George Takei saying "Oh Myyyyyy", and the Transformers transforming noise. I have several people who have their own ringtones (for Mom and Dad, it's the Muppets doing Mahna Mahna), and I switch out the default ring every so often.

I just switched from that, it was my notification tone. Now it is Droid kills iPhone: http://www.zedge.net/ringtone/1543791/?cep=3. My current default ringtone is Kashmir: http://www.zedge.net/ringtone/1323599/?pos=6&search=kashmir&cep=6.

My mother is the Mos Eisley Cantina band song, my son is the Main Theme to Star Wars.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »

I thought you were going to say he was a member of the 501st.  But, cosplay Sith is kind of cool too... just not the fan I was looking for.  :(

When we have more time/money, definitely!

HoneyBee42

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »
This comic (slightly crass language) explains my ring tone:  http://xkcd.com/479/

I am so there, too!  I have a cell phone because I have to, and my phone's ring tone is a ringing phone.  (I have a pay as you go type.)  Middle son has a cell phone from the same pay as you go company, and he's actually set his ring tone for when I call him to that same ringing phone sound (apparently *no one* else uses that and they all have song and croaking frogs and chirping birds and whatnot, so the old fashioned phone ring *is* pretty unique).

Chaney

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
I had the joker ( http://www.zedge.net/r1273538?src=d ) as my text tone for a little bit & one co worker kept complaining about it so I did change it, and she started in about that one (http://www.zedge.net/r1447422?src=d ) so I told her she had her choice between the two.

emwithme

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
I've got a Beatles Ringtone App on my (Android) smartphone.

My "general" ringtone is "Hello Goodbye".  DH is "Oh Darling".  Other friends and family members have songs that either they like or make me think of them.   

I also use these tones as my alarm - for reminding me to take my pills (four times a day) I have "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and for general waking-up-ness I have "Day in the Life".  It means that whatever noise my phone makes, I know what I need to do. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
My phone ring is Phantom of the Opera, and my incoming text beep is the Star Trek communicator. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Calistoga

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »
I keep special ring tones for people so I know who's calls to ignore right off the bat.

Library Dragon

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:35 PM »
. My current default ringtone is Kashmir: http://www.zedge.net/ringtone/1323599/?pos=6&search=kashmir&cep=6.

My mother is the Mos Eisley Cantina band song, my son is the Main Theme to Star Wars.

Oh this becoming DS1's ringtone.  He's the only family member that gets the Led out.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »
Led Zepplin's cool. 

And everyone I know thinks I'm crazy but I still think that the Kraken music from POTC Dead Man's Chest reminds me of Kashmir.  They don't sound alike but the way the Kraken theme starts out, in my head, sounds like it could have at least been inspired by Kashmir.

Kraken theme: http://www.zedge.net/ringtone/1282745/?cep=0
And Kashmir: http://www.zedge.net/ringtone/1323599/?pos=6&search=kashmir&cep=6
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata