Author Topic: Off Leash in your own yard ...rude?  (Read 11834 times)

snappylt

Re: Off Leash in your own yard ...rude?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »
I'll join the chorus to agree that a dog in its owners fenced-in yard is OK to be off a leash.

However, I, too, wonder if the new people understand about the invisible fence?  If they've been too angry to listen, I suppose it is their own fault for not understanding.  But, to be clear, do the new people understand about the invisible fence?

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
I agree.
dog owner: not rude.
new neighbors: rude.

I wonder what they actually hope to accomplish with the petition. They're going to hand it to the dog owner who is going to say, "Oh! You got six other people to sign this? Of course we will now tie up our dog, and by the way, do anything else you ask us to." ... " NOT!"

These people do sound over the top and I agree that unless the invisible fence can also keep these looneys outside the yard, the dog owners should probably take precautions to protect the dog. In that vein, I would probably just give the dog owner a heads up about the situation.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
In my town, and I suspect a lot of others, there are no regulations about restraining your own dog on your own land. Off your property, yes, there are leash laws. But in my town you have have your unleashed dog outdoors on your unfenced land all you want.

So fence, invisible fence, whatever. The dog owners are doing nothing wrong. And it certainly isn't rude to have your own dog outside on your own land.

Exactly who was this petition supposed to be turned into? The police? The town clerk? If there are no regulations about fences or tying up dogs, no one is going to accept the petition.

But I would warn the dog owners about the petition. As PPs have mentioned, this new family raising red flags for me. Invisible fences may keep dogs in their yards, but they don't stop humans from entering the yard and doing something to the dog.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Lynn2000

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »
Since you are friendly enough with the dog owners to pet their dog, I think it would be okay to mention the petition and the interaction with the new neighbors the next time you see them. Not in a gossipy way, just matter-of-fact so they have more information about what's brewing in the neighborhood. And they would probably feel really good if you reassured them that you don't mind their dog's situation and don't think anything needs to change.

Beyond that I would stay out of that. Maybe, keep a log of your interactions with the new neighbors--if they were so rude to you personally that you had to shut the door in their faces, it's possible it will happen again, and you might have a complaint of your own to lodge somewhere, which the log would help with.
~Lynn2000

MrTango

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
In this situation, I would most definitely let NWD (Neighbor with the dog) about NIA (Neighbor in Apt) know that NIA approached me about NWD's dogs.

If I were NWD and the OP approached me about this, I'd be greatful for the information and I would end up doing two things:

1) I would contact my local government to verify the local ordinances/laws to be absolutely certain that I am in compliance.
2) I would look into the possibility of filing a report for NIA's harassment

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
The neighbours seem to believe that rude = "you disagree with me - how dare you!". It is a misconception commonly held by SS.

I too wondered if they knew about the invisible fence. But, even if they did not, screaming at the dog owner is not the way to go. Refusing to acknowledge that the dog owner is taking care of the pet and escalating the situation is even worse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
You were rude??? Bwahahahaha.

I do hope the neighbors with the dog are going to take precautions to protect her safety. These newcomers sound ... off their rocker about this.

That's a really good point.  These new neighbors don't sound reasonable and I'd be fearful for my pets safety.

I agree, I'd be worried about that too, or that they'd let the dog out or something and then say "oh she got out, you said she couldn't!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
The new neighbors actually said "rude"? I think the new neighbors are trolling for trouble. Maybe they're just trying to get attention, bored or just unpleasant people.

I vote " not rude" by refusing to chain up a dog.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
I do think I might let the neighbors know so they can take action to protect themselves and their dog.  I do wonder what the petition people think they are going to do with said document.  I mean, I can start a petion insisting that I be called "Her Holiness" but no matter how many people I con into signing it, it wouldn't carry any weight.

mandolinn

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
I agree, I'd be worried about that too, or that they'd let the dog out or something and then say "oh she got out, you said she couldn't!"

And not saying they would, but should the dog somehow get out of the perimeters of the fence, there's no way for her to get back in.

Do they definitely know that Trixie has an invisible fence? Walking our dogs last night, two dogs started running and barking at us from a backyard of an unfenced house. Had I not noticed the little sign about an electric fence, I'd have probably been upset.

And not excusing their behavior, but has anyone asked them specifically why they believe Trixie should be tethered? I don't doubt they're being rude, but it seems as if there is something missing (specifically, why they have this interesting assumption that Trixie should be tethered in a fenced-in yard). Normally that might not be something to consider, but this seems to be in the best interest of neighborhood relations. Or I may be off base.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »
I'll join the chorus to agree that a dog in its owners fenced-in yard is OK to be off a leash.

However, I, too, wonder if the new people understand about the invisible fence?  If they've been too angry to listen, I suppose it is their own fault for not understanding.  But, to be clear, do the new people understand about the invisible fence?

I wondered about that too.

BarensMom

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
Trixie's owners need to start keeping her inside and monitor her when she is outside.  I wouldn't put it past those entitled loons to push a bowl of antifreeze or toss a piece of poisoned meat through the invisible fence.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »

I hope the new neighbors were informed about the invisible fence, but in general, I would go a step further and say that having the dog unleashed in its own unfenced yard is fine too, as long as the dog does not leave its yard and doesn't act aggressively towards people nearby. I think it would be unwise to leave a dog loose in an unfenced yard when its people weren't present, but I still don't it would be rude as long as the dog stayed in the yard and did not behave aggressively.

I grew up next to a family with an unfenced yard (no physical fence and no electric fence) and a extremely well-trained dog. They put the dog in his own smaller fenced enclosure when he was outside unaccompanied, but he was allowed to run free in the yard when they were outside. He knew exactly where the boundaries of his yard were and he did not cross them, not even when he desperately wanted petting from us friendly neighbor kids juuust over the boundary in our yard. He also had excellent recall, so he was really "under control" even with no physical leash. IMO that was far preferable to an unruly and/or poorly-trained dog confined only by a physical fence. His owners had gone above and beyond the norm in making sure their dog was well-behaved, under control, and stayed on their own property. I don't think politeness would require them to add a physical fence (standard or electric) just because other dogs would require that measure to be kept within the yard.

mich3554

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
Trixie's owners need to start keeping her inside and monitor her when she is outside.  I wouldn't put it past those entitled loons to push a bowl of antifreeze or toss a piece of poisoned meat through the invisible fence.

I'd tell them too, if only to let them know you are concerned for the dog's safety.

One of the places I used to ride my bike had an invisible fence and left their dogs out all day.  It was pretty funny to watch them, as they would follow me down the fence line watching me ride by, but wouldn't take a step over the line.

johelenc1

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
I would definitely tell the dog neighbors that some crazy people are after their dog.  And, just because I would be hopping mad on their behalf, I would jump right into the middle of whatever was happening.  Unless there is some actual ordinance, the Crazy SS have not a leg to stand on.  And, if there were such an ordinance, the first thing the Crazies would have done it make a copy and drop it on the door step of the dog people.  My guess is there is no such ordinance and CP's are hoping to just pester the DP into compliance.

This honestly just boggles my mind.  Unless they truly don't understand how invisible fences work or that there is one, what in the world is their issue that they need to go around and collect signature to over someone's dog - in its own yard....